Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tire size Vs Rim size dilemma

View my Photos
bpmail
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-08-11          114691

hy, hope someone of you will help me...
In italy where i leave i own a lawn MTD G200 wich is equipped with 23 X 9.5-12 turf tire mounted on a 4bolts rims. I would like to buy another set of tires to be able, even in winter time, to move up on a muddy slope so i started to look for LUGs or pro-track tires or similar but i didn't find the exact size of tire. I found just 24 X 8.50-12.... do you think it could match with my rims?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-11          114694

I assume you do not have four wheel drive, and I that is true it would seem logical to try the closest size you can to the original.

Are you shopping locally or internationally? ....

View my Photos
bpmail

2005-08-11          114695

thanks for you reply..
yes it is .. i have not 4WD also i don't use it on the road at all.
I'll shop internationally beacuse in Italy it's impossible to find much occasions or opportunity.. als in Itly rims price for this kind of things is crazy!!! so in case i found out even rims i would by tires and rims too... ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-12          114790

I'm familar with your exact machine or the titre size---but for the mud I would get the most agressive tread--like a typical agricultural (chevron-style) tread. This will offer excellent gripping on a slop. You might want to investigate an agressive ATV (all terrain vehicle) tire which have sturdy sidewalls (and knubs or knobs on the side walls to help grip) and a very wide foot print. You may even be able to use ATV rims with the wider ATV tires. Rim offset will be a top concern but the bolt pattern may be able to be redrilled (by you or a mechanic). ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-08-12          114792

No they will not match. I think you have your numbers out of order. What I think you have is 9.5 x 23-12. The 9.5 being tread width the 23 being rim diameter and the -12 is how may plys the tire is. You must find a tire that has a

yy x 23-zz size. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-08-12          114794

Not exactly.

23 is the overall nominal diameter of the tire.

9.5 is the cross sectional width which gives a clue as to how wide the rim should be. In this case it is probably on an 8 inch rim.

The -12 tells you the rim diameter.

If you want to know how many plys the tire has you need to read the sales literature or the sidewall. It will say something like "2 ply rated" or "4 ply rated" and then it will give the pressure and weight bearing stats.

Generally the higher the ply rating, the more weight the tire will bear. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-08-13          114805

Since you are will to ship in.... try Gemplers.com ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-08-13          114808

Yep you are right. I was thinking industrial sizes. 10 16.5-8 ect. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-08-13          114809

The tire companies change the casing size when making lug or ag tires instead of simply treading the casing with a lug or ag tread so naturally they won't fit the rims.
And if that isn't bad enough you can't buy rims to fit those altered AG or lug tread tires.

I know all about this As I just went through trying to switch from Turf to Lug tread tires.
I couldn't find a Lug tire the same size of the turfs I wanted to replace.
Tried the lug tire size closest to the turfs - but they wouldn't fit because my rims were 2 wide.
Simple solution buy narrower rims to fit the lug tires right!
WRONG There ain't a rim out there the size of the lug tire that will fit my tractor.
] ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-08-13          114812

lbrown, are you looking for something other than the "bar turfs" Kubota offers? ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-08-13          114821

Yes I wanted to replace a 15x6x6 turf with a lug tire ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-08-13          114822

Standard white spoke trailer rims will fit the BX.

You will lose a lot of width across the back unless you get some wheel spacers to set the rims back out.

There are other problems, like getting things to match up with the front axle in 4wd. R1 tires take their diameter measurements from the tire carcass, rather than the outside of the tread. The theory being that they are designed to sink the lugs into the dirt and "roll" on the tire carcass.

If not also matched with front R1's with similar lugged fronts you will have a highly variable ratio between the two. ....

View my Photos
bpmail

2005-08-16          114951

Mamma Mia!!!! how many reply!!! i'm not uset to get so many ... just in USA this is possible!! thaks to all you!!
So for what i understood the best would be to buy rims and tyre (better agricultural type) respecting the maximun diameter of tire 23" .... do some one have some link where to look for this kind of rims+tire?? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-08-16          114953

Besides Gemplers.com, you can do a search under "turf tire" or "garden tractor tire" and you will get a lot of results. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login