Go Bottom Go Bottom

A very sticky situation

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-03-27          25957

Friends, I just came in from 'rescuing' a neighbour and thought I would pass on a little wisedom from his misfortune. He, like we all were at one time, is a Newbie to the tractor life. In fact he (read his wife) claims it is because of my equipment that he purchased his. Anyways, he thought he would get a jump on the spring clean-up chores since we no longer have winter here (Toronto, Cananda) so he put his (almost) new bush-hog on his machine and headed down towards the pond to cut the dead bullrushes and long grass next to the pond while there is no snow, but the ground is still frozen, or so he thought.... Long story short, when the machine started to bog down he correctly tried to high-tail it for solid footing, problem was gravity and his machine had other ideas. You cant believe how hard it is to pull a 30hp machine with a loader in front and a bush-hog in the back out of a pond. Todays lesson, just because you can walk on it doesn't mean your machine can too. Be careful, or be embarrassed. Luckily nothing was hurt but his pride, but what a washing job he has ahead.... Best of luck folks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

A very sticky situation

View my Photos
Stephen R. Cebenko
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-03-27          25960

Common sense always needs repeating.
P.S. Don't give up your gun rights! ....

A very sticky situation

View my Photos
Todd

2001-03-27          25964

Hey Murf, Last spring my dad wanted to move back the brush border around my back yard. I guess 2acres isn't enough backyard for me to have to cut. Anyway, I locked the belly mower up, put the rotary cutter on, and away he went. 30minutes later I look out back and see my dad waving a mayday at me from behind the pond. Seems he finished expanding my back yard, and decided to add a new patch to it. Since we do cut the area behind the pond about twice each summer(when the pond is just a dry pit that is), there were tire marks that my dad decided to follow. Well, my little 2710 with turfs was in so deep by the time he realized the ground was a swamp and he was just spinning his wheels, that there was water over the axles. Guess who got to wade in with chains and a come along. Had to anchor it to a little 3" tree, drop the cutter, and shove 2x10 boards under the back wheels and lever the tractor up before we got it out. Killed the poor tree, came half out of the ground. Clean up was actually easy since it was so wet, but I'm not gonna do that again! And neither will my dad.
Todd ....

A very sticky situation

View my Photos
RCH

2001-03-29          26056

Here is an English site with photos of tractor misadventures including getting stuck http://www.profi.com/local/english/profiset05i.html ....

Link:   

Click Here

A very sticky situation

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-03-29          26065

Yuppers, my neighbour sure looked like a Mr. March 2001 alright........ ....

A very sticky situation

View my Photos
Dan Bessette

2001-03-29          26080

Ain't gravity a bitch?? (pardon my French)
Seems like it's about our worst enemy, huh?

A very sticky situation

View my Photos
RCH

2001-03-30          26097

"Ain't gravity a bitch" - I don't know,finding things is hard enough; at least it keeps things where you put them last! ....

A very sticky situation

View my Photos
Murf

2001-03-30          26102

Actually, I had a Proffesor in University (Aeronautical Engineering) who taught us that there was NO SUCH THING as gravity......... THE EARTH SUCKS......(his words exactly), although I liked his analogy of helicopters, he stated (absolutley correctly) that they don't fly, the earth is repulsed by them. From a purely physics point of view he's right.

This has nothing to do with tractors, but it made me smile.......

More ramblings later, I feel a coffee coming on..... ....

A very sticky situation

View my Photos
Ted Kennedy

2001-03-30          26103

Murph, having made my living designing the tooling that builds the "repulsive" helicopter for over twenty years, I got a kick out of reading your post. I once tried to explain In Ground Effect (IGE) and Out of Ground Effect (OGE) to new hires, hence the repulsive nature of the beast. They didn't have a clue. But you do know, that once OGE altitude is reached, helicopters do fly, or at least their airfoils do, all on their own. And I knew I liked you for some mysterious reason other than being a kindred spirit of the tractor and landscaping world, and now I know. Kolibri! ....

A very sticky situation

View my Photos
Norm

2001-03-30          26104

Re. helicopters, I once worked with some people that did some contract work for Sikorsky and their general description of a helicopter was "a loose collection of parts, flying in formation". ....

A very sticky situation

View my Photos
KlayW in MI

2001-03-31          26146

Norm, I thought that was ANY military aircraft! lol ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login