Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rookie Question--Tire Inflation

View my Photos
bobkro
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-03-23          140686

The front tire on my BX 2350 looks low; it bulges much more than the other tires, and is soft to the kick. Air pressure gage just gets fluid in it when I try to use it to check pressure.

How do I check tire pressure? What air pressure is adequate for front tire on my machine?

b

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-23          140688

Rotate the tire until the valve stem is at the top. Some tire gauges are rated for measuring filled tires so they shouldn't be damaged by fluid (but they still need to be rinsed off afterwards). ....

View my Photos
Harvey3

2007-03-24          140702

Bob check your owners manuel for the correct tire pressure, or check the tire itself, it should show the maximum pressure. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-25          140731

There's no hard and fast rule for checking tire pressure, even on cars and trucks. On a tractor I go with the highest recommended pressure molded into to the tire. That way you don't run the risk of popping a tire off a rim.

There's a misconception in the automotive world that the placard on the door shows what tire pressure to use. The assumption albeit wrong is to use that presuure for all tires that you may put on it. My truck shows 65 psi on the placard. However the new tirs I bout require 90. I start with the highest pressure then lower it until the tire tread evenly wears--mine's a diesel 4x4 so the front takes about 15 psi less in the rears. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-03-26          140747

The posts have been good but the tires all arry loads differently, I like to lower off the highest to get a full foot print and still have enough air to keep the beads seated on the rim. This might require some adjustment of pressure but gives a more optimum traction condition. On my truck a half ton I added the heavier tires to carry overloading a bit better. I run those twenty five pounds light of the recommended air pressure on them to help keep my bones in my body when the truck is not loaded, far less rattles too. There have been times that I did notice a bit of squat to them when loading and I did add the air to get them back to where they should be. I will admit the mileage is more then doubled and although the tread is still legal I was glad I had four wheel drive this winter. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-03-26          140752

The other thing most people miss when it comes to tractor tires is the end use.

As Art mentioned, there is a big difference in any tire, loaded VS unloaded. With a tractor this is doubly so since there is no suspension, the tire is the suspension.

Running tires at max. inflation means you basically have no suspension unless you are loaded to nearly the maximum allowable by the tires.

Also, as Art mentioned, although it can be a PITA to do, the best thing for the whole setup, operator included, is to run the tires at the mimimum pressure required for the given load.

With nothing in the FEL, or when it's removed, and for tasks like cutting grass, the tire should have enough air in it to JUST start lifting the shoulders of the tread off the ground when parked ona hard level surface.

Anything more means you are running on only a fraction of the tread, down the center line, anything less means you are running under-inflated and will wear the shoulders and increase the risk of peeling the tire oof the bead.

After a while it easy to get the hang of it. I have a chart made up for different applications, light FEL, heavy FEL, light 3pth implement, heavy 3pth implement, etc. so I can easily adjust the tire pressures, front & rear, to suit what I am doing.

Bear in mind however, there can be a BIG difference in traction depending on how much air pressure you have in the tire. If, for instance, I inflate my rears to the proper pressure to 'road' (drive down the road with it in the air) my box scraper which weighs about 1,100 pounds, I have so much air in my rear tires that if I were to set it down, and try working it that way, I would have very little traction. If on the other hand, I have the tires properly inflated for pulling a full box of dirt or doing some heavy scraping, and tried to drive down the road with it in the air, the rear tires would look like the the Michelin Man and ride like a water balloon.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-03-26          140760

Murf have played with military-style Central Inflation Systems? ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-03-26          140768

Murf, you have such a way with words! No matter what language! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-03-27          140777

Jeff, no, but often thought they'd be handy on a CUT.

(Edit Note: now HOW did I get those two confused?)

Art.... Thanks ....... :)

Mark, good catch, I missed that alltogether. :)

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-03-27          140779

First thing I would do is take the fluid out of the front tires and relace it with AIR.

It is doing more harm than good on a machine that small. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-03-27          140781

MURF, please edit your reply above...can not afford to mess up Jeff's reputation. Man, bet he has not ever been so insulted. :)

Probably best mistake that has ever happened to him. kt

View my Photos
Art White

2007-03-27          140789

Ken, it's up to Jeff! I have customers that run them right to the maximum written on the side all the time. I didn't say that there wasn't any time I even added more then the recommended to help carry a load or to! ....

View my Photos
bobkro

2007-03-28          140821

Gents--

Sorry for the delay in responding with thanks to all those who responded to my question on tire pressure. I thought I was asking a straight forward and would get a simple answer, but I didn't, and that is why I enjoy this website so much.

Let me summarize the answers that I received to my question on the correct pressure for the front tire on a Kubota BX2350:

Answer #1: Look in the manual (22 PSI for bar tires)
Answer #2: Look on the side of the tire (122 PSI)
Answer #3: Get two to three bars on the ground (about 10-14 PSI)
Answer #4: Depends on the load; get a good footprint.
Answer #5: Back off of the max on the side of the tire by about 20 pounds

I've been following the postings on this site off and on for about three years on a variety of topics, and its the insights provided in the postings that make much more sense that what you find in the manual or written on the side of a piece of rubber.

You guys have given me the range answers that I needed, and a little bit of the knowledge that is behind those answers.

Thanks for your time, and collective wisdom.

b ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login