Go Bottom Go Bottom

Premium Members Get Photo Album Image Load Feature

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-19          53419

Premium Members!

I have completed our new Premium member only Photo Album capability.

You now can upload, modify and maintain your TractorPoint Photo album of up to 5 Images.

Images will be accessible when a member clicks on your name and brings up your profile. Your Profile will have a link to your album page.

Premium Members will administer their Photo album from their personal profile page by clicking on "myProfile" on the menu.

Loading a new image into the same album position replaces the old image.

The current size restriction is 30 kb for each image. This means that you will need to do some compression before sending them to TractorPoint. I suggest you use a package such as "jasc Photo Shop Pro" or similar package. You should resize your image so that it is less than 600px wide and use the jpg image type. Keep on making adjustments until you get the file size under 30kb.

If you attempt to load an image larger than 30 kb, the system will abort the load as soon as it hits 30kb. The image will then appear truncated on your TractorPoint Photo Album page.

I encourage you to start using this feature, I will probably have to change things as we use it, let me know what works does not work.

To see how it works click on premium member "cutter" then click on the camera.

Thanks
Dennis
TractorPoint

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-19          53423

Dennis,
We got the first image in no problem, but I can not get a second image in and it is under 30kb and a JPG file.
I noticed cutter's pics were large and mine is very small am I doing something wrong? ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-04-19          53424

pics are small because i had to keep shrinking it before it would except it with out saying file was to large. must still be a little glitch because i could only load one pic even after altering other pics to correct size.looks like your close to dailing it in though, its going to be a neat feature for the site when its completed. GOOD WORK keep it up. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-04-20          53430

got all 5 pics loaded this morning , losing a lot of clarity having to shrink below 30kb.cant figure out how to view full screen like cutters yet. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-04-20          53432

Great Pix, is that huge tractor yours?

How are your shrinking your images?

I am using Macromedia Fireworks MX, Jasc Photo Shop is also a great package for making images smaller.

For an Example I can reduce the image you submitted a while ago that I placed on the TractorPoint Photo page down to 30kb with a width of 600px and a quality setting of about 55%. I can also do the same image at 400px and 75% quality as well to get the 30kb size.

Your images are only about 200px wide, you may have to find another graphics software package.

I have done nothing to the system since you first indicated you had problems, so maybe the interface was less than intuitive?

Dennis
TractorPoint ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-04-20          53433

I am using HP photo imaging editor, and no I could only dream of having that model thats one of my neighbors many. I've learned a lot about tractoring from him as well as this site . ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-04-20          53434

That's a JD 6410 , he calls that his compact,imagin that! ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-04-20          53435

I have added a feature to the full thread message page so that if a Premium Member has Pics in their TractorPoint Album the Camera icon will display, if no Pics no Camera icon.

View my Photos
plots1

2003-04-20          53436

dennis is there a way to change photos in album from time to time ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-04-20          53437

Plots1,

Yes.

You have 5 picture album slots, to put in a new picture, in slot 3, simply choose "Picture 3" in the upload "drop down" box. You can change the pix as often as you like.

We keep your 5 pics on our site as long as you are a "Premium" member, and you can change any one of the 5 pics at any time.

We will not store your previously loaded material.

Dennis
TractorPoint

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-21          53468

The size of an image file has a lot to do with the image itself. Compression doesn't reduce the size of a highly detailed image as much as a simpler image. A simpler image of 30K will have a larger screen size than a more complicated image of the same size. Different software also has a range of quality for both image scaling and compression routines. Some digital camera software has a format called JPG(fine) where little compression is used. File size won't be reduced for images saved in this format.

An image looses quality every time it is scaled or compressed and most JPG software compresses each time a file is saved. Clearer images result if they are scaled and saved only once. For a file that must be 'tinkered with' it's better to start with the original each time rather perform editing on top of editing and save multiple generations of an image. Quality also depends on the software used. Shareware software such as Pro Paint, which I use, is decent but not as good as pricey software used professionally. Some software supplied with consumer products isn't very good.

Specialty compression software is available but is mainly used by web designers who lack quality image editors. I really don't know how successfully it reduces file size compared to modern image editors. Despite the gadgetry available, cropping probably is the best way to reduce file size. Most pics have a bunch of extraneous image around the subject. If a tractor is the subject, frame it with minimal borders, which chops out most of the sky, trees lawn, buildings and shrubbery that doesn't actually contribute to the subject.

View my Photos
plots1

2003-04-21          53471

im using a canon power shot 2.1 megapixal may if i change settings on camera it will take on differnt affect? ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-04-21          53473

If your camera generates jpg do not do anything with the Camera, this is a software only issue to get your photo web ready.

If you have a broadband connection send one of your cameras images as it comes from the camera in jpg format and I will show you how it looks if you use Macromedia Fireworks MX.

Dennis ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-04-21          53478

sent pic of deer weapons afer making changes to cam and using differnt program to size, looks like thats the ticket ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-04-21          53518

To jump start our Premium Member Photo collection I will accept one or two jpg images from each member via email and I will do the resize and load of the image for you.

Please only do this if you are having problems with the resizing of your images.

I have been searching for something you all could use that's free and good to resize jpeg files, but I have not come across anything yet

Dennis
TractorPoint ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-04-21          53525

Great feature Dennis, I love it! Now that I have all of the lumber cleared from my lawn that the ice storm deposited, I will have some time this weekend to look at the member's pictures (between rolling the grass and burning brush). ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-04-23          53639

Dennis.... my photo's were all around 128 kb. So what I did was open the photo with "paint" and clicked "image" and then "stretch/skew" I entered 55 in each stretch box and the photo's reduced to about 29 kb.

