Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tire chains for my JD 4400

View my Photos
Hillbilly
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-01-23          23601

Hello,I hope everyone had a good Holiday season,we finally had some snow here in West Virginia,I found out these R-4 tires are not worth anything on frozen ground and snow.I have about 180lbs in rear wheel weights on each rear wheel.I need advice and or recomendations on where and what to get for a GOOD set of tire chains.I need something aggressive,as I need to get to the woods and move some timber.We have lots of hills where I live and traction is of most importantce.I want good chains and will spend the $$$$$$$ as needed. Also any recommendations on or against front tire chains?I have a tire size of R4 15x19.5Thanks much and G0D blessHillbilly

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-01-23          23602

I made my own out by re-sizing old truck tire chains. My dealer looked at them and told me that although they are nice, several local tire stores made better custom tractor and truck chains for about $400 to $600/set of 4. Some things I've noticed are that good chains fit the profile of the tire accurately and come up farther on the sidewall (1/2 way to the wheel rim) than car chains. For traction you don't need cross links closer than about every 6 or 8 inches, but the more cross links you have; the smoother the ride. Cross links shaped like an "X" work even better. Chain lugs which fall between the tractor tire lugs are NOT a problem. Cleated chains and special link shapes are not necessary. Due to their contour and sidewall shape, the chains have a definite inside and outside which makes them fit tightly and puts all the smooth surfaces next to the tire. The final connecting links are massive and high quality with lots of leverage when they close. They lock securely and also tighten the whole chain - they cost about $30.00 each and are well worth it. I put a twist of wire around the the final connecting links to secure them anyway.
The chains for the front are much, much lighter in weight and chain size. They can't be too light or fit too tightly. I made mine from a lightweight set of chains for a lightweight FWD imported car. They are more than adequate. All the same ideas apply.
Putting on the fronts is easy. Lift the entire front end with the loader. Putting on the rears requires a bottle jack. I leave them on all winter, and even use them in the summer if I'm working on sharp rocky ground.
Be careful with the force you put on the tractor, chains give you so much extra traction - even on slippery ground - that you no longer have tire slippage available to protect the drivetrain. In the low gears you can make the tractor groan before a tire will slip. When that happens, broken drive components are only moments away. And driving with chains on a hard surface will make your teeth chatter and vision blur..

View my Photos
DAVE SIMPSON

2001-01-23          23607

Hillbilly, There are several posts on the subject of chains on this board. For eg; check out last November/December some of the same questions were asked and answered. It all comes down to what will work best for you in the situation that you are working in.I have found that TRYGG TRACTOR chains give me the best allround performance in snow,ice and mud.I cut alot of hard wood in hilly country using a JD 1070 MFWD and chains are a must. I have them on the rear only because I'm afraid of puting too much strain on the front end(these things really get a bite).
DAVE!! ....

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2001-01-23          23613

Roger,
Thank you for the detailed letter about the tire chains,I printed it off and I will use it as a guide for my tire chains,(I will keep it for reference).
Thanks again
Hillbilly ....

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2001-01-23          23616

Dave,
Thank you as well for your information and valuable advice,people like you,Roger and Bird Senter makes me really appreciate this tractor board.
Best regards
Hillbilly ....

View my Photos
John Miller, III

2001-01-23          23627

Hillbilly,

Just don't put any chains on the front. I think you have a 62 degree angle and won't have enough clearance. Obviously very dangerous! ....

