Go Bottom Go Bottom

New CTB Version Needs Volunteers for Testing

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-10          34411

If you would like to be a "pre relase" test user for the NEW CTB site that will be released shortly please let me know.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Paul Fox
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-01-10          34415

Sure, sign me up! ....

View my Photos
Gary in Indiana

2002-01-11          34449

I'll be happy to help. It's the least I can do for all this board has helped me. ;o) ....

View my Photos
RoyJackson

2002-01-11          34450

I'll give a hand as well! ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2002-01-12          34452

Does the new version have a way to display our chat in "mixed subject" fashion? I always use the "today" format on this board where the subjects are displayed in chronological rather than subject order.
It feels more comfortable to me if we let the conversation go where it will instead of confining it to a certain subject.
Now I've gotten curious again and am wondering how many of us use the subject format and how many use the "today" type of format when they go to the web page? I know that on my browser the site always comes up in the subject format and the first thing I do is push the "today" button...

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2002-01-12          34453

Roger, I bookmarked the "Today" page, so that's where I start. I, too, just use the chronological list. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-12          34460

Me too. I go right into the past 48-hours page so I can see the full threaded discussions where there have been recent comments added.

I don't think the new forums are quite linked to the new posts form so I'll add one here under 'Carpentry.'

My wife found a book titled 'Sheds' by Stiles. The guy builds sheds commercially and has collected some designs from around the world. the book gives basic plans and materials for a number of designs for specialty sheds.

The designs tend to be toward what I'd call 'designer sheds' and the carpentry tends toward the fancy. However it's a good book for people who may want a basic utility building but may also are thinking perhaps they really want something a bit unique.

View my Photos
ctbtest

2002-01-12          34466

The "Posted Today Full" page has two arrows in the column headings for "Time" and "Forum" columns. Clicking on the arrow in the "Forums" column will sort the messages by Forum and subject in date recieved order.

This should look like a threaded view but without indentation. ....

View my Photos
ctbtest

2002-01-12          34469

The bug on the "Reply to" link at the bottom of a follwup page has been fixed ....

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-12          34470

Can a method be added to attach pictures to posts? I do like the way the posts display. It is nice to be able to use indents and line spacing when entering a post and have it show up that way on the board!

Cutter ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-01-12          34472

Ok, I guess it is a good cause. Would have agreed sooner but I am tired of testing software for billionair named Gates for free. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2002-01-12          34473

I always enter by way of the "today" forum. If I want to do some specific research, then I wander. I fully agree with Roger, focus is usually on the front page and it is easy to engage everyone on the site in that fashion. As long as a topic field is included in the initial posting, they can be archived in the appropriate topic databases later. ....

View my Photos
MarkS

2002-01-12          34487

I also usually view and post via the "today" option. THat is unless I have something specific I am wanting to ask about, then I will go to that particular area. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-13          34498

I'm working through the new page today. Yep, a good cause and no billionaires here that I know of. In fact, I'm making an assumption that one goal of a new format is to reduce operating costs by cutting reducing the site traffic. Cutting down the amount of script that has to be loaded would do that, but also would provide fewer site features. If this is true, I can accept it. There's nothing I've seen in the new format I can't live with. Some of it like the new display of messages is a lot better.

I guess what I miss most is not being able to reread messages I want to reply to after clicking the 'response' button. Since my short-term memory isn't great first thing in the morning when I'm usually on, I could end up reloading the page a lot just to check what I'm replying to. Reloading costs money I think. I also find I'm using the browser 'back' button a lot to get from the response page back to the messages page. I'm not sure if the page is reloaded each time I go back the messages page.

I still can't tell much difference between the full and compressed views, except the compressed view doesn't have the sort arrows. The only message views seem to be 'full;' and 'compressed' and these are only the past 24-hour messages. I haven't figured out how I'll work it when I miss several days. I think the forum page would be a bit awkward for catching up on a week or so.

In all this I have to keep in mind that mine isn't the only 'user view' in the world. I spend most of my time replying to threads rather than posting new messages. As such, the forum view isn't especially interesting to me. I'm discussion, rather than subject, oriented and I need a forum only to have someplace to put any new posts I make. I do have to remember that I was very subject oriented when I first started using these boards, and that I used forum views a lot.

View my Photos
Roger L.

2002-01-13          34502

Tom, I just posted a message under "creeper speed....." where I mentioned the same thing: that it sure would be handy to view the message while responding. As you say, this is probably something that a "responder" would notice more than someone who only reads, or always posts new subjects. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2002-01-13          34506

Dennis, what is the difference between the full and compacted message boards? Also, after posting this message, what is the best way to get back to the boards? Last time I looked, the new "message posted OK" page didn't have buttons on it to get back to the boards. Maybe that has been changed....and I'll find out right about now... :-) ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2002-01-13          34507

OK, I see now. After posting Ican go directly back to the discussion boards, but not directly back to the "posted today" in either full or compacted form.
Pay not attention to that guy over in the corner talking to himself.....:-) roger ....

View my Photos
ctbtest

2002-01-13          34509

OK now we have the choice of a pop up window for replies important feature, Thanks guys. And for those that don't have javascript they can click the reply in the same window button.

The difference between full and compressed is that the full version displays each posting with the subject in the order posted. So you will see the same subject over and over again in the listing based on whenever somebody put up a message in that.

On the other hand the Compressed view says:
-What is the most recent Post on the board for a Subject and when, and how many replies are there.
-What is the second most recent reply to a Subject
- and so on

There is no subject redundancy in the Compressed format so you get to see all the active threads for a period of time.

If you guys have another name for these views that helps let me know.

I think I can make the Compressed view so that you can sroll thru them from current posts to the begining of CTB time so that you can catch up on other messages.

View my Photos
Roger L.

2002-01-13          34546

OK Dennis, now that is fast service! I do like the pop up window. Thanks. And now understand the compressed format....nope, I can't think of what else to call it, but I bet someone can. Roger L. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-14          34552

Thanks for the pop-up reply window, and I figured out the full and compressed message views. However, this morning, I scrolled to the bottom of the compressed messages and ended with a message rather than aa set of alternatives to click on. I don’t know I saw all messages in the view or not. I noticed that the full view grays threads that I have accessed. I interpret the grayed subject headers as 'accessed during the past 24-hours.' Several threads I read yesterday were grayed but there were new messages I hadn't read today.

I'm still not sure exactly how I'd review something like the past week's posts. Both message threads seem to be for the past 24-hours only, and I can't find most recent post dates on the forums. Maybe there's a way I haven't found, but the only alternative looks like going into each forum and then scrolling to the bottom of the messages to check the latest date. Hope there's some better way than that.

I've seen a number of format changes on various boards. They all produced some degree of dissatisfaction among participants. This one has been handled by far the best so far—the last one wasn’t bad either. Congrats Dennis.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login