Go Bottom Go Bottom

Valve for filling tires

View my Photos
Fritz Campbell
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-12-17          22540

I figure I have enough worries right now, with my oldest daughter starting to drive in Feburary here in PA, without worrying about $.50 worth of Calcium ruining my $400 rear wheels so I have a question(s) on filling rear tractor tires for added rear weight.I have seen valves that have air releases on the side, are these the right valves for filling a tubed tire with fluid? The ones I've seen screw onto the tubes valve stem (after removing the inside portion) and hook up to the male end of a garden hose on the other with the air release in the middle. 1) Will I live long enough at 41 to be able to fill two 11 x 24 rear tires with anti-freeze I mix myself via a funnel / garden hose through the valve stem?2) Approximately how many gallons would be required to fill them? Since used anti-freeze is not readily available due to being toxic, I'll probably need to buy it new, possibly bulk (55 gal drum) and mix it 50/50 myself. 3)If I lay the tires down flat and fill that way, how do I know when they are say 75% full so I don't overload them. I've been told that one should never fill a tire completely due to any liquids incompressability and the danger of exploding the tire if hitting something and there is no room for the tire to "give". Handling the filled tire doesn't figure to be easy, I have wondered how I will raise the now filled wheel back up to mount it. I have thought of lifting it by a jack or rolling the loaded tire up on to a couple of stacked boards and raising or lowering the tractor jack accordingly.I have a Farmall Cub wheel weight mounted on my rear wheels now. I guess them weigh around 70 lbs each, but they are not enough and I don't want to use the 3-pt for a weight bar since I use a 60" Woods back blade for moving snow and light dirt grading. Additional wheel weights are very expensive and hard to come by unless I want to buy them new. I don't use the tractor for mowing in the yard and only for light loader work and brush hogging so I'm not worrying about damaging anything around the house with loaded rear tires. I have a set of wheels with turfs if I ever change my mind about grass mowing with it. Thanks for any help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Valve for filling tires

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-12-17          22545

Fritz, you're right about that valve for putting water in the tires from a garden hose. Instead of pre-mixing the water/anti-freeze, I put the anti-freeze in first, then the water. And to get the tires filled to the proper level, don't remove or lay them down. Park the tractor with the valve stem at the top, jack it up enough to take all the weight off the tire, then remove the valve core and put the liquid in. When it gets to the level that some can run back out the valve stem, you'll be about to the 75% level that you want. ....

Valve for filling tires

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-19          22630

Fritz if you are 41 unless you figure on keeping your tractor for the next 40 years you shouldn't worry about the calcium. I live with calcium filled tires day in and out on farm tractors and I've listened to everyone on the web. Get the bargin and use calcium. If the tire is flat on the ground, the vavle stem is not on the top and you should be fine for your fill. ....

Valve for filling tires

View my Photos
KenB

2000-12-20          22652

Pretty good info on this is available on the Firestone site at the link below.

Link:   Hydroinflation of Agricultural Tires

Valve for filling tires

View my Photos
Dave Worrall

2001-02-16          24276

I'm new to tractors and need some help. I just bought a NH TC40D and the dealer is loading the R4 tires. What concerns me is putting calcium chloride solution on the steel wheels. He assures me that the wheels will not corrode, that different antifreeze in not appropriate, and that tubes are not need to protect the wheels. His claim seems to be based on the fact the wheel will always be completely in the solution with no air touching the steel. Does that really solve the corrosion problem? Is the way most tractor users do it? Thanks. Dave ....

Valve for filling tires

View my Photos
Dave Wells

2001-02-16          24289

Dave,

The most common way of adding rear ballast to the tires is as you described it. I suppose some folks to put in tubes, especially if they are worried about puncturing a tire, since it supposedly makes it a little easier to repair the hole.

Having said that, let me give you some other thoughts:

I have a JD 4100Hydro with R4 tires w/Ballast, no tubes. I use it for EVERYTHING, from mowing to loading, and hopefully will be putting a backhoe on this year (either a Kelly or a JD, if their's is for real). The ballast does help significantly with the ride, but I STILL need a rear ballast (weight) box for safe loader use, ESPECIALLY when using the pallet forks. According to JD's operator manual, I need approx 780 lbs in addition to rear tire ballast. I now have a ballast box (3PT hitch mounted), and I'll be removing the tire ballast this year, because the extra weight does compact soil when mowing. My point is, try to determine if you're gonna have to get a ballast box anyway, and if you are, you may want to forgo the rear tire ballast. It's a lot easier to take off a 3PT implement than to suck ballast out of the tires !!!

I hope that helps - at least confuses on a higher plane !

Dave Wells ....

Valve for filling tires

View my Photos
Dave Worrall

2001-02-21          24510

Dave Wells... Thanks for the input. It helps. But as so often happens, I felt a need to move, so I decided to get the tires tubed and filled with the CaCl solution. I suspect this will solve the salt-steel problem, and I can move the snow that needs it now. And I can reevaluate the other options you suggested. Dave ....

Valve for filling tires

View my Photos
Jim Reichard

2001-02-22          24522

Are you looking for that valve? I think I know a company that may sell them.

JIM ....

Valve for filling tires

View my Photos
mbjacobs

2001-02-22          24530

Jim Reichard, I'd be interested in knowing the company that sells the valves for filling tires. Thanks ....

Valve for filling tires

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-02-22          24532

mbjacobs, I would think almost any place that works on tractor tires, or sells farm equipment, would have the valve. My 1997 Tractor Supply Co. catalog lists the "air/water adapter kit", part #01-15384, for $7.69, described as "Fast-flow, complete with 2 extra bushings to fit all air/water valves in use today. Connect garden hose to tire valves for filling tires with liquid. Packed on kit per card." I haven't looked to see whether they have the picture on their web site, but you might try the link below. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Valve for filling tires

View my Photos
Jim Reichard

2001-02-22          24571

I use a fill kit for the schrader valve to charge hydraulic systems in HAAS machining centers.It sounds simular to the kit they use to fill tires and uses the same fitting except heavy duty to except pressures up to 2000 lbs I can get you a price if you like but I know it won't be any were as near the tractor supply price so you might want to check them out first.

JIM ....

Valve for filling tires

View my Photos
mbjacobs

2001-02-23          24578

Bird, Jim, Thanks - I don't know why I didn't think of Tractor Supply (my favorite store). You're supposed to get wiser as you get older, why doesn't that work for me? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login