in my tractor tires.
Thanks for any input on the subject

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Filling tractor tires

View my Photos
jd110_1963
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-04-07          141118

Actually, if your tires are tubelss, The easiest way is to remove the wheels and lay them on their side. Then break the bead loose from the rim on the upper side, then just pour it in. ....

Filling tractor tires

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-07          141123

If you want to do it ON the tractor, there are ballast fill kits available at reasonable prices. Gempler's sells them, I'm sure there are others.

But your question begs one of my own. Where did you get your hands on bulk RimGuard? I thought it was limited to dealer installations only.

//greg// ....

Filling tractor tires

View my Photos
digger530

2007-04-07          141124

I can take drums to dealer and get them filled. ....

Filling tractor tires

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-08          141165

Why do you want them loaded? Do you find it light with the backhoe on? ....

Filling tractor tires

View my Photos
digger530

2007-04-08          141169

No, not with the hoe attached, but will help without it, I never use the tractor without some type of counterbalance on the back. ....

Filling tractor tires

View my Photos
Art White

2007-04-09          141183

It's your money but normally we try and stay away from loading tires. With normally having rear ballast of some sorts on the tractor I'd wonder that you'd not be making the tractor too heavy and sacrafice everyday performance from loss of proper ballasting and from the tires not being able to flex for the conditions of the ground your driving over. ....

Filling tractor tires

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-04-09          141187

I agree with Art, there are other options like wheel weights, ballast boxes, attaching a rear blade, etc. that allow for easy removal if desired or for different amounts of weight.

I attach a rear blade to mine or use my pulverizer as a counterweight whenever using my FEL for serious work. When mowing with MMM, etc., I take it off to not compress the lawn.

If you have a dedicated tractor for a certain purpose like with backhoe that is a different story.

There are also other options in addition to Rim Guard. I've heard of people using Sugar Beet Juice as one. ....

Filling tractor tires

View my Photos
digger530

2007-04-09          141190

That is what rimguard is made from!
Thanks everyone for your imput. ....

Filling tractor tires

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-04-09          141195

I didn't know that! Learned something new myself.

I use Calcium Chloride in my MF135. It rusted through one rim in about 20 years. That is why most have gone a different route. ....

Filling tractor tires

View my Photos
reason201

2007-04-23          141448

loaded my 4710 R4s with Rimguard and it has made a world of difference in the performance of my unit. The only issue I have had is than if the ground is wet, I tend to sink in a bit more than before and quite frankly, if it is that wet, I probably should have waited a bit longer to be there anyway. ....

Filling tractor tires

View my Photos
digger530

2007-04-23          141452

Did you do it yourself or have someone else do it, I haven`t filled mine yet, with the hoe attached it is equally balanced, just wondering on the consistency of rimguard, and what type of pump they use, thanks for the info ....

Filling tractor tires

View my Photos
reason201

2007-04-23          141474

I had it done by a local rimguard distributor. As I understand it, the same type of equipment that is used to install calcium chloride. ....

Filling tractor tires

View my Photos
Art White

2007-04-24          141478

It is the same equipment for filling either solution. ....

Filling tractor tires

View my Photos
reason201

2007-04-24          141486

I believe it is but I think I read that you really need to flush out the equipment when moving from one to another so as not to contaminate your fluid. I think this is especially importante when going from calcium to Rimguard. ....

Filling tractor tires

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-04-24          141488

I am sure there is more than one way to fill a tire, on a tire repair I jacked up the tire, no air in it and put the antifreeze needed in it by hose and funnel. Was not bad at all. Then used water hose to fill the water. I know the tractor shop has an portable air tank with a opening they poured antifreeze in it pressurized the tank and it runs right in the tire. Other than the port to fill with antifreeze looks just like normal air tank. kt

Filling tractor tires

View my Photos
RobbieF

2007-04-26          141557

Several of these comments got me to thinking and I was wondering what you guys think about rear ballast and how much negative impact it could have on performance. I have a L3430 HST with a 513 FEL and the rear tires are loaded. However there are times when the tractor seems like it is low on power - especially on hills. I have often wondered if removing the ballast would help the tractor feel more powerful but I didn't want to remove the ballast only to find that the performance didn't change. I would be more than willing to remove the ballast and use an implement as ballast instead if some of you feel it might help. I would love to hear any input that Art or anyone else might have. The tractor hasn't lost power, it's always felt this way since it was new. Also, if the consensus is that removing the ballast will help what is the best way to remove the ballast? ....

Filling tractor tires

View my Photos
reason201

2007-04-26          141562

Robbief, in my opinion, you are looking at the scenario of having your cake and eating it too. As an example, in my 4710 I have fluid in the rears, that adds an estimated 950 lbs weight. That is an increase in unit weight of over 20%. I can tell a difference in performance going up hills but that difference is far outweighed by the masive increase in traction I get from the added weight.

I guess what I am saying is that you have to take your own situation into account. I like the added weight for traction and am willing to sacrifice a little speed performance to have that. I have the added weight I want and my 3 point is clear for whatever attachment I want to place on the tractor whether that attachment is heavy like a disk harrow or light like a rear blade.

I don't think there is "One right answer" I guess that is why there are so many options to choose from.

Good luck...

Filling tractor tires

View my Photos
Art White

2007-04-26          141563

I like the tractors to start out light and ballast for maiximum performance and balance. To start out to heavy is the wrong way to go. It's been shocking for the employee's that came off of farms as to how light they can be and perform easily. In the last post mention was made as to the weight as a percentage of the tractor's weight. To look at the horsepower in the same manner also tells you of the power loss just to move the extra weight. I've heard some say that the loaded tires make them more stable on side hills, seems funny but that is just a weight issue to begin with as the axle is still the center of the weight to the tractor. The end result is more wear on the differential, brakes as well as your wallet for fuel. Some feel it's the way to go and that's fine too! We do fill tires and repair and sell them so I do enjoy the people that feel the need of loading the tires, right or wrong for there application. ....

Filling tractor tires

View my Photos
pitt_md

2007-06-01          142651

When I was 16 (long time ago) I worked for a tire company after school. My job was to fix semi tiers and tractor tires. The ones loaded with calcium chloride were enough to convince me to go to college! ;) ....

Filling tractor tires

View my Photos
Art White

2007-06-01          142669

Thats where I might help but otherwise it is great to just be able to watch!!!! ....

Filling tractor tires

View my Photos
UncleFred

2010-03-08          169047

No problem filling the tires with liquid.
If in a cold climate there are charts for the amount of
calcium chloride to use per gallons of water for lowering the freezing point. Instead of buying expensive equipment to pump it in buy/rent a small submersible pump.
Next you will need a small wet vac. Mix Cal/Chlo in a plastic barrel large enough to fill one tire. Old USN way of mixing brine was when a potato floats it's good for around minus 5 to zero. Next you need some plastic TYGON
or rubber hose to fit over the valve stem and a way to
connect it to the pump and a set of visegrip pliers.
Remove valve core from stem. Push rubber or tygon hose over stem. Connect other end to wetvac hose via reducers.
Pull a good vacuum on tire/tube. Clamp tube close to
vac hose to prevent air from entering. Connect hose removed from vac to submersible pump and plug it in.
NOTE: BE DAMNED SURE PUMP IS PLUGGED INTO A GFI !!!
Fill TO 75% full for some cushion effect. If need be, have stem the highest point in case the vac is needed again. How to tell when about 3/4 full? Tap tire with a
hammer handle, figure out amount of gallons or just feel
the temperature of the tire as the water will more than likely be colder than the tire. Worked many times for me.

Uncle Fred ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login