Go Bottom Go Bottom

My First tractor - NEED ADVICE - 26 Acres

View my Photos
Newbie1963
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-02-15          124564

Hello,

I’m new to this forum and I’m looking for advice. I’m shopping for my first tractor. I live on 26 acres in SW Virginia. My land is mostly wooded but I have some finished lawn and some horse pasture. (No horses and no plans to get horses.) I’ll use the tractor mostly on weekends.

My needs are:
-Maintain gravel driveway (~200 yards; moderate incline)
-Light logging (steep terrain)
-Maintain front yard (1.5 acres)
-Maintain pasture (3 acres)
-Maintain hiking trails (old logging roads on moderate/steep terrain)
-Landscaping around house (level to moderate grade)

My basic needs include 4-wheel drive and a front-end loader.

Based on these needs, which Make/Model(s) would you recommend? Also, which implements and accessories should I look for?

There’s a New Holland dealer near me who seems pretty straight, although I’ve never bought anything from him before. Because he’s the closest tractor dealership of any kind I’ve been looking at the TC30 – he’s asking $15,500 with the FEL - and the TC29 – he’s asking $17,850 with the FEL.

Any feedback on these models or prices? Besides the NH, I'd also consider Kubota or JD.

Also, I'm leaning towards New instead of Used mainly because I want the warranty. I hate to spend the extra $ for New, but I know enough to know that I don't know jack about tractor maintenance.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-15          124565

It seems like you've put some good thoughts into the jobs you need to do and that helps a lot. You could depending on your choices go to ways but I'd recommend a good reliable tractor in the forty horsepower range for the back yard work and a smaller unit to navigate the front acreage. The smaller tractor wouldn't need a loader and a zero-turn would work well. Otherwise the TC-30 would more then likely make you a good tractor for all chores although lighter then I'd like to see if much logging and trail work as it could be a full load for it. Most dealers are good at instructions on proper operation of units and their limitations and with a little practice you should be up to speed. As much as I sell two of the brands that you have listed the Kubota has a better reputation for longevity in the repair end from new but the NH is still as reliable as the rest of the makes.. Your dealer comfort and the tactor seat comfort are two of the things you need to have an enjoyable ownership and a lot of fun! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-15          124569

I do almost everything on your list with a 32 hp JD 4310 on 15 acres and have no complaints about power. I don't maintain the finished area around the house and although we are thinning the trees I don't skid logs with it. Those get cut into small pieces and moved with a grapple, or cut into firewood, or chipped. On steep terrain you will need some good stability and you don't want to get sideways. If you don't have experience maybe a dealer will come out and scout it for you. My JD dealer came out to look and offer advice before I bought. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-02-15          124571

Like Ken I have found my 32 HP Kubota L3130 to do many of the tasks you have in mind for your tractor. I haven't done any finish mowing with it but now that my wife has put the connecting rod through the engine case in one of the lawn tractors I'm thinking of getting a 3pt finish mower too. Other than that the main difference is that the logging I've done has been on pretty flat terrain.
Dave ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-02-15          124574

I've been getting quotes for a B7800 with the 402 Loader (FEL) and a 60" Mid Mount Mower (MMM). Everyone who has quoted has given $16.9k. This is a 30hp tractor with a 3 speed hydro trans and R4 (industrial) tires.

The B7800 is powerful enough to do what you are describing, but small enough to do yard work and woods work.

Now, if I can only talk the budget manager (WIFE) into it... ....

View my Photos
Newbie1963

2006-02-16          124667

Thanks to everyone for your great advice. I really appreciate your time and feedback. I’m going to out this weekend to test drive the TC30, the TC29, and comparable Kubutos. Frankly, I’m leaning towards the TC29. It just seems like a good fit for size and price.

Fortunately, my “budget manager” is with me on this one. Our driveway is REALLY rough, and her car has been bottoming out for months. (Now, she doesn’t realize it but that’s been part of my strategy all along...I let the driveway get really washed out and then convince her that we need a tractor to fix it! So far, so good.)

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-02-17          124715

Like the guys above, I have a 32 hp JD 4310 and do most of the work you list above. I do use a 72" MMM for the lawn work (~3 acres worth). And I tell you it does a fine job. I prefer to use the 4310 for mowing than a regular lawn tractor. It's faster, bigger cut, more comfortable, power steering, I can rest a rifle on the hood when shooting at gophers, etc.

It's not the biggest or the most powerful, but it met the needs and the budget. It sounds like the models you are looking at should fit your needs. One drawback is my wife likes to drive the tractor. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-02-17          124717

In reading this thread I have finally realized something, there is a certain amount of Tim the Tool Man Taylor is all of us.

Many of those here use a CUT to cut (keep those letters straight) grass as Tim would because it is bigger or morepowerful than a lawnmower is. Could there be a better reason??

Iowafun, do you have rifle mount on your rollbar? Or tripod on your hood? ....

View my Photos
dklopfenstein

2006-02-20          124873

I have a JD 4410 with turfs. It also has a 300cx loader and a 72" mmm. I do everything from mowing my yard (my only mower), to moving rock and dirt, to leveling out my drive (1/4 mile long), to pushing snow, to pulling a trailer, and moving lumber for firewood. It does is all wonderfully...the only thing better would be to keep my 4410 and get a 72" zero turn for the yard because it would be faster...but pretty sure that won't happen! ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-02-21          124898

Kthompson - no rifle mount on the tractor. I was doing laps around the yard to change up the pattern. I saw the stripey watching me. I tried to run him over, but he beat me to the hole by about 1 foot. They're quick.

So I grabbed the .22 w/scope when I looped past the house just in case he was there when I looped back again. He was! So I hoped off and rested the rifle on the hood. I didn't find any blood or a carcas, but I enver saw him again and no new holes appeared in that vicinity. Good enough for me. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-02-21          124899

I forgot, KT mentioned that many use the CUT to mow with. In my case, the CUT has the power to run the big deck and keep the tractor speed up so I can mow in a reasonable time frame. A ztr would give me a better cut. But my grass isn't that great so I can't justify a seperate expensive unit. Besides, the ride on the CUT is smoother than most mowers I've ever driven. And it has a cup holder. So it holds a beer and ride quality is good so I'm less likely to spill said beer. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-02-21          124902

I have a 72 rfm and a ztr both same brand, Bushhog. The decks are very much alike with same spindles even. I can tell no difference in the quality of cut between the two. Speed, ztr takes 75% the time with 20 inch smaller deck. Trees and turning makes that.

The CUT with rfm is much better on wet slopes than the ztr. I suggest staying off of them with ztr.

kt

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login