Go Bottom Go Bottom

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-24          60087

Since the topic of beer came up in a Kubota thread (Thanks Chief), and beer is near and Deere to my heart (hey, I already mentioned Kubota), I thought I'd start a thread about it.

I like nearly all beer, but the worst I've had is one called Macho beer (with a cowboy on a bucking bronco on the label) followed closely by Corona's that have gone skunky due to the clear bottle. You MUST be macho if you like Macho.

Here in Oregon we have tons of micro brews to choose from, and many of them are darned good. My current favorite is Rogue Hazelnut Brown, followed closely by Widmer Hefeweizen with lots of lemon.

My favorite cheap beer when washing down a pizza is Weinhard's Dark Ale on draft.

As far as domestics, I dunno, Samuel Adams is pretty darned good.

Cheap utility beer you ask? Just about any domestic will do, but Miller Lite is one of my least favorites, although the LESS CALORIES is pretty appealing to me right now.

What about y'all?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-25          60097

I used to brew my own and got so I could turn out a decent English type pale ale most of the time.

What I learned in brewing is that quality recipes use malt and no corn sugar (except to give it the fizz) and plenty of the right hops. Malt and hops are expensive and breweries around here have been cutting quality for quite awhile. Too much corn sugar in the recipe and you can taste the aldehydes that result. That's the 'dry beer' taste along with cutting back on the hops that advertisement turned into a virtue a few years back. It's really just cheap beer. Lite beer too is mostly less ingredients and shorter fermentation times. Another vice turned into a virtue by advertisement.

There were a bunch of micro-breweries around here that used decent recipes. Now what started out as a micro as well as the majors bought most of them up and they survive only in name. In no time at all the products become the standard major brewery slop. Hard to find a decent brew at the beer store nowadays. Hope you have better luck where you are.

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-25          60111

I brew my own beer. People seem to like it. I make an India Pale Ale and a Russian Imperial Stout. The RIS measures almost 9% alcohol, so it also has a stout kick. When it gets a little cooler, I will brew up a couple of 5 gallon batches. It lasts for quite a while if properly bottled.

Tom you are right about the malt. Even though corn sugar is a "natural" ingredient, malt makes better beer and scotch whiskey. Hops make a big difference in the beer, and I experiment with different hops and how they are used from time to time. I have never made any of the specialty beers with fruit. Fruit may go on my breakfast, but not my beer.

There is a US domestic beer that is quite good called Shiner Bock. It is made in Shiner, TX and is worth a try. It is readily available around here, but I don't know how widely distributed it is. I like Sam Adams, Molsen, Moosehead, and most other fuller bodied beers.

Budweiser and some other domestic US beers give me a headache which I don't get with a good ale. So, I don't drink those beers anymore.

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-07-25          60112

Out here in Oregon it is microbrew heaven. There are many small brew pubs that serve only what they brew. Most of it is very good. One thing that some do is to serve a "nitro" beer. From what I understand, nitro beers are simply pressurized with nitrogen instead of CO2. It is amazing what this does to the flavor of the beer - the beer really smooths out, both in flavor and in texture. Nitro beer head consists of much smaller bubbles that last a very long time, and any bitterness in the beer is mostly gone. Usually the nitro brews are the porters, stouts, and bocks and they are almost always wonderful.

I have no brewing experience other than using one of those "Beer Machine" home brew kits for awhile. I actually turned out a decent Oktoberfest ale with the kit once but my wife made me get rid of it because it took up too much room in the refrigerator.

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-07-25          60117

I don't care for the all-in-one systems very much. I use a plastic bucket for a fermenter. I use old glass water cooler jugs for holding the brew prior to bottling. I have been brewing for over 15 years.

I put some beer up in 5 liter kegs that are just slightly larger than a gallon milk jug. Those are handy for parties. Most of the beer goes into 20 oz. brown bottles.

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
Peters

2003-07-27          60232

You must stay up at night thinking up these hard questions. Here in AL is hard to get any decent beer. The county is dry and the material sold in the adjacent counties is nearly unfit to drink. I have not had a case in the house in more than a year. The best I could do here is Killians Red, but often by the time it sold it was out of date and they do not store in the cooler.

