Go Bottom Go Bottom

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
pbenven
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-05-06          38210

Hello everyone. Pleased to make your aquaintance. My name is Paul and I'm a tractor addict.

I'm sure most of you started out your Internet search for tractor information by visiting the manufacturer's web sites. Were you as disappointed as me? Did you wonder why their Internet presence was so sparse?

It's sites like this that are truly valuable resources for us and future tractor owners. What makes a site like this so valuable? Yes, reliable hardware is important so that the site isn't down 70% of the time. Also important (and often taken for granted) is a good webmaster. But, you've got nothing if you don't have us: the members and visitors who post this wealth of information for each other's benefit.

This post is an attempt to get some site feedback so we can make this place our own.

What would you change/add/remove from this site to make it easier to navigate,
more helpful, or more informative? Post those ideas here and we'll hash them out one at a time amongst those who it will affect the most - us!

What do you think, Dennis?

Paul

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-06          38212

Paul,

This is a great idea. As the operator/programmer of the CTB, I definitely get jaded in my vision of the board. Because of this I may not see what is obvious to first time and regular visitors.

Paul has already been very helpful by pointing out some registration bugs, and also suggesting that we give a more affirmative indication of your "Login" status on each page.

All of the code that makes the CTB work is custom coded from scratch by me, so you get the benefit of doing almost anything you want, but without some of the benefits of "off the shelf" packages that other sites use.

For me I prefer the custom approach and I welcome hearing about things that are working, could work better, or simply need to be added.

So as Paul said :

"What would you change/add/remove from this site to make it easier to navigate, more helpful, or more informative?"

Give me your honest feedback, and we can prioritize a list to work on to make the CTB your Board for your tractor addiction.

Regards,

Dennis
CTB ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-06          38219

Hi Dennis,

I miss the look of the old home page, it seemed to invite you in. I liked the poster ranking you had by the week and year. It would be nice to have a user profile available to read and perhaps a ranking as to the number of posts submitted.

Out of your control are things such as pictures. I am surprised by the lack of participation in that area by our members. I enjoy looking at the projects of participants and have personally shared my barn building experience on film.

One more thing for now. Could the messages as posted view be expanded to look like the old format or is that not possible now and I have missed it?

Thanks Dennis! ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-05-06          38222

Yes the current home page was supposed to a temporary page, it needs to be redone, I plan to use my new digital camera to help make it more inviting.

Over the last weekend thru today I have been working on displaying the user profile. If you go to the "messages as posted" page I now have links to the users profile on each users name. I also have created a change profile page that you can get to from the "myProfile" menu item or when you view someones profile. It will take a couple of days for me to spread this out to all the other pages. Take a look and let me know what you think.

On your last item, are you talking about the full text message listing or another page?

Thanks for your feedback I will do my best to be responsive to your input

Dennis
CTB ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-07          38242

I get along with the format OK, although I tend to use only the 'messages as posted' screen. I guess might have navigation problems if I tried to thoroughly search specific subjects. The few times I do an archive search it seems to work OK. The search does seem to search the message headers rather than the text bodies. Fair enough: Full text searches take a lot of computer resources. I guess that puts a burden on users to name their posts well and to stick to the subject. Fair enough.

Still on the fair enough tack; for people who want to post pictures, it seems fair enough that they provide their own picture links. Transmitting and storing pictures also takes a bunch of resources.

I wouldn't have known how to set up my own pictures with links until recently. I started developing a web page for my township library board, and it's really fairly easy. If I was motivated, I could send and store pictures on my own account. The few hits I'd get probably wouldn’t create any additional charges from by service provider. However, I haven't been so motivated, because I actually prefer the relative freedom from pictures enjoyed here. Some might observe that I’m all too eager to spend my thousand words instead.

My only suggestions is that sometimes I forget to change the posts to 'do not notify or display.' I can get e-mails from a year old thread. I also can't find a 'previous page' button on the massages as posted' screen. The site works just fine for me. I recognize that if I advocate putting on fancy features that require computer resources, then they have to be paid for, and usually by a bunch of web advertising stuff that I’d just as soon stay free of.

