Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractor or Skid Steer

View my Photos
sprobst
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-28          84582

I have a 5 acre wooded property. Considering the following purposes, would you purchase a tractor or a skid steer?

1. Moving brush and piles of logs to a burn area. A grapple bucket would be useful.
2. Moving wood chip piles.
3. Snow plowing of driveway.
4. Bush hogging.
5. Garden tilling

I've been thinking about a tractor for a long time....but, lately, I've been watching landscaping companies do their work and I've realized just how useful skid steers are (especially for clearing brush).

If I can only buy one machine, which would be your choice?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tractor or Skid Steer

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-28          84584

A SSL (skid steer loader) will work just fine for items # 1 & 2 on your list, as long as you don't have to travel over nice grassed areas to do it.

The only two options for working on grass with a SSL is to either drive in a straight line very carefully, or lay out a 'sidewalk' of plywood on which to drive. Neither is practical.

Forget about the rest of your list using a SSL, 3, 4, & 5 are either impossible or prohibitively expensive with a SSL since it would require hydro-static powered implements which are rare and VERY expensive.

Get a tractor, you will be MUCH happier.

Best of luck. ....

Tractor or Skid Steer

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-28          84589

Get a tractor, you will save your back.

Tractor or Skid Steer

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-04-28          84591

A skid steer, when compared to a compact tractor os really heavy.

Lots of folks worry about driving a 2000 pound tractor over their lawn or septic system. A small skid steer can weigh 9000 pounds.

This is not something you pull around with a 1/2 ton pick-up. ....

Tractor or Skid Steer

View my Photos
dsg

2004-04-28          84610

As stated above, a Tractor would be much more versatile with numerous attachments and would be a more common machine for resale.

David ....

Tractor or Skid Steer

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-28          84616

I would have to say a ssl. I would say that plowing with a ssl is much easier and faster with a ssl, At work which is an equipment dealer I have a choice of what to use and i will pick a skid loader over a tractor every time, The plows and such that you can get for the machine are however a waste of money you can do a much nicer job with a regular bucket. As for mowing and tilling you can get attachments for the unit but they are more $ than 3pt items. Yes they are heavier but at the same time they are allot more maneuverable. Also you can outfit the unit with a cab enclosure for a lot less than a tractor with heat and ac. Also depending on what size tractor you are looking at they are about the same price. One down side of a ssl is that you will were tires out at about every 500 to 800 hours if you are on any hard surface. But then after you where out the first set you can get better tires that will last about 1000 hours. but either way you go you will be able to do allot more than doing it by hand. ....

Tractor or Skid Steer

View my Photos
NHDaveD

2004-04-28          84634

I'd go with the majority here and get the tractor. After reviewing the uses you mentioned and the property description the tractor will be much more versitle for you.

While I don't have as much experience as alot of the guys I have used both types of equipment and believe the tractor to be safer on varying terrain. You must still use the tractor safely at all times but I think it is a little more forgiving than the SSL. I almost flipped one backwards one time when misjudging the slope. I don't know which bounced up and down more - the SSL front end or my heart. :0 ....

Tractor or Skid Steer

View my Photos
Chip11

2004-04-28          84643

Hi,

Just a short time ago I was making a decision between a used skid steer and a used 4wd tractor, as you are now. What I liked about the skid steer is that compairing similiar hp, the skid steer will outlift the tractor by quite a bit. It also appeared to be more "robust" than the tractor The skid steer seemed to get stuck in mud pretty quickly as compaired to the tractor. I also wanted to get a backhoe attachment for my new machine, and the tractor was easier to find with a hoe than the skid steer. I ended up with a tractor, only because the right deal came by at the right time. That being said, the jobs you list IMO would be better off with a tractor. Good luck finding your new machine!
Chip11 ....

Tractor or Skid Steer

View my Photos
bellaterra

2004-06-27          89449

Consider a skid steer with "tracks". I own one and it'll go where NO tractor would ever consider. You can add a "leveler" to it and repair any damage you might cause within minutes. Consider a compact skid steer like a JD 240, 250, or 260. The best part is if you turn over you are protected by a full cage which is nice if a tree was to fall on you too while clearing. There are some things a tractor will do "better", but there are alot of things a skid steer can and will do that a tractor can not do at all. ....

Tractor or Skid Steer

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-06-27          89454

Bellaterra, how are they as far as ground clearance. Say if you wanted to take it into the woods and there are a few rocks or short stumps? I know you would have to have tracks in the woods. ....

Tractor or Skid Steer

View my Photos
bvance

2004-07-19          91397

I agree with most posts on this subject and especially Murf but with some variations. As always it depends, as life is full of trade-offs. I've used a SSL for brush removal (Ambusher)and a snow blower and they can't be beat. Murf is right, the equipment is expensive but 16 gpm of hydraulic pressure really does the job. I've blown 2' of packed snow with no problem....then again most folks don't move that much snow. And it blows the snow up to 20' and further if it's light. I've pulverized 15' high mounds of blackberry brush without missing a beat. It's absolutely incredible. But I admit, most folks don't need that much brute power and not that often. It's really a commercial machine and that's what we have it for....I just use it around the acreage once in a while when I have a really tough job. My Kubota tractor does most anything I need around the house. ....

Tractor or Skid Steer

View my Photos
imtools

2004-07-20          91405

Just tell the wife you need both-I got away with it.

I did, however, buy both of mine used and I enjoy rebuilding equipment. I had the tractor first and after seeing the prices for used loader attachments, I decided to get a used skid steer. The skid steer is designed for digging into undisturbed earth while the loader cannot. While I have not had either machine very long (less than one year), I think the tractor is more universal considering all the attachments available (I have 9 already). Good luck. ....

Tractor or Skid Steer

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-20          91427

On the other hand you could buy a CUT and then rent a SSL for the few really tough jobs you don't want to beat up your beloved machine doing.

Most areas are serviced by rental yards today, they will deliver you a fairly new SSL for about $200 a day.

Best of luck. ....

Tractor or Skid Steer

View my Photos
oneace

2004-07-20          91484

Or in my case work for the dealer and get every thing almost rent free. Why buy when you can "borrow" ....

Tractor or Skid Steer

View my Photos
earthwrks

2004-08-04          92705

I have both a NH TC33D (no loader) and a NH LS180 skid loader. Each has their place. And one isn't better than the other. But if I had to choose I would go with the skid loader IF it had tracks--which are a MUST in soft ground. ....

Tractor or Skid Steer

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-08-09          93087

Sounds like your only going to use it for a GARDEN and some brush hogging (4 and 5) you can rent for your ssl a tiller and a BHog if its a seasonal thing. I agree, a skid steer is the way to go with 1,2,3. Especially since you can get a enclosed cab model heat and air in the price range of a decent sized cut. I was buying a brand new skid steer but decided to get a used one and opt for the NEW tractor this year. As murf and others have stated if lawn or other factor come into play scratch the ssl. I have used the ls180 in the woods alot, you need to watch where you go but it is a great machine. My buddy has a bobcat 865 (I think that is the number) What a power house!!!! Heck they are right too Buy a new tractor and a used skid loader.
Good luck ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login