Go Bottom Go Bottom

PLOTS1

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-18          91270

Plots1 I know you have used your box scraper for what I intend to use it for (food plots) A couple of questions for you?
Should I buy a few replaceable scarifers (I have very rocky soil)
How well will it work to straighten out a field that was plowed and furrowed pretty deep. After plowing I intend to pick all the LARGE rocks I see and then go over it with the scarifers down max. to try and level off the furrows a bit to see the other rocks that may damage my disk. pick them and then disk, pick again and then plant.
Also any tips for using it for what I intend it for, I also am using it to break up a round uped field that I had clover/weeds in this last spring, any tips for that using it? thanks buddy

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

PLOTS1

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-19          91346

Broken, I really never a problem breakin the sacifiers,but your machine is a bit heavier the my 790 was. I found that making a pass in one direction then crossing them to make like a tic tac toe board work really well. my new machine will do a much better job as I can angle blade up to get max depth on sacifiers with no lag on tractor at all (like it not back there)but haven't done a lot with it yet so hopefully I don't start wreckin the sacifiers. I think it will do real well on the weed field and even better on the pre plowed feild. All in all it's really not the correct tool but man does it work. ....

PLOTS1

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-07-19          91379

Actually, in rock country plowing is the pitts! You plow 9" deep and bring up monster boulders that may have stayed just under the disk. Least that is what I am finding out about plowing where I live. A Much larger tractor with a field cultivator would be great but I dont have that big a rig to pull that large a piece that is needed to do it right. That brings me back to the box blade, Sure looks like I will be getting the chance to find out for my self in 2 weeks. My scarifers are 12" apart, have you ever tried making one pass and then moving opver 6" and making anouther. This would leave 6" in between rips. Was wondering if my disk angled to its extreme would compensate and take out the rest.? 2 of my plots are pretty long and by design they are only 40 yards wide so criss crossing the short way would be a real pain in the butt. I will experiment a bit but if all else fails I will do it your proven way! I cant wait! Wanted to try it out this weekend but at the same time I needed to get the second spraying in and did not want to bring up any new weed seeds before I was ready to plant and lose the benifit of my round up applications si I decided to wait till the 1rst of Aug. and then giver till I get them done!
Thanks for you reply Plots1 ....

PLOTS1

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-20          91429

FWIW, the soil at our deer camp is pretty rocky stuff also. In fact I think it's more of a case of dirt between the rocks than rocks in the dirt.

We have many small plots scattered throughout, one or two are made or re-worked each year, all were made with a Rhino 84" box blade with scarifiers. I found that by making repetitive passes, each one a few inches deeper, you ended up with a really well tilled surface and reasonably loose subsoil. IT also helped because you felt the top of each big rock before you hit it full on. When the blade bounced on a big rock we stopped and got out the spade and pry bar and rolled it out. It was worth it, following years it was MUCH easier to do that plot.

If the soil is marginal, a little organic amendment goes a long way also. I got a load of manure from a local beef farm and blended it 50/50 with sand from a stream bank. It made a HUGE difference.

So far I have not broken any scarifier shanks, but I have broken or lost about a dozen tips on them.

Best of luck. ....

PLOTS1

View my Photos
plots1

2004-07-20          91490

Broken,your idea on spacing sacaifiers will do well I'm sure, The criss crossing seemed to break clogs up better and it seemed to take a little less disking. And yes the more angle you run on your disk the more aggressive your cutting will be. ....

PLOTS1

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-07-20          91504

good idea murf on not taking a full bite right off the bat.
I know in the field that I have not had worked for 13 years that there are many boulders 2' dia. and larger that have pushed up with the frosts over the years. I have seen a few 3 years ago when I had a guy come plow it
Plots1
I am like a kid counting the days till x-mas, cant wait to stir up the soil with it.

ALL
2 questions
Should I have a few tips on hand? Any idea on how much they run about?
Also, I bought a 6 foot Box blade. Should I of bought a 84"er like Murf has? What an after thought huh? DAH Was thinking that 6ft would cover my tracks well and never gave her a thought about going bigger. ....

PLOTS1

View my Photos
plots1

2004-07-20          91505

Are you going to be sewing in for a fall plot? what are you planting? I'm going to no till in some corn in my hay field next spring can't wait to see what happens there. ....

PLOTS1

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-21          91538

Broken, we are both running about the same size machine, my 'Bota is 45hp at the crank.

The 84" Rhino can be a real challenge in 'virgin' soil sometimes. It is the outside limit of how bog a blade I could run for sure, a 72" would be better with more aggressive cuts.

My logic was that the primary use I was getting it for was road maintenance and that doesn't require a lot of heavy cuts or deep ripping.

I think in the long run you will be happier with the 72" blade you bought.

