Go Bottom Go Bottom

Howto Link Images to Messages

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-14          148219

Murf's instruction on linking an image from your photo album:

The simplest way to do it is to select the picture you want from your album so it's enlarged in the main part of the screen, then click the RIGHT mouse button, and go down the list to, and click on "properties" and a little box will pop up showing a bunch of info, the line "location" in Firefox, or "address (url)" in IE. Just highlight and copy the address or URL into the "Picture / Image URL:" box at the bottom of the message posting window.

To add to what Murf said the first step is to right mouse click on the image you want to copy the link from then:

1) In IE when you go to the properties box you have to make sure that you don't get duped into thinking that the link is fully displayed, for long links you have to drag your mouse from "http" all the way to the right to expose some hidden text until you see ".jpg" or ".gif" at the end.

2)In Firefox you can just click on "Copy Link Location" to copy the address.

3)When pasting into the image link in Tractorpoint you need to make sure that you have only one "http" in the link. I put one in there already to show you that your link address must begin with "http" but it must be removed or pasted over.

Sorry if this is confusing ;)

I may put a feature in that when you post you can just pick one of your pictures to display or paste an external image link in.

Dennis

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-14          148230

Dennis CTB,

I just learned how to use the photo posting stuff at MSN, which is quite easy.......but even I had trouble with it at first.

Posting a photo at this board is not nearly as easy, and I'm not sure I'll ever figure it out......but this isn't your fault.

I'll keep trying, but I hate to keep bothering you with all the janitorial duties when I mess up.....which is why I am so reluctant to attempt to post photos here. I don't like to be a nuisance.

Joel ....

View my Photos
Billy

2007-11-14          148232

Joel, if it's a picture that's already on the net then it's pretty simple. You get that picture in your browser and copy and paste the address from the address bar to the Picture/Image URL box. Just like posting a link that you did earlier 'King Kutter Cement Mixer with Hydraulic Top Link' :)

If you're having a specific problem then ask away. I betcha we can get'er figured out. ;)

Picture Link
Website Operations Howto Howto Link Images to Messages

View my Photos
Murf

2007-11-14          148237

I second Billy's comments, any moderator, myself especially, would I'm sure be more than happy to help out any way we can.

Dennis is more than generous with his time here already.

If you want to you can use the "send a private message" function on the members profile page to ask a question in private. Just click on a members name and if they have activated that function it shows at the top of their profile page.

As my Grandfather taught me, the only dumb question is the one that DOESN'T get asked. ;)

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2007-11-14          148241

Practicing...

Picture Link

View my Photos
cutter

2007-11-14          148243

One thing I just discovered that may help some users that are relying upon a hosting service. The link that has worked best for me is the one that says "direct link to image". I did manage to make the "hotlink for forums" choice work on that other thread, but not here. I believe that is the one Dennis cleaned up. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-14          148244

OK....I'll try this again. If it doesn't work, I don't want to bother anybody with fixing it for me.

I'll use this topic to hack away at this thing until I either figure it out, or give up.....again. hehehe.

Joel ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-14          148245

Well, that's the result I usually get. Reload and fire again. hehehe.

Joel ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-11-14          148247

Joel you put the link to the page not the image.

1) go to that page
2) put mouse over image
3) right mouse click to get menu
4) pick properties menu item
5) use moouse to copy link on the "location" line containing this text:

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0YgBsHLcfUkfOcsOm4PGJxLipsasFzJnRr
!YuTctEEGzDNFaNKgIKwTlIKCXOeeyChKz08diunfehfmhLgylgD7MTFfoBq6qxa
spUMNpaORAdH9IxSFRa220gyfzWvYeg3n*FZlg9hN2V520Pryv!0A/Tractor%20
Weights%203-Point.jpg?dc=4675647339289677295

then paste into tractorpoint image box ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-14          148250

Thanks Dennis.

I stopped copying the link when I got to the ".jpg"

I'll try your suggestion.

Joel ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-14          148251

Once again, following Dennis' instructions as closely as I am able to.

Joel ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
cutter

2007-11-14          148252

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1333/dashsu0.jpg

Joel, try pasting this link into a message. That is the one I used a couple of posts back. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-14          148253

Once again.

Joel ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-14          148254

OK....I copied the link Dennis posted and then pasted it directly to the image box. No luck.

I'll try the link you posted, Cutter. Thanks for your efforts.

Joel

Picture Link

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-14          148255

Well, I'm making progress.

Cutter, I'm still trying to figure out how to create a link that will work with this site.

I copied the link to the photo which came from one of my MSN groups. Dennis posted the link to the photo for me, but after pasting it to the image box, still no luck.

I'm afraid that I'm doing nothing but wasting everyone's time with this. Oh well, if you're willing to put up with me, I'll keep trying.

Joel ....

View my Photos
cutter

2007-11-14          148256

Joel,

Try this site for hosting your image.

http://imageshack.us/ ....

View my Photos
Billy

2007-11-14          148274

Joel, for some reason the Picture/Image URL box is dropping part of the address to your picture. It's something Dennis is gonna have to fix on his end.

Don't give up yet.

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-14          148276

Thanks Billy.

I was beginning to think that it might be best to just quit bothering everyone. Besides that, I was doing nothing but making a complete fool of myself.....but that's something I have NO trouble with. hehehe.

Joel ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-11-15          148291

Joel Ok !

Thanks so much for being a Quality Assurance Professional!

Yes it was not you. I was only allowing 140 characters for the maximum length of an image url. Yours was about 250 characters.

I have set the maximum length above this so you can paste long ones in now.

Still one issue though, in IE the image from your site still does not display until you mouse over it and right click and choose "show image". Not sure what that is about.

Anyway we are getting there, thanks for helping out!

Dennis ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-11-15          148292

I think I figured out the problem, the picture that Joel is trying to link to is in a "members only" section with restricted access, when TractorPoint tries to load the picture those nice people at MSN don't allow it because TP is not a MSN signed in member.

Try as Cutter mentioned linking to a 'public' picture like on PhotoBucket or ImageShack or one of countless other free servers.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-15          148294

Dennis CTB,

Many thanks for your help.

I'm happy to know that it wasn't entirely my fault. My confidence level is slowly - slowly - increasing. hehehe.

I still haven't figured out how you posted that photo of the cement mixer. I can't seem to separate the photo from the page at Northern Tool. How DID you do that? Oh well.

Joel ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-15          148295

OK.......

With everyone's help, I'm going to try posting another photo. According to Dennis, this may not work without first right clicking and selecting "show image".

Joel

Picture Link

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-15          148296

I wish there was an option for adding bold and larger text when posting to this site, but I'll settle for "viola". hehehe.

Thanks Dennis. It works like a charm now.

Joel ....

View my Photos
Billy

2007-11-15          148301

Joel, to separate the image from the page as in the mixer pic...

Using Firefox you right click on the image and left click View Image. It will open up in a new window containing only the picture. Then you use the URL in the address bar as the link.

In IE it's a little different. You right click on the image and choose Properties and copy the Address. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-15          148326

I believe it was LWayne who posted a message here telling about the new BobCat CUTs.

This might be a picture of one.......but since I didn't make it to Grand Forks to see them, I'm not entirely sure.

Joel ....

Picture Link

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login