View my Photos
Jeff B

2001-01-23          23637

Hillbilly, I've been running regular ladder chains on all 4 ag tires. I'm chaining up the front to help with steering, and I've not seen a post from anyone yet whose blown up their front end from running chains or studs up there. My problem is that the cross links all fall between the lugs on the tires. It is impossible to keep then on top. I've tried both the keep'em tight and the keep'em loose methods. Since the tires are pretty new, the lugs are taller than the chain, so the chain doesn't get much bite. My opinion is that they offer little to no extra traction above the ag tires. I'm plowing snow on a north slope hill that stays icy all winter. Nothing says pucker up like a tractor losing traction, (even with chains), and sliding and spinning down the hill. With R4s, you may have better luck keeping the chains up where they'll do some good. I'm looking into some better options, namely Trygg Tractor TS and Babac. Both companies make tire chains for the forestry industry. Trygg chains are made in Canada and Norway (I think). Babac chains are made in the USA. Both brands have studs welded to the chain, and both place a mesh of chain over the lugs as opposed to just cross links between the side chains. Both companies will make chains to whatever size you need, so if you decide to chain up the front (which will be a non-stock size for compact tractors) you'll be able to get what you want. You can check out Trygg chains at www.whitemountainchain.com. Its in Idaho, contact there is Eddie at 800-439-9073. For Babac chains, check out www.wallingsford.com. Look under Babac "forwarder" chains. They also carry ICC chains; there's an ICC chain that is a dead ringer for Trygg brand (its shown under Hydraulic Tractor Winch/ICC Farm.... These chains will be more expensive than regular ladder chains; neighborhood is $600 plus $100 shipping for all four wheels (11.2-24 and 7-14). Another option recommended by Murf is ice screws used for motorcycle ice racing. They look like sheet metal screws and you just screw them into the lugs. They're 7 cents per screw for the regular steel ones or 70 cents per screw for the carbide tipped ones. Hope this helps. - Jeff ....

View my Photos
John Miller, III

2001-01-24          23650

Hello Jeff. If Hillbilly has a JD4400, I believe there is only about .8" - 2" clearance. Mounting chains on the front tires would hit the frame. This is a compact tractor here, not some large ag tractor with a foot of clearance. I have a slightly larger unit JD5205 and I can't put my finger between the tire and frame. There is absolutely no room. ....

View my Photos
Jeff B

2001-01-24          23653

John - I agree. Dragging chains on the frame would be a bad idea. I'm using a NH TC33D, which has a little extra clearance. Other things to watch for are the hydraulic lines for the loader, and the rear fender clearance. I noticed when I looked at a 4300 that the clearance between ag tires and the fender might not allow for chains. - Jeff ....

View my Photos
Ken Lang

2001-01-26          23705

I put chains on my NH 1320 this winter and I agree...what a difference. My tractor is 4wd with turfs and front loader. I ordered the chains from www.tirechains.com; they have resonable prices. When I received the chains the fronts fit with some minor lenght modifications. The rears would not fit due to an interference between the inner side chain and the ROPS. There is about an inch of clearance at the closest point between the tire side wall and ROPS; of course, this is exactly where the side chain was positioned. After some study of the problem I realized that chains could still be mounted if the side chains rode higher on the sidewall near the shoulder radius.

I ended up returning the rears and ordering side chains, cross chains, cross chain hooks and a chain tool (like a giant pliers) to make custom chains. I built a pair in an afternoon and they fit and work great. I originally built them with 4-link cross chain spacing but have recently ordered more cross chains to make them 2-link spacing for a smoother ride. The 4-link digs just fine but I think the 2-link will make a large difference to the ride.

Moral of the story is don't be dicouraged if pre-made chains won't fit. With a little study you can probably make your own custom set for about the same price - although the tool is about $75. Just make sure your side chains are not too high such that the chains could come off the tire. ....

View my Photos
Paul nakamura

2001-01-27          23733

I have a Ford 1620 which I believe is the same chassis as the 1320 and like you found that I couldn't fit the nice 13.6-16 tire chains I got from tirechains.com because of clearance problems on the inside of the tire (rear only). I turned the tire/rim around (inside out) and was able to fit the standard chain. The valve stem now faces inwards instead of out. YMMV

Paul
. ....

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2001-01-27          23737

I did a little investigating yesterday on tires and fender clearance.
JD 4500 R-1 tires(wheels turned in):1 3/4" between inside of tire and fender
2 1/2" between tire cleat and fender curvature(edge of fender)
JD 4400 R-4 tires(wheels turned in):1 1/8" between inside of tire and fender
4 1/4" between top of tire and fender curvature
JD 4300 R-1 tires(wheels turned in):3" between inside of tire and fender
1" between top of tire and fender curvature(hardly any room at all)
JD 790 R-4 tires(wheels turned in):4" between inside of tire and fender
2 7/8" between top of tire and fender
Kubota L3010 R-1 tires:8" between inside of tire and fender
4" from top of tire and fender

I wonder why JD made these 4000 series with such little clearance between tires and fender. Sounds like they never gave consideration to people having to put tire chains on the tractors. The JD 4300 with R-1 tires is close to rubbing on edge of fenders at curvature.They should have done their homework and took notes from Kubota.

