Go Bottom Go Bottom

Why not a Task Master over a Kubota

View my Photos
Andy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-09-28          8363

I own a small forestry company and have the need for a tractor to do light skidding and trail work. I want a good tractor and have looked at Task Master 404b 38hp compared to the Kubota L3710, it's 1/2 the price and the stats look better. Besides parts why shoudn't I get it?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Jerri

1999-09-28          8365

Andy, you might want to look up a few of the posts here for Chinese tractors. The posts are both pro and con. Things to consider are yes it is less expensive but why? How well built are these tractors, do they have a good service network, are parts available? I think it would be both unwise and unfair to compare the Task Master to the Kubota this is an apples to oranges comparison. Instead, if you are interested in the Task Master, talk to those who own them and their impressions. I would think the dealer of these tractors would be willing to help you contact owners of these machines. If after have done your investigation no major problems or concerns are uncovered and you are comfortable with the tractor, by all means move forward with a purchase. Last but not least, I believe there is a reason this tractor is less expensive and some of these reasons maybe acceptable but others may not. Good luck whatever you decide. ....

View my Photos
David

1999-09-28          8374

In my opinion a compact tractor of any brand in any size is wrong for your application. Commericial Forestry uses of farm tractors (especially skidding) is one of the most demanding applications you can put a tractor in. Compacts just don't have the weight and metal in them to take the abuse forestry use dishes out. We sell grey market compacts and Am also a Case / Ih dealer and have several customers who use their Case tractors for forestry applications. I can tell you any compact I have and (I handle most all brands of Japanese compacts) would not last a week in a forestry application of skidding. Case reduces the factory warranty on new construction machines used exclusively in forestry applications. This should tell you something about how tough forestry service is. From what I've seen of the Chinese tractors I doubt one would last a day skidding logs. I have a customer now who has a chinese tractor and can not get a clutch pressure plate anywhere at any price. We are trying to help him find one so far no luck. Needless to say his bargin tractor looks like not a good deal today. I suggest you look at some heavy built American Iron tractors for your application. ....

View my Photos
Alan L.

1999-09-28          8378

What is "skidding"? ....

View my Photos
Keith

1999-09-29          8390

Skidding is simply dragging a felled tree from point A to point B. Most loggers use "skidders" (also known as grapple skidders) to do this. They are big 4x4 tractors with a grapple hook on the back end to grab the log(s), raise it up, and then drag it. Impressive to watch in action.Keith ....

View my Photos
Alan L.

1999-09-29          8391

I was just wondering. I'm not doing any forestry, but I have been dragging 12" trees with my Kubota B2710. Didn't seem to strain that much. If work is bad for a tractor than why have a tractor? ....

View my Photos
Kim Hartshorn

1999-09-29          8392

The home market for small tractor forestry is Northern Europe...that's why all of the 3pt logging winches and small hydraulic loaders and log trailers and such are all made in Finland, Norway and Sweden by Farmi and Frangstad and Norse and Patu and such. It was explained to me that for the most part there are no trees taller than 100' or wider than 12" anywhere in Europe anymore. I am using a Ford 1500 4wd with a home made winch to log our woodlot. Durability is a concern, but so is low impact. I think if I lose anything to abuse it is likely to be the loader...too many boulders to clear out of my logging roads.In any case whatever tractor you decide on it is the implements that will be making the work possible. If you buy the Chinese tractor and beat it up, you can still put the winch on something else. The winch is likely to cost as much as the chinese tractor :-)Good LuckKim ....

View my Photos
David

1999-09-29          8407

Using a compact to drag a few logs or skid a few trees is one thing. The point I was making is the original post indicated he was a commerical forestry operator that means skidding 40+ hours per week when weather permits. There is a big difference between occasional use and commerical service in many products. One thing you quickly learn in the equipment business is to assume the most abusive conditions exist when helping a customer select equipment. Forestry service is known abusive environment for equipment. Given these facts a bigger heavier tractor is going to be more reliable in this application. Its not that work is bad for a tractor, but it must be properly sized and applied for the application. The original post also asked about chinese tractors, their reliability is questionable at best. Alan you were proably also running your own tractor when you were skidding and being careful, generally owners take better care of equipment than a paid employee operator in seat. For commercial service unfortunately brutal operators are the rule rather than the exception. That also factors into the equipment selection process. I have seen tractor parts broken in ways you wouldn't think could happen but it does. ....

View my Photos
Andy

1999-09-29          8411

Thanks for the help so far, to clarify the tractors primary use for David and Alan might help. As like Kim, my primary use is light, low impact. I own the company and will be the primary operator. Most of my work is around peoples homes. Also, I deal with many 1-10 acre lots (too small for logging operation interest and appropriate skidder use) that hold a couple thousand dollars worth of timber. I will log small loads many trips with a farming winch and forks. Then the slash will be piled and burned. I’ve used Holders and Kubotas for this and they hold up well. The cost of the Chinese tractors (Hardy, Task Master and now Silverado) has me interested. I can purchase two for less than one Kubota. Why? Does anyone know if they are really that bad from experience? I won’t be using it more than 10hr a week? In addition, I want to be able to be mobile w/out a CDL so a tractor under 5000lbs is desirable. ....

View my Photos
Alan L.

1999-09-29          8415

Of course the trees I drag are dead 40-foot cedar elm trees. Not really what you would consider "forestry". ....

View my Photos
Ken

1999-10-05          8561

I'm no expert, but isn't skidding with a lightweight tractor on the dangerous side? From what I understand, if a log catches on something, the rear wheels may stay put and the tractor could "rotate" around the axle ("climbing the ring gear"). If you look at commercial forestry skidders, they have a lot of weight forward and also lift the front of the logs clear.Again, maybe I'm all wrong, but I wanted to pass the thought along.Ken ....

View my Photos
Alan L.

1999-10-05          8564

When I drag stuff or pull up small trees, I hook the chain on a collar hitch on the drawbar which is mounted BELOW the rear axle. The harder it pulls, the more the front of the tractor goes DOWN, so it wouldn't seem to be a problem. I pull up trees by getting a running start and if the tree doesn't come out the tractor just stops and starts spinning - I have never had the front end come off the ground. Buckle your seatbelt though, because it might be quite a jolt if your load gets hung up. ....

View my Photos
Andy

1999-10-06          8577

Ken, I agree it can be dangerous if one isn't careful. I've been working in the woods for a long time, and feel comfortable using smaller tractors. I use a skidder for my larger operations but the price of moving them from job to job doesn't make them economical for the "smaller jobs". I need an inexpensive and durable tractor for those smaller jobs. The ones under 30 acres with only a couple of loads of woods and for removing one or two leaning trees from a homeowners front yard. Of course the "beautification" projects better known as view clearing in front of homes. Skidders are just to big. Also, a Skidder runs used (1970-JD440c) for $10K, a 36hp new kubota for 26K with bucket and winch. These oregon task masters are selling for 12K new. But no one knows about how well built they are. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login