Go Bottom Go Bottom

Would a scraper blade and plow work for the job

View my Photos
johnathon
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-16          96575

Hey all, need some experienced advice.
I am trying to maintain a 25 arcre home and looking to buy a tractor here soon, but I have other jobs that need done as well and was wondering what attachment would work best.

I need to level out an area for a 20 X 40 foot garage. Would a scraper blade do the job? The ground is not level and is made up of rock and clay, relatively hard ground.
Also I wanted to dig about 7 trenches around 1 foot deep. Would a single blade plow work?

Greatly appreciate any advice

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
bmlekki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-16          96579

I would use the Box Scraper with the adjustable teeth, for leveling the area for your garage. The teeth should have a few positions, deep, mid, and have the ability to be removed. I love my Box Scraper, I’ve head guys here call it a Swiss arming knife of implements..
You may be better off getting the box scraper instead for just the blade, you can do more, unless you need the blade for snow or something else..
The plow should work if you make a few passes, it may not be pretty but you should be able to get down a foot.

How many feet of trench??

View my Photos
johnathon

2004-09-16          96583

I will check out the box blade, never thought about that. I am looking at about 200 feet in trenches maybe more. Some of the trenches will need to be dug in a sloped area. Sure did not want to do this job with a shovel and pick. Was not sure how far down the plow would go. ....

View my Photos
bmlekki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-16          96590

Boy, I just added 90' of leech field and I rented a tract hoe for a 150 for the day or about 500 for the weekend. The weekend rental got me the machine from 3:30 PM Friday till 10 AM Monday not bad. I dug anything I could think of to get my money out of it. I put close to 35 hours in that time... I dug a 20' by 18' pond 5' deep, the 90' feet for the leech, 75' for the trench to the well, and moved some large rocks and any thing else I could think of.

I guess my point is, windy today-lol,. Your 200 feet, a foot deep in hard ground may be very difficult in your soil. If you have enough other projects it may be worth it to rent something.. My 5 cents.. ;O)
What’s the trench for??

View my Photos
johnathon

2004-09-16          96593

lol, I thought about renting a trencher but if I could get it done with an attachment that I could use over and over again the investment might pay for itself. The trenches are for run off from the down spouts for the house, some outside electrical wiring, and a water line. But you make a great point. Right now I am stressing at all the projects that are building up and what I need to get them done. This is what started everything to get the tracor in the first place and the chores keep adding up ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-09-16          96601

In most places, codes are in effect on how deep services must be. Water lines in Michigan are deep because of freeze lines. Don't know about your area. Would think you need to rent a trencher for the water line. For water run off you can purchase a single beam sub-soiler to make a trench for tubing. If you put a narrow shoe on the sbu-soiler, you can dig a very narrow channel for electrical conduit lines. ....

View my Photos
johnathon

2004-09-16          96602

The water line is to the greenhouse from the well. The original owner laid a garden hose connected to pvc piping just under the service and of course it the hose has rotted and the PVC is broken. So I wanted to replace it. It will not be used in the winter. Not sure of the code here in NC. Will have to check and since I am going to do it I might as well do it right the first time. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-09-17          96664

Box scraper plus a hydraulic top-link and some practice before attempting a critical job sounds good for the grading. If the soil is hard, the heavier the scraper the better. I'd sure check codes for buried electrical. Specs for trenches are pretty particular some places and a backhoe is the usual tool.

I don't know how long these trenches for drainage pipes are or what problem the existing pipes solve. Increasing the back-grading on the house if necessary and just letting the down spouts drain on the surface may be easier. With buried drain pipe of any length there are clogging and capacity during storm issues and freezing. It'd be difficult with any sort of plow type implement to keep a constant desirable slope for drainage. ....

View my Photos
johnathon

2004-09-17          96671

Hey TomG, Thanks for the info. The existing owner buried the electrical wire to the existing barn just under the surface, So I want to redo it. I am supprised and lucky I did not hit it with the lawn mower already. The water line code I found out is supposed to be 12", electrical I will have to refer to the building code in this area. Not sure what the Hydraulic top-link may be, but will research. I am currenly looking at a New Holland TC35a, would this be sufficiant HP to pull the box scraper, plow, 5' Brush hog?
I have a 1/4 mile driveway that needs some attention and would be using the box scraper on it as well.
Thanks everyone for your help and advice thus far....greatly appreciated ....

View my Photos
johnathon

2004-09-17          96681

I found a plow, a leinbach 12" double bottom plow. The sales person at Leinbach said it would go to a depth of 6 to possibly 8 inches. The sales rep at Corriher said it would do a depth of 12". Is this something that can be adjusted from the tractor or from the plow perspective or both? ....

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-09-17          96682

The TC35a, will be just fine with the HP. I'm doing what you are with my JD790, a bit smaller than what you're looking at.

The top- and tilt is hydraulic cylinder on the three point hitch, and the help you adjust the height and angles of the implement.

Do a search in the archives {Message Contains: Top and Tilt}, there’s a bunch out there.

When you price it out add the top and tilt, or at least the rear remote hydraulic ports, if you want any implements later on that need auxiliary hydraulics. If your going to finance its nice to burry the extras now.

Have you and the dealer talked any prices yet?

View my Photos
johnathon

2004-09-17          96683

We have talked a little about prices, but I am still finding out about what I am going to need from all of you. And the info has been very helpful.
The TC35a gear, 4x4 with 5' rhino rotarry cutter $15,500
5' Rhino cutter $950
Leinbach double bottom plow $379
BB30-60 60" box blade $540
I was not aware of the top and tilt. I will search this and read up on it..Thanks again for your help ....

View my Photos
johnathon

2004-09-17          96695

I did the research and talked to the dealer. Here is what he quoted:"the cylinders for top and tilt would be $295 each, and you would also need two rear remotes on the tractor to run them for $330 each. This comes to a total of $1,250 for this option."
Is it well worth the price in the long run? Do you have many problems with the TNT? ....

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-09-17          96704

I unfortunalty didn't get it [yet]. I should have added to the the purchase price instead of having to come up with 1200 now...

I havent heard anyone say anything bad about them.
DRankin, and kwschumm have the top n tilt, maybe they'll chime in. If they dont try to send them a message, link below. ....

Link:   Board msg Email:

View my Photos
TomG

2004-09-18          96760

I only have a hydraulic top-link and the tractor already had a rear valve controlled outlet so it was inexpensive. I have a crank 3ph leveler so the tilt isn't so important. Without a hydraulic top-link, grading with a box scraper will take a bunch of time since many top-link adjustments are needed.

Many building supply places sell 'electrical code simplified' books and one would give requirements for buried branch circuits. It'd likely be something like 27" deep, which allows for 3" of fine sand all around the line and conduit for the up and down sections. Add another 12" depth if it goes under a roadway. Planking over the line reduces the depth by 6". It's good to lay marker tape 1' above any buried line so the next person who digs it up will have some warning.

From the sounds of the previous job, the wiring may be a mess and you could find yourself doing a bunch of unexpected things when an inspector gets a look. Better than burning the house down though. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login