I also fine the regular american wheat/rice beers give me head aches so stick to full bodied beers.

The best I have had is homebrew or on tap in Munich. Obviously I need some tips to get started brewing. I have worked only one wort with a friend.

The best beer store in Ontario was Sleemans out of Guelph. I had a ex-student chemist smuggle me some out of the brewery when it first started back up in the 90's and I was hooked. ....

Link:   Sleeman

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-07-27          60237

This hard question seemed like a natural followup to the "guns for self defense" thread. After all, whats better than having a few beers after a hard day of shooting? LOL

I had a neighbor who home brewed. After one particularly nasty smelling batch his wife banned him from cooking it up indoors. My wife would probably do the same to me because she has an incredibly sensitive nose.

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-27          60240

My favorite here is big buck, when in Teaxas its lone star. My wife drinks a blueberry beer from a micro brew in Bar Harbor Maine. I drink so little now that one puts me to bed so even a good old budweiser does the trick. ....

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-07-27          60244

Dave, the next time you are in TX or if you get to NM, you have to try some Shiner Bock. You will not be disappointed. I won't say that it is better than what I make, but it is commercially available and is a good beer.

As far as home brewing is concerned, there are several ways to get started easily. Check out a book "The Complete Joy of Home Brewing" by Charlie Papazian. There is also a newer version called the New Complete Joy of Home Brewing. I am sure Amazon carries these books. These have enough information to get you started and beyond the all-in-one kits. You will make a respectable brew on your first attempt if you follow the directions. If you get into this as a hobby, there are dozens of books available. All of the ingredients are available via mail order. Search on "Home Brewing Supplies."

I like the smell of the brewing process, but because I tend to take up the entire kitchen, I do my brewing when my wife is out of town on a trip. I can imagine how I would feel if I came in and she was firmly planted in my machine shop, so I respect her turf.

My next batch of beer will be made in an unused turkey fryer. It is big enough to boil a large batch, and I don't need to be in the kitchen. I just need to steal the propane from the gas grill for a while and boil the wort.

I have figured that home brewing costs between thirty and fifty cents per 20 oz bottle, but cost is not the issue. It tastes better, it is loaded with vitiman B, and I have NEVER had a hangover or headache from homebrew. There are no preservatives. I have a couple of bottles of beer left from my very first batch, ten years ago, and every one I open is still good. I think that it is best when it is about six months old or older because it gets as clear as glass. It is good to drink in just a couple of weeks if you don't mind it being a little cloudy with yeast. ....

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2003-07-31          60592

The micro's, etc just don't do it for me.
I like good old mass market beer, in the following order:
1. Icehouse (50 cents/can)
2. Pabst (40 cents/can)
3. Sam Adams Lite (70 cents/can, when I want to splurge)
4. Blatz Lite (31 cents/can, when I'm short)
5. Export Lite (40 cents/can; a local beer originally)

My least favorites:
1. Coors Lite
2. Busch
3. Leinkugel Red
4. Guiness (how can anyone drink this oil pan sludge?)
5. Bud (just too big, and too expensive)

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-31          60593

You've got a pretty tough gullet if you can handle Blatz and PBR. LOL! I can go with Red White and Blue beer or Old Milwaukee if times are tough myself. ....

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-01          60614

YUCK ! pooey !! I'll stick with coffee thanx. Maybee when I was 17 on a Friday night. I do like Bud but I used to like it a lttle too much so I dont really touch the stuff much any more other than a good glass of wine or a beer at a BBQ or deer camp. The Guiness can be VERY good if served properly. The kegs must be kept in a seperate coller (higher temp) and pumped with pressurized nitrogen. It is a totally different beast than when it is thrown in with the american beers and hooked to C02. My favorite beverage 1) Caribou coffee 2) Diet pepsi 3)Starbucks coffee. I have no idea what that breaks down to per serving ! ....

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-08-01          60624

You can never really own beer. You can only rent it for a few minutes.

