Go Bottom Go Bottom

Favorite scatter guns

View my Photos
Misenplace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-09          57146

Well we have discissed the 357 max, and hand guns in general as well as BBLG's. Do we have any clay target shooters or Bird hunters ? My personal one at the moment is a Berreta 687 Silver Pidgeon clays gun That I use in the field as well.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Favorite scatter guns

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-09          57162

I am a Life Member of the NSSA, NSCA, and Benefactor Member of the NRA. I did an extensive amount to of Skeet and Sporting Clays shooting and competetion when I was stationed in Europe but just did not find the time when I got stationed at Ft. Campbell. I use a Browning 4 Barrel set for .410 bore, 28, and 20 guage and a Remingtion 11-87 Primier for 12 guage which I have modified for recoil. Lately medical issues kinka limit me as far as recoil. Also have a Rotweil 650 Field gun. Seems like skeet and sporting clays have gone the way of bass fishing and some other professional sports. Too many stickers, patches, sponsors, anc commericialization from when I was shooting 15 years ago. I may go back and try my hand at it again. I would prefer to try a Krieghoff K-80 with a tube set if I started shooting again. They make a nice gun. I was very fortunate to get a personal tour of the Krieghoff factory from Dieter Krieghoff in Neu Ulm with a friend several years ago. It was amazing seeing all the work and craftsmanship that went into making a shotgun. I even did my own reloads for the 12 gauage. That was when you could buy reloading materials in Germany without a big hastle. I still have about 20,000 empty shell hulls down stairs. I think the reciept I used was something like 25 grains of SR7625, Winchester 209 primer, 1 1/8 oz. shot, and Windjammer wad in a Remington Blue Magic Hull. I use Winchester 3/4 oz. target loads now. ....

Favorite scatter guns

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-09          57184

My favorite shotgun is my Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon Sporting Clay version. I use it for general hunting as well as clay targets. It is a 12 and I have standard hunting version Berretta Silver Pigeon in 20 ga. I also have a Browning Citori that I like, but I like the Berettas better.

I also have Remington pump and auto shotguns, but I like the O/U guns because of weight distribution and feel. ....

Favorite scatter guns

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-09          57188

ACZ, I actually use the 687 Silver pidgeon sporting clays model. I Currently have 2, one 28" barrels the other 30. The 28 is standard but the 30" is XX wood. I am very fond of theese except for the weight in the field, they are after all clays guns. I have considered a Browning superlight a few times but still saveing my pennies for that special 28 guage bird gun. I used to use the Winchester AA loads as well but after they started makeing them in Brazil a few years ago I found too many split caseings so I now use the Remington Light target loads. ....

Favorite scatter guns

View my Photos
Billy

2003-06-09          57190

Heck, I'll just stick with me old trusty Remington 1100 12ga. ....

Favorite scatter guns

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-09          57192

My first shot gun was a 1100 with a ventillated rib, skeet grade. Its over 30 years old and still works like a top. A couple of years ago I added a different barrel to convert it to a Duck Gun for my wife. ....

Favorite scatter guns

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-09          57201

Doc, I started out the the very same shotgun. Great shotgun too! After about 5,000 rounds it threw the ejector claw on the bolt along with a few other parts. I orders new parts from Remington and rebiult it. I finally sold it to one of the soldiers at work and he is still shooting it and loves it. ....

Favorite scatter guns

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-09          57206

I shot a Remington 1100 skeet in college. That was when it was still considered OK and proper to teach shooting in a college and have shooting teams. I sincerely doubt that they do it anymore.

After I graduated and had a job, I bought my own 1100 Skeet which I still have. Later it got a 30" full choke Magnum barrel for longer shots and later still it got a 28" screw in choke barrel. It is still a very good gun.

I also have a Remington 1148 (modified choke) that works fine. And I have a Remington 870 that I am not afraid to take anywhere. (Including a few places where I might not want to take the Berettas.) The 870 has a slug barrel as well as a 28" screw choke barrel.

For light weight I like the 20 ga Beretta, but the weight is not a big concern for me. ....

Favorite scatter guns

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-09          57210

My 1100 certainly has had a few repairs over the years. When I was a teenager I used to shoot skeet as fast as I could reload the shells. God only knows how many rouds went through that one. I sent it out to Briley a few years back and had it redone, lengthen the forceing cone, back bored ported. This was again for my wife when she was learning to shoot. The weight of the Berreta 12 really only bothers me after walking 3 or 4 hous looking for pheasants and generally I think with a much lighter and shorter gun I would certainly benefit when paying the local grouse a visit. Works well for turkeys with the Undertaker chokes. I do use Briley ported chokes the rest of the time. ....

Favorite scatter guns

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-09          57218

I don't use it a lot, but I have a Savage 24V which is 20ga under a .222 rifle barrel. I should have the .222 rechambered to .223 which I shoot a lot more. This is a nice gun to take on desert camping trips.

I also have a Springfield Armory survival gun. It would certainly qualify in the top ten for the most butt ugly guns in history, but the .410 combined with a .22 LR barrel is a nice combo to keep in an airplane or truck. I keep few .410 slugs along with a few birdshot loads with it. ....

Favorite scatter guns

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-09          57238

Sounds like something the Germans hunted with. There are very limited in the number and type of guns they are allowed to posess so they have combination guns like that called "drilings" because they can be 3 different guns with a tube set. a shotgun/rifle & double rifle. Krieghoff makes some which were very beautiful but also very expensive. ....

Favorite scatter guns

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-12          57432

Technically these might be called Drillings, but they are crude compared to some of the European versions that I have seen. I like the versatility in one gun if I am going some place where I don't anticipate using it.

When camping, for example, it is nice to have a gun that could handle two or four legged varmits, but I would never anticipate hunting with such a gun, but you could. You would just be carrying around an extra barrel that you probably cannot use in any normal situation. For a camping trip, I would generally take one of these and a pistol of some sort.

The Stevens is an OK looking gun, but the fit and finish are not high quality. The Springfield looks like a parkerized machine part. It doesn't even have a regular trigger, but has a squeeze handle trigger like used in very cold weather with mitts on the hands.

The Springfield "survival" gun was one I bought expressly to throw in the back of a small plane. If you are forced to land in a rugged place, even a .410 and .22 LR would be real handy. ....

Favorite scatter guns

View my Photos
Ktallman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-12          57436

I have been shooting trap for about 30 years. I started out with a 1100 Remington. It is a fine gun. I presently shoot my Browning BT99 or my Browning Citori Ultra Trap over and under. I also have a Winchester 101 Pigeon Grade Trap over and under. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login