Go Bottom Go Bottom

Flooring Thresh holds

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-26          34964

I am changing flooring between the hallway and the bedrooms. There will be 1/2" difference in floor height. I am planning on placing thresh holds at the door. The flooring is heart yellow pine. I would like the thress hold harder wood, any ideas or should I stick with pine?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Flooring Thresh holds

View my Photos
David Waite
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-01-26          34981

I would stick with the yellow pine to match the rest of the floor. I would also put 1/2 inch plywood down to keep the floor level. It doesnt sound like much but a 1/2 inch is an ankle buster just waiting to happen. Walk crooked on it once and really twist something and then it is to late. Pick a wide board for the transition between room and hallway. just MHO ....

Flooring Thresh holds

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-27          34991

I think I'd put 1/2" plywood down over the lower floor, which would eliminate the need for a threshold. I think people expect thresholds on exterior doorways but not on interior floors. It probably would work to cut a 1/2" rabbit on the bottom of a threshold to match the difference in floor levels. However, I think the 'step over' and change in floor heights always would seem strange. There might even be relevant building codes to check.

If a threshold is the way to go, most any wood can be used. Hardwoods like maple are probably lighter than the pine to start with and could matched closer to the pine with stain or pigmented finish. Birch is harder than pine, works easily and doesn’t have much of a grain pattern when finished. For darker hardwoods, they can be lightened with straight household bleach and then finished to a desired colour. Water based bleach does raise the grain, and bleached wood has to be dried and sanded (or preferably scraped) before finishing. Porous hardwoods such as walnut and oak need to be filled with past filler before finishing or the pores always show.

Flooring Thresh holds

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-27          35003

Being basicly cheap. Too much Scotts in the mix I guess. I was thinking of not putting 3 layers in the bedrooms. I guess you are saying bite the cost and time and lay the second layer of plywood. ....

Flooring Thresh holds

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-28          35026

I'm just reeling obscure and maybe irrelevant associations off the top of my head. A possible reason for not using a threshold is that forced heating systems for some rooms depend on a gap at the bottom of room doors for the cold air return. Of course a louver panel could be put into the door. Don't know, but I just think I'd be happier with the same floor levels. Maybe just thicker plywood for one layer would do it.

About half my old soccer club was from Glasgow with another third from Belfast. There is a difference between 'frugal' and 'cheap.' A way of referring to somebody thought to be 'cheap' is: 'He's the sort of person who backs out of a pub while waving hello.' I don't know if using something like 'floor leveler' would be considered frugal or cheap.

Flooring Thresh holds

View my Photos
Peters

2002-02-09          35427

I guess I am not cheap but frugal as Tom states.
I could not see floor leveler as a solution as I have leveled some areas of the floor already after the second layer of material. These areas will have marble, (definately not cheap). I bought the marble in a lot load at 1$ a sq.ft. (definately frugal).
I added the second layer in the bedroom but did place the threshholds in to allow the change in direction. They are sanded to the same heighth. ....

Flooring Thresh holds

View my Photos
JimTN

2002-03-14          36347

I agree that people do not expect thresholds and different floor levels on the same floor in a home. Some of my grandparents lived with my family as I grew up so needs of older people were evident to me. Then, I looked after my mother and an aunt for 13 years. Now, I am as old as my grandparents were when I thought them to be very old.

Thresholds and 1/2 inch difference in floors might not bother you now, but that time can come at any moment. If not in your immediate family, you might need to care for an older person who would have a problem.

Just my thoughts, having cared for several elderly before becoming one.

Best of luck. ....

Flooring Thresh holds

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-03-15          36371

By definition, a threshold is a raised area under a door. In the Middle Ages when straw was the hot ticket in chic flooring, the threshold kept the stuff from spilling out of the house when people and domestic critters came and went, hence the name. I think what is being discussed here is a transition between different levels of flooring. A half-inch is a pretty common level change between a vinyl floor and a carpet and we just automatically step over these areas when we walk because our eyes and brains can easily perceive the change and subconsciously adapt. I would just take a board near the width of a human foot, say 8 or 10 inches and fashion a wedge shape and use it as a gradual transition. That's my two cents. mark ....

Flooring Thresh holds

View my Photos
Peters

2002-03-17          36429

I bought the extra plywood to level the floors and still made up threshholds to allow the direction of the wood flooring to change with the joist layout. In fact I went one further placing the same threshholds in the closet doorways. This allowed me to use scraps in the closet and not need to worry about cutting pieces around the closet. ....

Flooring Thresh holds

View my Photos
Peters

2002-03-17          36430

I bought the extra plywood to level the floors and still made up threshholds to allow the direction of the wood flooring to change with the joist layout. In fact I went one further placing the same threshholds in the closet doorways. This allowed me to use scraps in the closet and not need to worry about cutting pieces around the closet. ....

Flooring Thresh holds

View my Photos
Peters

2003-11-13          68690

I finally posted some pictures to show how this looks. Image 1 and 2. Naturally I still have not painted the caulk at the bottom of the doors. ....

Flooring Thresh holds

View my Photos
TomG

2003-11-14          68711

Looks good even w/o caulk & paint. I seem to recall quite a discussion about this threshold awhile back. Nice to see the results. ....

Flooring Thresh holds

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-08-06          114467

A bit off center on this reply, but nonetheless some trivia about the word "thresh hold" or "threshold". The word goes way back to the middle ages when homes (huts really) had threshings of grass or wheat, oats, etc. on the floor as a covering. At the entry doorway they placed a piece of board under the door to "hold the thresh" down hence "thresh hold." ....

Flooring Thresh holds

View my Photos
grinder

2005-08-08          114516

earthwrks
Great trivia!! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login