At least when you drink a decent wine, it looks different when it comes back out. ....

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
TomG

2003-08-01          60639

For that reason, I never understood why old Miller's came in clear bottles. Always reminded me of going to the Doctor.

Well, I'll be in a small minority here, which isn't unusual, because I like Guiness but Bass Pale Ale is my first choice. Guiness is good for you, or so it's advertised. It may be an acquired taste though although from different perspective maybe it's just another part of Celtic suffering. From another post, you know I'm adopted in several ways. I also played as a token north american for an overseas Celtic Football Club. Maybe I've acquired an adopted taste for suffering or maybe just some of the culture.

Ya know, a person is supposed to be able to sign their name with a fountain pen on the head of a well-drawn pint of Guiness, and I've done it even with the imported version. It's wonderful sipping stuff. I don't think I've ever made an evening out of it though. You can't actually get real Guiness (which doesn't come in bottles) very far from Dublin 'cause it doesn't travel well. Too bad I haven't had the opportunity.

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-08-01          60640

Jim, if you are going to post the price, I will beat you every time with the cost of my homebrew. Five gallons for about ten bucks worth of malt, hops and bottle caps and a little spare time. Any arguments about the cost of my time won't cut it, because I like making my own ale and it qualifies as recreation to me.

Mark, you get a nice color change when you drink stouts, amber ale or bock beers. If those come out the same, you should see your doctor immediately. :-)

I have switched from quantity to quality.
I only drink single malt scotch and good old fashioned ale/beer. (I guess this could be my Scotish heritage) ....

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-08-01          60643

I had my Scottish heritage confirmed just the other day when a moth flew out of my wallet. ....

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-01          60644

I had angels fly out of my...wallet. They were of course all carrying harp lager ! ....

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2003-08-01          60646

Speaking of Guiness, have you ever noticed that when you pour a can of Guiness into a glass, the bubbles actually go down, instead of up? Interesting and true fact... ....

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-01          60651

I never noticed that, but then my glass was always upside down ! ....

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-08-01          60653

Bubbles going down...sounds like a physical impossibility.
I think a properly designed scientific experiment is called for. Should be an enjoyable challenge. ....

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2003-08-01          60669

Well, actually what happens is the bubbles come up the middle in such abundance, that when they get to the top, they are pushed to the sides of the glass, and drift downward on the inside (assuming it’s not so full that if foams over the top). And, since it’s a dark beer, you can’t really see the bubbles coming up the middle, so all you see are the bubbles going down. I would agree, an experiment is in order for any non-believers. ....

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-08-01          60674

I'm not an expert, but I've heard that beer in clear bottles goes bad fast because light does something to ruin it. It seems to be true because I've had a LOT of skunky Corona's and never a bad Dos Equis. Sunglasses are good for your eyes, and you can think of dark bottles as being sunglasses for beer. LOL

Like you Tom, I love Bass ale, and Guiness can be really good if served properly. I like most of the Canadian beers, too, like Molson and Algonquin, but I've had some bad Molsons. Don't remember if those are in a clear bottle.

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-08-01          60675

I believe you and I still think an experiment is in order. You need to have you finding confirmed by an independent outside investigator. ....

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2003-08-01          60681

I’ve done some home brewing also, and would agree with the dark bottles being better. It seems to keep, much, much longer in the dark bottles, kept in a cool place. Same goes for wine, most definitely. The last few years I’ve stuck to the dark beers, i.e. stouts and porters. Though I’ve never tried to home-brew a dark, that Russian Imperial Stout, mentioned earlier in this threat sounded mighty tasty. ....

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-08-01          60683

For the sake thoroughness, we should mention NA beers. I have found these to be better with a shot of vodka in them. ;-) ....

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-08-01          60690

I do it a bit differently. I have a shot of NA beer with a vodka chaser :) ....

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2003-08-01          60691

Well, please remember that “In heaven there is no beer, that's why we drink it here” Now everyone sing along :-)

I wonder if there's tractor dealers? ....

Beer for drinking

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-08-01          60692

Oh great! Now that song is going to be rattling around in my head all afternoon. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login