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
pbenven

2002-05-07          38244

I share Tom's view about the 'Notify' and 'my Email' selections when posting - I would prefer the default to be 'Do not Notify...' and ' Do Not...'

A chance to preview one's post would be a nice extra, although not as important to me as a chance to edit one's posts after the fact (an 'edited' flag should appear on these posts).

I'm a new member of this board and so far I'm finding the "Messages as Posted" method the easiest way of keeping up with new posts. ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
pbenven

2002-05-07          38245

I just updated my profile. I entered my tractor and equipment but the information "didn't take." Is there a limitation on the type of characters allowed? I administer a production server at work and I know it creates all kinds of problems when users enter quotation marks in some text fields. ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-05-07          38248

Recap of changes:

1) Jazz up the Home page
2) More Pictures
3) Create another messages as posted view to be defined by Cutter
4) Add more features to the Search item like search in message text
5) Look into allowing users to upload picture images to the CTB
6) Change the defaults to "do not notify" and "do not display" or make these set at the User level rather than at the message level.
7) Number the pages for messages as posted and other screens and allow for picking a particular page << page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >>
8) Ability to preview and or edit your own messages with an message edited indicator.
9) Correct the profile to allow for single quotes

Dennis
Ctb ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-05-07          38259

Improvements/Changes:

Now up on the menu bar your userid or your unregistered status is displayed on each screen, Thanks to Paul (pbenven)

The today and fullthread pages have links to each posters profile/bio, we also display post counts now. Each of you can edit your profiles as you like.

Names of Unregistered users on these pages (above) are in italics.

Dennis
CTB ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
David Waite

2002-05-07          38281

I miss the last week view. I noticed I seem to miss a lot of posts because someone posted a new topic and the last topic disappeared. ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-07          38286

I scan periodically and look for items that I can help with or get help on. I don't tend to go back and look at all the listings in a topic. I tend to stay in the discussion board. I think it would be nice to have the last two or three post for active post topics, such as NH, Kubota and JD. ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-05-07          38288

I just completed a new home page which is the page you come to if you access jplan.com or you click on "home" item in the top menu. Thank you to Cutter for this suggestion.

It includes the top ten posters in the last week or so plus their message count and a link to their messages. I hope you like it. I plan on putting more pix in all the board categories.

Dennis
CTB ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
pbenven

2002-05-08          38302

Dennis, The new home page looks great. Congratulations.

Another suggestion, based on my assumption that more traffic is better than less traffic: The automatic e-mail feature that sends you a message when somebody responds to a post contains the actual response and a link to the thread.

May I suggest removing the actual response from the message and leaving only the link, while perhaps adding summary information like subject, thread title, time of post, user who replied, etc.

Again, this is solely based on my assumption and I willingly accept criticism. ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-05-08          38303

I just checked out the new and improved home page. Looks great! Makes me feel like an average guy though. I have a green tractor with 41XX on the side, I have a Toyota Tundra Pick-up, and I have weeds. Wow. Middle America. ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
cutter

2002-05-08          38308

Thank you, and I like it as well Dennis. We need some links and more pictures as you mentioned, but it is a great start. Personally, I prefer the whole message sent to me when I receive a reply. Lets me know if I want to answer it. ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-05-08          38315

I have modified the new Homepage to include a "Hot Topics" list box which displays the subjects with most posts in the last 5 days in "most posts order" you can go the subject by clicking on the Subject in the list. You can scroll it to see about 50 subjects.

Would anyone like to see the same thing for "unanswered" posts??

I also put a direct link to the "Messages as Posted" and "Active Subjects" pages right above it.