Best regards,
Hillbilly

View my Photos
Anthony M. Parente

2001-01-27          23741

Hillbilly,
Can you rotate your tires and rims to the "out" position?

I intend to do the same on my 4700 tomorrow if it is warm enough outside here in PA. and not snowing.
I believe I will have lots of clearance between the tire and the inside of the fender. I will let you know if this works.
Tony ....

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2001-01-28          23748

Anthony,
I looked in my owners manual and its says if I turn the wheels,I will gain a little over an inch.I E-mailed John Deere and asked them if they would trade me wheels and wheel weights (the R-1 wheels take a different set of wheel weights than the R-4 wheels) even and I buy the the R-1 tires since my R-4 tires have 132 hours on them.I will have to wait and see what they say.How far up in PA do you live "neighbor"?
Hillbilly ....

View my Photos
Anthony M. Parente

2001-01-28          23756

Hillbilly,

I am sorry, You will gain only an inch clearance. Did you talk to your local JD dealer? My JD rep. has been a big help.
I live in Williamsport, which is known only for the Little League World Series.
Tony, ....

View my Photos
Ken Lang

2001-01-29          23783

Hi Paul. Its always good to hear from a fellow NH owner. Yes, I considered fliping the wheels around to gain the clearance but didn't try it. I'm glad to hear that works. I didn't want to get into a situation that I had to remove the wheel weights and tires, flip the wheel around and reinstall each year. I'm sure its not that big of a deal but I just wanted to be able to 'slap some chains on'. Have you talked to a dealer about doing that? I'd caution you to not lift very heavy objects with your 3-point as you have moved the track and load line of the rear axle outboard. It should be fine for plowing snow but I'd flip them around to 'normal' when the spring comes if you plan on using a big seeder or something heavy (1,000 lb. + range). You may reduce your axle bearing life or worse yet, break something if you use the tractor while carrying something heavy with the wheels flipped. Happy Tractoring!!!! ....

View my Photos
Anthony M. Parente

2001-01-29          23787

Hillbilly,
What is the status of your tire chain clearance problem?
My JD Rep. said your 4400 rims should be adjustable like the 4700, (not welded).
Do live in PA ?
Tony

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2001-01-29          23794

I pretty much give up the idea of tire chains on this size of tires,I would like to find a rougher more aggressive tread that would fit my rims,if I go to the R-1 tires I would have to change rims and all my wheelweights I am do not want to spend this kind of money. I contacted John Deere about trading rims and wheel weights and I would purchase the tires.I have not heard back from them yet,maybe I will go trade for a Kubota and get something that you have some room to do something with!!!!!!! And my rims are the welded type.
Hillbilly ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-01-30          23805

Morning Hillbilly, I have a 4400 with turfs they are reversed for clearance. I only have a couple of inches top and inside. I use old truck chains. I take a couple of cans of coffee and some donuts to the town barn and ask for their worn chain parts. Generally they have lots of that stuff (If they do not ask them to save you some)that is not safe on the heavy trucks at plowing speeds. Plenty good for what I want. I take all the parts seperate the components and build a new set that I like. I have only needed to build the one set and modified or repaired them as needed in the last 15 years. I weld the cross links together for the right lenght. They can also be bolted. You can add bolts in the middle for extra bite. I have had ag tires in the past. I used chains on them also. Roger posted it right. Chains protect the tires in slippage operations either plowing a field, plowing snow, bucket work on damp or rocky ground, skidding logs etc. Been there and done all that. No you can not go down the road fast. No they ain't purty. Yes they work great for what I use them for. I cut a lot of my own fire wood and do drag out an exceptional, non-firewood, log now and then. You will not beat the $15.00 barter price if you have some time to play. Also you can X the cross links by bolting or welding. I asked JD about the driveline on the front and their only concern was clearance and none about weakness, so I use cut down pickup chains on the front. E-mail me if you want me to take some detailed photos for you. Enjoy the toys in the different seasons. ....

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2001-01-30          23825

Harvey,
Thanks for the suggestions.I have some old chains and I think it is time to improvise and save some money,I like the idea of welding the bolts on for the x pieces. I sure think this is worth a try.

Thanks again
Hillbilly ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login