Go Bottom Go Bottom

spell checker

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-10          45971

I found a link to a download that offers a spell checker for IE. Great tool, I hate to find misspellings due to haste/oversight in my posts and can not go back and edit them. I just downloaded it, seems to work exactly like spell checker in OE. Here it is.

Link:   

Click Here

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

spell checker

View my Photos
Stan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-12-10          45972

Cutter -
Great site, and I know I can use the help, my brain works much faster than my fingers. ....

spell checker

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-10          45975

Thanks Cutter, this saves a lot of time over cutting and pasting in 'word'. ....

spell checker

View my Photos
cutter

2002-12-10          45976

I've never done the cut and paste but sometimes open MSW to check spelling on lesser used words. ....

spell checker

View my Photos
Billy

2002-12-10          45978

I downloaded it but can't get it to install. It says Error registering component ieSpell.dll. It must be something to do with Win 95. Maybe they'll have a fix for my prob soon. Thanks Cutter.

Billy ....

spell checker

View my Photos
cutter

2002-12-10          45979

Do you have the minimum requirements as listed in the website? My XP worked seamlessly. ....

spell checker

View my Photos
Billy

2002-12-10          45980

Yeah, I got the minimum covered. I sent a bug report in to them. I bet it only effects Win 95 users.

spell checker

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-12-10          45981

Billy, See if it will install on your tractor.
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Works great on my 98 SE. ....

spell checker

View my Photos
Billy

2002-12-10          45982

&$#% &#$ Mark :P lmao

spell checker

View my Photos
TomG

2002-12-11          45997

I write in the post window and then cut and paste into my word processor to use its spell checker. The spelling may end up correct even if it's for the wrong word, and it doesn't keep me from butchering grammar. I'm amazed how often I read some gross language butchery I posted several days earlier and find myself in the edit window thinking 'Did I really write that?' Even though I've written primarily on screens at home and work for over 15-years I don't think my on screen proof reading is every going to be worth a wilt--err whit uhhh ever. ....

spell checker

View my Photos
cutter

2002-12-11          45999

OK Tom, where is the edit mode? I remember Dennis saying he was going to add that feature when he went to the new format but I never have been able to find it. Planned on going back to work today after a long weekend and woke to the sound of dripping water and a laundry room flooded. Ten year old H2O tank decided to leak, now I'm in for a day of plumbing. It never ends. ....

spell checker

View my Photos
cutter

2002-12-11          46000

One thing I have noticed with this checker, if you are using the pop-up window reply, you have to right click on the dialog box so the program recognizes which spelling to check and then select check spelling. ....

spell checker

View my Photos
TomG

2002-12-11          46008

When I'm reading a thread there's a name/data box at the left for each post. On my posts, there is 'clickable' text for 'edit' and 'delete' right below the post number. I use them both regularly. The edit is for my proof reading stupidity and the delete is for other stupidities.

Maybe the kids of the present will get this on-screen proof-reading right, since they grew up with screens. I think it's hopeless for most of my generation no matter how much time is spent writing from screens.

Here's a tale to put things in perspective. In the early 80's I was seconded to a systems department. It was a traditional COBOL systems shop. I was always one of those math types who had to program their own number crunching because programmers had trouble with the math so I understood mainframes. It was the early days of PC's and COBOL folks didn't know quite what to think about them--except they were certain that USERS should have system support to go along with their PC's. Sort of an oxymoron that led to the information centre--a definite oxymoron.

So, the systems dept. had a couple of PC's and dot-matrix printers in a room just to see what they'd do and a few people had started writing memos on them. Once somebody noticed a bottle of whiteout sitting on a case right beside a screen and wondered what in the world who ever it was thought they were going to do with it. I'm sure that person (and it wasn't me) is as tied to paper now as then.

Who ever it was probably went from COBOL programming to information engineering when COBOL programming crashed as an occupation and of course information engineering was about as useful as white-out on screens. My generation for the most part will remain hopeless.

spell checker

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-12-11          46009

cutter,
Toss your cookies, wait you are working on the waterheater not the toilet.
OK cerealy, delete your present CTB cookie and sign back in as Cutter with a capital C. Dennis has the edit function set up to recognize screen names that start in upper case. When you change your cookie the edit function will automatically appear. ....

spell checker

View my Photos
cutter

2002-12-11          46010

I don't understand how you could have this and I don't. All I see is number of posts,date and post number. Nothing click-able, that's for sure. Just heard back from the plumber, $430 for a new tank and I can use his helper for an hour this afternoon to help me install it. I guess as far as my sore back goes, that should be enough to set it into place and allow me to finish the job. That condo in Vegas sounds better all the time. ....

spell checker

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-12-11          46013

Cutter,

It seems that email based userid's were not seeing that feature, so I changed your userid to match your screen name, with your same password.

Just use the "login" item at the top of the page to reset your account and all should be fine, type your userid as it is displayed "cutter", userid's are case sensitive for the edit feature.

DennisCTB
TractorPoint.com

spell checker

View my Photos
cutter

2002-12-11          46023

Mystery solved, thanks Dennis. I am half way through my water tank change-out and am taking a break while I await delivery of said item. Nice vacation day huh? ....

spell checker

View my Photos
cutter

2002-12-11          46034

Project done, dinner eaten and HOT shower taken. That is a difficult spot to work in, I hope this one lasts more than the 10 years of service I got from the old one! Now that my vacation is over, it's back to work tomorrow. ....

spell checker

View my Photos
TomG

2002-12-12          46046

Cutter: Considering your ABS post, it does sound like you had a very rough vacation. I was seldom happy to return to a job (not the same as work) but I'd probably make an exception if I ever had your experience. ....

spell checker

View my Photos
cutter

2002-12-12          46066

You know Tom, it was an impromptu four day vacation to unwind between end of year review writing/interviews and it turned into something you would see in a comedy movie. To top it off, I came down with a virus on Friday that is still with me. My theory is that once you pass 50, every day you are vertical is a good day, so I try to keep it all in perspective! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login