Dennis
CTB ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
bigbukhntr

2002-05-08          38321

hi dennis, great site, have really learned alot...

but. how do i register to become a member? i thought i already was a member, but since my name is in italics, i guess i am not...when i tried to register my user i d , it told me the name was already taken...how do i go about becoming a member if cant register? ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-05-08          38328

bigbukntr,

Sorry about that! I have been making so many changes that I inadvertently overwrote a new file with an old version. But I think all is well now and I set up an account for you, you need to check your email for it, you need to login when you get here again, and you can change your password under the "myProfile" menu item ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-05-08          38338

I have made another change to the homepage. It now also has a listbox with the "messages as posted" as well as "hot subjects"

Dennis
CTB ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-09          38353

Dennis: The list boxes on the new page seem like a pretty good way to follow discussions of interest--as long as the subject stays the same I guess. I haven't actually tried to click on a title in one of the boxes, but I imagine I'd go right to the thread. Pretty good idea I think. ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-09          38358

Dennis the home page is nice and all that but, personally I did not even know that we had a home page.
I have my browser set on jplan.com because 50% of the time I look throught the board and the other 50 I am lookin for something and I like to use google. I guess I thought this was home page. When I hit the go into CBT it goes to the discussion board not the home page. ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
bigbukhntr

2002-05-09          38377

my sentiments exactly peters....i have the CTB board listed on my favorites...and it automatically goes to the discussion board...but the home page did look real swift and Dennis is doing one heck of a job with this board....thanks again Dennis ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-05-09          38378

The Home page has multiple purposes:
-- It is the first page that new visitors see
-- It should have some dynamic content that should be of interest to current users.

It would help me to know which pages you guys have set up as your "favorites" link and I might be able to make that page more useful for you. So please tell me the address you are using:

Discussion jplan.com/cgi-bin/tractor/summary.pl
As Posted jplan.com/cgi-bin/tractor/today.pl
Active jplan.com/cgi-bin/tractor/main.pl

or other page.

Thanks,
Dennis
CTB ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-09          38386

Dennis;
I guess I steered you wrong. I guess I am more hard core than most tractor nuts. I have my Browser home page set on the jplan.com. It automatically is there when I start up the browser. The fact that you have google on the page then allows me to head off for some searching or communicate the the other tractor nuts.
If it enter the board out of the Jplan heading then I do not hit the home page but the discussion board. For me this is fine but I had never browsed the home page and I thought a new person might be better drawn through the home page.
Eric ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
cutter

2002-05-09          38395

Mine is set to go to the home page. I like the new features Dennis. You have done a great job here in a very short period of time. ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-05-09          38403

Thanks Cutter and others,

The "messages as posted" page now has a Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ...20" at the bottom that allows you go back and forth thru the last 20 pages or 1800 hundred messages in posted order. The page you are on is in Bold after you pick apage other than page one.

I will try to get this on the other boards /forums

Dennis
CTB ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-05-10          38448

Peters,

I redid the page you goto if you just link to http://jplan.com, so now it no longer does the auto redirect, and it has the Google Safe Search at the bottom, and a picture of a JD 790 in the middle.

I know,I know awful lot of green pix, I will get some none green pics soon I promise!

Dennis
CTB

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
bigbukhntr

2002-05-10          38457

hi dennis....my browser goes directly to "jplan.com/cgi-bin/tractor/summary.pl...but i am checking the homepage now that i know there is one ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-05-16          38683

The member profile page now accepts single quotes and double quotes in the text and also supports carriage returns fro paragraphs.

Dennis
CTB ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
pbenven

2002-05-16          38684

Hi Dennis, I just updated my profile - thanks.

Is it possible to "freeze" the post quantity listed under the poster's name so that the number that appears is the quantity of posts made up until that point?

Also, a real nit-picky one: When you insert a link in a post, the title is squished up against "Web Link." Could a space be added?

You're doing a great job.

Paul ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-05-16          38685

Paul,

I made both of those changes, the post count now refects the number of posts up to the time of post you are on was made, so the number increases in any thread where you post more than once.

Thanks for the input.

Dennis
CTB ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
pbenven

2002-05-16          38688

Just a test to see if I understand. ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-05-16          38690

Paul,

Is that what you wanted??? In regards to the message count for each user?

Dennis
CTB ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
pbenven

2002-05-16          38691

Yes, Dennis - exactly. ....

Site Suggestion Box

View my Photos
cutter

2002-05-16          38693

I'm really liking all these changes. I would be happy to send you a Kubota picture if you want to break up all that green Dennis! Or how about an old Allis Chalmers? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login