Go Bottom Go Bottom

trenching sprinkler lines

View my Photos
DanaT
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-09-14          19800

OK guy's, My local hardware store owner asked me if it was possible to dig a trench 4"wide & 12" deep with my 855, and of course he wants a clean cut in the yard. does any one know how to build something that works without spending a bunch of money?I live in a small town & knowone has a trencher to barrow or rent. any sugjestion's

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2000-09-15          19805

Sounds like he really wants a trencher like phone companies use to put in residential underground lines. That sounds like a pretty specialized thing to be found in a 3ph version, but who knows.

I've heard of people digging those sorts of trenches with chisel type plows by using only one ripper. However, I don't imagine they would leave a clean enough cut--it would be fast though.

View my Photos
Richard Harburn

2000-09-15          19816

One question - why 4" wide for a sprinkler line? Check out Kwik Trench and EZ-Trench (use a search engine and look for "earth saws" and/or trenchers). Some use a wheel with carbide teeth and some have a flat blade with teeth welded on to give a particular edging cut or vertical cut. These are not typical chain type trenchers but are portable machines. A depth of 12" is about the limit for these small machines. ....

View my Photos
droz

2000-09-15          19820

Well, here is the bad news. I have used them for my Bobcat and they are 1)very expensive ($4000. to go to three feet and more for deeper) and 2)take a huge amount of hydraulic power (I had to upgrade to a 46 HP Bobcat to be even able to use it) and 3)if you hit a large rock, you need your backhoe anyway. ....

View my Photos
David Brienza

2000-09-16          19824

When burying a low voltage wire for a dog fence, I rented an 8 hp edger with a straight blade. I was able bury 1500 feet of wire in 2 hours. The machine was able to cut through roots easily. I was even suprized to see that it cut through a brick that happened to be laying a couple inches below the surface leaving both halves of thebrick in place after going by. The width of the cut was only about an inch to 2 inches though. Perhaps two blades could be mounted side by side to get a wider cut.

I think I paid less than $50 for a half day's rental. I had so much time left after burying the wire that I switched to the edging blade and edged all the beds.
-Dave ....

View my Photos
RCH

2000-09-17          19847

In the Farm Show that just arrived( Vol.24, No.5,2000), on page 30 a New Zeelander has an attachment for chain saws that cuts a trench 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide and as deep as 25 inches,depending on the saw. The article says contact FARM SHOW Followup, Doug McFarlane Ltd.,33 Lincoln St., Hamilton New Zeeland (phone 011 64 7 8476734)
FARM SHOW,www.farmshow.com is a wealth of nifty ideas,inventions from across the world and would appeal to most poster. They offer a free issue on thier web site but it's only 18 bucks a year (8 issues, I think) the "latest" issue featured on the web site with a sampling of articles is the one before the one I just got in the mail. FARM SHOW makes a unique gift for tinkerers and fixer, it has dozens of videos and CD-discs for restoring older tractors and back issues. Easily, it's the most interesting pulication I get.BTW,I have no proprietry interest in FARM SHOW, just a very satisfied customer. ....

Link:   FARM SHOW

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-09-18          19880

Dana, I'm not sure just how far south you are, but up here in the Great White North, we only open a 2" wide, 6" deep trench for sprinkler lines, since unless they are deeper than 4' they have to be blown empty in fall or they will freeze and burst. This can be done easily with many simple arrangements on your compact, in fact, many more than I'm sure you would like to see listed here.... Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
California Boy

2000-09-18          19899

Dana,
Bolton Power Equipment (www.boltonpowerequip.com) makes a PTO based trencher capable of 6" wide and 12" deep. It costs $1495, and requires at least 21 hp. Never used one, but I am thinking I might buy one. I need to put in a new irrigation system for about 250 trees. If anyone has used this device, please comment. ....

Link:   Link to Bolton Power

View my Photos
Kim Hartshorn

2000-09-21          19958

The easiest inexpensive way to bury flexible pipe or wire is to buy a j-shaped piece of exhaust pipe...and strap it with hoseclamps to the tool bar on a subsoiler. The idea is that the horizontal part of the j will point out the back of the subsoiler just above the bottom of the blade. The vertical part of the j will come up past the implement frame. To lay flexible pipe you just feed it through the j...it lays in the bottom of the trench in the wake of the subsoiler and the soil then falls back on top of it, no removal of soil is necessary. It helps to run the subsoiler through a couple of times with out the pipe feeder attached until it runs easily at the desired depth.

good luck

Kim Hartshorn

View my Photos
george, keoke

2000-09-21          19966

Hi folks, I do the same thing as Kim expect that I used a 1.5" piece of electrical pvc long 90 degree sweep (schd 40 or 80).
Hope this helps,
george, keoke ....

View my Photos
niteman

2000-10-06          20357

I was looking for something to bury cable and found this. I am thinking about getting it. Its worth a look. ....

Link:   3-point trencher

View my Photos
Ken Califf

2000-10-08          20425

Check out Cadplans.com, they have plans for a trencher that attaches to 3 point hitch and can be used to bury pipe/wire. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login