Go Bottom Go Bottom

Box scraper help needed

View my Photos
Mike1819
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-23          99101

I had purchased a ford tractor(1910 and now have a JD 4700) that came with a box scraper. How do you use a box scraper? Do you always set them level with the ground? What can you do with them?
Any help would sure be aappreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Box scraper help needed

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-23          99104

Mike,

There are many threads in this section and the landscape board that discuss the use of the box scraper. It's been very helpful to me. Do some digging around and you'll find them. ....

Box scraper help needed

View my Photos
tractorbrad
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-24          99182

For grading driveways and landscaping a box scraper with a hydraulic top link is one of the greatest tools to have for a tractor.

Box scraper help needed

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-10-25          99232

Mike, have you had any luck in finding the posts about using a box scraper? Let me know. If you haven't, then I'll post with the doc links. I've found them to be quite helpful. ....

Box scraper help needed

View my Photos
Mike1819

2004-10-25          99239

I really haven't found too many that explained how to use a box scraper yet. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Is that a new electronic part on the circuit board in your pictures? Good lookin dogs though. ....

Box scraper help needed

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-10-26          99289

That's a pic of an over 18" bull snake some of our techs found when taking apart a test unit that had been in someone's home. It had stopped working. So they brought it in to work to figure out what happened. They found the snake when they pulled the cover off the circuit board. It was rather dead (fortunately) due to shorting across a high voltage section of the board. What a 18" bull snake was doing in someone's house and crawling into their appliance is beyond me. I think it was looking for a warm place to hide.

It scared the hell out of the techs when they found it. I've got another pic that shows it stretched out along a yardstick. ....

Box scraper help needed

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-10-26          99291

Mike,

Give the below link a shot. It goes on and on, but has info on setting the top link to get good results.

I'll keep looking for more.

Link:   to a yard/message post

Box scraper help needed

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-10-26          99292

Try this link below as well. Murf does a nice job of explaining the top link and lengthening it/shortening it to get desired results for driveway maintenance with a box blade. ....

Link:   driveway maintenance

Box scraper help needed

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-10-26          99293

Tyr the link below for some more. I had to search the topics going way back ( link at the bottom of all the topics) ....

Link:   more

Box scraper help needed

View my Photos
Mike1819

2004-10-26          99294

Thanks for taking the time to look these threads up. I really appreciate it. It seems there's a lot of good equipment out there to make a job easier once you figure out how to use them.

I think I may check into adding a hydraulic setup on the back for various things like down pressure with a box blade, log splitter, back hoe, etc.

Is there a rule of thumb as to how wide a box blade should be and can you get one too big other than a weight limit? ....

Box scraper help needed

View my Photos
Murf

2004-10-26          99300

Iowa, thank you for the kind words.

Mike, you cannot add 'down-pressure' to a standard 3pth, some tractors, mostly Russian and eastern European models have it but the 'normal' 3pth we have on the vast majority of tractors is incapable of exerting down-pressure because the lift arms can rise above the hydraulics that lift them freely.

A box blade, or most other implements are best if they are just wider than the rear tires so as to cover your tracks.

As for weight, the 3pth has lift capacities, and the front end will come up off the ground if you exceed the ballast at the other end.

Best of luck. ....

Box scraper help needed

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-10-27          99349

You're welcome murf. As for the width of the box blade, the wider you go, the mroe material the blade can hold. I've got a 5 ft box blade that I use on my JD 4310. Wehn it's full of rock, I run the risk of bogging the machine down and spinning the tires. So that's another factor to consider. You don't have infinite traction. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login