Go Bottom Go Bottom

Strange Request

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-21          69317

Peters, Murf or anyone else. Any of you guys know where I can buy a small amount of pure Ethylene Glycol (say a gallon) and some MONAWET MO-70%(pint would work)?

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Strange Request

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-22          69343

You having problems with your glasses fogging up Billy? Maybe you have already seen this. ....

Link:   LIQUID EYEGLASS CLEANER AND "ANTI-FOG"

Strange Request

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-22          69344

Here is another manufacturer's MSDS and contact info. ....

Link:   Bis(2-ethylhexyl) Sulfosuccinate

Strange Request

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-22          69346

Here is a lead on the reagent grade Ethylene Glycol. ....

Link:   Ethylene Glycol

Strange Request

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-22          69347

Last link Billy...promise! ;-) Here is a link to the full listing of chemicals they sell. Might be able to do one stop shopping or at least they could direct you to who can hook you up. ....

Link:   Chemical Catalog

Strange Request

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-22          69350

Billy,
Hilary is not going to win. Everything will be OK.

Now take a deep breath and step away from the chemicals with your hands in plain sight..... :> ....

Strange Request

View my Photos
Billy

2003-11-22          69352

You are exactly right Chief. If you wear glasses and never used this stuff, you've been missing out. I bought some years ago and can no longer find it anywhere. It's the BEST lens cleaner ever made, hands down.

Just thought if I can't find it to buy, I'll make my own.

Mark :P

LMAO ....

Strange Request

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-22          69360

Now if Billy starts asking for some glycerin, 98 molar Nitric acid, & dry ice; we'll need to get him some counciling. ;-) ....

Strange Request

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-23          69379

I think maybe I'll try to find some too. My wife still thinks it's strange that I drizzle liquid dish washing detergent on my glasses and rub them under a running tap. 'You're using enough detergent to wash a whole sink of dishes' she says. It sort of gets them clean and is convenient though.

Chief: I think I recognize that recipe and it doesn't produce dirty dishes. ....

Strange Request

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-23          69397

I used to have a real problem with glasses when I was on winter foot patrol. I would walk out of a -15 outside air temp into a warm smoky bar full of thugs and go blind because the glasses fogged over.

There was nothing I could find that would fix that problem and I learned to anticipate when they would fog over and just take them off until the materials in the lenses warmed to room temp.

I have been similarly frustrated with keeping glasses clean, especially coated lenses with seem to attract grease and dirt out of nowhere.

I have finally settled a system that starts with a hot tap water rinse for the glasses and my fingers to remove any abrasive dust. This is followed by a liberal application of Windex that I rub into the glass with my fingers, paying special attention to the area where the lenses meet the metal frames to remove any grease.

This is followed by another hot water rinse and a thorough drying with a paper towel or a clean cotton cloth.

I have not found anything that works better yet... ....

Strange Request

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-23          69420

Billy, I have never heard of this stuff before, but from what I have read looking for the chemicals you asked about; it seems to work really well. I may have to give it a try as I am always having problems with my glasses fogging up at the worst time. Especially safety glasses and goggles. I don't feel so bad now I am finding out everyone else here wears glasses too! I just started wearing them a year or so ago because I was having so much trouble reading. ....

Strange Request

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-23          69426

It does seem like we are all in various stages of the baby boom generation.

Maybe we gotta hit 40+ before we begin to appreciate the need for space and acreage and thus the need for our beloved compact tractors.

I'd rather wear glasses than be 20 again. ....

Strange Request

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-23          69427

Oh do you have the 20 thing right brother! ;-) Talk about going through a bad patch all over again! I guess wearing glasses is not so bad after all? ;-) ....

Strange Request

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-24          69443

I've worn them since 4th-grade when a school test found I couldn't read the eye chart's second line. School performance hit a rough patch in the 4th grade. Toyed with soft contacts for a couple years but I can't read with them very well and my eyes put deposits on them faster than I could scrub them off. Worked great for soccer and even boxing (with full headgear) and they don't fog.

I still haven't solved the fogging problem although it's a lot less since thin plastic lenses became available. I used tobacco and spit for diving masks a long time ago. Sounds like ethylene glycol might be better, or at least more agreeable. Really is a problem snow blowing without a cab when the wind is wrong. One side of my face gets frozen and the glasses covered with snow and ski masks don't work over glasses. Think I'll see what the snowmobiliers do--boy that snow sure does sting at below zero in a wind and you can't get it off your face and glasses with gloves on. Ive been reduced to colourful language many times. ....

Strange Request

View my Photos
Murf

2003-11-24          69449

Tom, trust me, get a snowmobile helmet with a heated visor, after 10 minutes you'll wonder how you ever did it before you got the helmet.

Personally, I'm lucky, the glasses are still only for detail work & reading so they stay next to my chair & relatively clean. Usually the only thing I have to clean off them is dog tongue & nose prints.

My mother however swears by using a mild solution of Jet-Dry, the stuff you're supposed to put in your dishawasher every month, and water in a spray bottle. Run the glasses under warm water & clean them off, then run them under straight hot water for a minute, then spray them and let them stand for a couple of minutes. They dry very quickly with no water spots or lint and they seem to stay dust-free.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login