Give it a try.... it appears to work and most computers have "paint" on them.

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-04-23          53641

Awesome pix,

I have been trying to envision your setting in Nevada for some time. Looks great!

Great tip on "Paint" for the images from my camera about 33% does the trick, you just have to experiment. Maybe I will create a howto for this off the photo page.

Thanks Mark!

Dennis
TractorPoint ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-04-23          53646

The "Add a Photo Page" for "Premium" members now has a "Howto Resize Photos" link that takes you through how to get your digital images down to the 30 kb maximum by using "Microsoft Paint" which comes standard with all Windows Operating System machines. For a 2MB image I had to reduce it to 19% in "MS Paint"

The Quality from MS Paint is not too bad, but it is not near as good as using "Macromedia Fireworks", or Jasc Photo Shop", or other imaging software where you can get a bigger image and better resolution than "MS Paint".

Dennis
TractorPoint ....

Link:   Howto Resize a Photo to 30kb

View my Photos
Peters

2003-04-23          53647

OK Mark I played all day trying to get the 30 KB photos to load and *&!!!&%#. I was trying to compress them so!!! ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-04-23          53657

Eric, put some air in that tire. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-04-23          53658

Eric,

Seeing those pix you sent me so long ago is great, and it points out two things.

First that I was very slow at putting up pix because it took me so much time to do it, and also that I was so slow that I just lost your pix.

Second that it is great to see all of the members being able to add and delete their own stuff to the board as they choose and not depend on me to do it.

Were you using the "Hunstiger Method" (MS Paint) or some other resize approach?

Dennis
TractorPoint ....

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-24          53669

I'm fairly certain that the best way to shrink pics for web use is to start with smaller but uncompressed camera images. The compression done by my camera just isn't very good. I'm certain that's true for images that use text. Of course to start with small camera images, you'd have to know the pics were intended for low-resolution screen use and accept that the images wouldn't be much good for anything else.

I've added text to full sized images and then scaled them down for screen use. Text is much crisper if I shrink the pics before adding text. In photo images, I've had apples disappear from trees and flowers disappear from pickerel weed in both printed and screen versions. They're still there in full sized screen views, but shrinking and compressing the images causes detail to disappear.

Another issue I've had with my garden variety digital camera is that the small extreme short focal length lens used seem to cause a lot of perspective distortion unless the camera angle is horizontal. Point the camera down to take a pic of somebody in a chair and the corners of the walls converge at the top. I've had to use correct the perspective with my graphics editor to keep the people looking normal and where they were living from looking like trapezoids. The solution here would be a digital camera with a 'real lens' but those sure are pricey.

Despite my 'issues' I imagine that Dennis's how to will produce perfectly acceptable images for use on the site, and the service is a good one to have.

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-04-24          53684

I think I have 5 or 6 resolution settings on my camera. Knowing I was going to post the pictures here I shot on the lowest setting and still got 128 kb per picture.

I did an experiment using the lowest and highest setting to take the same picture a few seconds apart. It resulted in one frame with 122 kb and another with 1.2 mb ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-04-24          53686

i did the same, and found that its better to use lowest setting on cam for posting to site ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-04-27          53833

I'm using Paint Shop Pro, have Corel also. I tried the puter Paint program. I must be missing something real easy here. Color Depth? What setting? Like Mark said Cutters' look real good. Cutter can you tell us what/how you did it. TYPE SLOWLY! SO I CAN UNDERSTAND the process ;-)!!!

Thanks Harvey ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-04-27          53855

I think Cutters pics have been hanging around the web site for a long time. I clicked on them and they are all 60 kb+ so they do not meet the current criteria.

Harvey, lets start with the camera. My camera has a memory card. If I use the highest quality/resolution settings the memory card only holds 12 pictures. If I use the lowest/"internet transmission" settings the card holds 70 images. So the amount of data in the images is different depending on how you set the camera.

If I try to squeeze a high resolution pic down to 30 kb it would be a thumbnail because I am reducing it from 1.2 million down to 30 thousand.

When I reduce a low resolution pic form its original 120 thousand to 30 thousand I get something the size of a postcard.

There are two ways to reduce that I know of, and I am certainly no expert. I have examples of both in my pics.

The first two are cropped. I cut the heart of the photo out and sent just the center. All of the unnecessary background was trimmed and deleted.

The last three are shrunk. The entire image is intact, it is just smaller overall. It is important to shrink horizontally and vertically using the same percentages.

If you look at Plots pics some of his are shrunk vertically only and he looks kinda squished.

The horizontal and vertical shrinkage is what I do in Paint...Image...Stretch, except I don't stretch, I shrink by reducing the dimensions to 55 percent of the original size. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-04-27          53863

Dennis;
I have photopaint and adobe but could not resize the picture but was trying to compress the files to size. Yes I resorted to Marks method after hours of play.
Eric ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-04-28          53890

Mark You did an excellent job of typing slowly. Had to chuckle about shrinking vertically... I do that to the wifes pic's shrink vertically ;-)!!! It keeps me in trouble...

I guess I'll have to shoot a couple for this project and see if pixeles reduced in camera is different than software reduction. I usually carry extra flash cards so I can shot on highest quality. I never know when that shot of something special will come.

I've been resizing and reducing pixels per sq inch with software. It seems the only way. Camera is also only changing pixels per sq inch.

Thanks for shedding light on Cutters quality work.

Harvey ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login