Best of luck. ....

PLOTS1

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-07-21          91602

Great Murf! Thanks now that you brought that up, I believe you told me that many months ago when I asked the same thing and that is why I never gave it anouther thought. (man I am gettin old, cant remember 2 months ago!) LOL

PLOTS1
I have 8 acres of corn that just sprung into life , was worried about it cause it was put in LATE because of rain but it is coming along nicely now.
As for (deer plots) I am sorry habitat improving high nutrition feeding plots (that sounds better to the non-hunters) I have (1) roughly 2 acre plot that last year grew great rape/turnip mix, the clover came in this spring but my lack of weed controll before planting last fall ruined it, so I sprayed round up twice on it (June 28th and then again July 17th) That plot is going into a mix I got from the Mid Michigan QDMA (Ed Spinazola's mix) It has
10% purple top turnips,
30%winter canola,
30%dwarf essex rape,
30%biologic maximum
I paid 20 bucks a bag (one bag does 1 acre) I heard it is a real good mix, I will add a few pounds of clover to it just incase I cant get in the field next spring to plant my forage brassica for summer.
The other food plot is 1 to 1 1/2 acres and is way in the back of the 160 acres (the first one is in the middle but you can barely see a corner of it from the road "that is BAD") Anyway the secons plot in back has not been in crop since 1990. I limed and had it plowed 3 years ago (also removed all the saplings a year before that) but never was able to hire anyone to come in and finish it (All I had was my 8n and I had no real equipment I needed)
I now dont need anyone!!!! HA HA! (kinda feels good!)
So I sprayed that field the same dates as the other one, will finish ripping it up after plowing next weekend. I am waiting till the 16th of Aug. and will plant
winter wheat in this field. I plan on rotating it into a summer plot next year of a high protein mix along with beans,peas,and clover, will disk this in Aug. 2005 and put it into a brassica mix for the fall draw. I had great success last fall with my brassica mix, the deer were hammering it starting around Oct. 18th (after the first HARD frost) and did not leave the field till they went into their "yards" In Jan. I watched the deer every night the last 10 days of Dec. last year dig up turnips thru the snow. They forgot about the back yard corn pile my only neighbor has out every year (untill well after dark) She was not happy with the plot for she never would see deer before dark! HA HA!!!
Are you planning on planting anything for fall this Aug.? ....

PLOTS1

View my Photos
plots1

2004-07-21          91604

not this fall I have alpha and clover going good now but lookin foward to corn next spring, along with some beans and sunflower mix. ....

PLOTS1

View my Photos
plots1

2004-07-21          91605

do you do all your own spraying? ....

PLOTS1

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-07-22          91656

My pictures 17 and 20 show me with the sprayer. I am real happy with it, especially for the money that I paid. Bought it from farm and fleet its a fimco. I couldnt see spending 3 times that on a 3 point sprayer for how often I use it.
Yes I have done all my spraying. I will let you know how the generic I used last week works. I am sure it will do just fine, it is 41% glysophate and has the "suffacant" already in it. I paid $55 for 2.5 gal. at farm and fleet.
The first spraying this year I used a round up from my seed store $50 a gallon!!!! It was 50% glyso but at $50 a gal. I cant afford to spray too many times a year! LOL.
I understand that 41% to 50% is what you shoot for? ....

PLOTS1

View my Photos
JParker

2004-07-22          91671

brokenarrow

Is that a 1 head or 3 head sprayer. I think I have the same unit from Northern (25 gallon, 1.8 GPM pump) but it only came with the hand wand and I am looking to add spray head(s).

They have both single & 3 head options. Just currious what you like and don't about your rig.

I assume you rigged a remote power switch into the line? ....

PLOTS1

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-22          91678

Brokenarrow, I'm also curious about your fimco sprayer. How far will it spray in a single stream? I'd like to find something that will spray up to maybe 50 feet and am suspicious that the electric pumps won't cut it. ....

PLOTS1

View my Photos
plots1

2004-08-08          92955

Well I opened my trap a bit early on the box scraper teeth,I was clearing a small hilltop this weekend around my deer stand and ended up snaping two of the five teeth of my Frontier 60 inch box blade. MURF what are they going to cost me I've read you have replaced a few.Never broke any when using with the 790-It would just stop the tractor.The 5205 never though about even bogging just started snaping teeth. I did manage to get all the roots cleared but lost a few teeth while doing it.I really need a larger box as the 60 inch is well inside the rear tires. ....

PLOTS1

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-08-08          92992

WOW 50 foot? You may be right, dont know how many nozzels that the preesure would stay up that high for. I have 2 nozzels and get a 8 foot spray pattern each one covers 4 foot at 18" above the growth. It cuts out at 60 psi and I spray at around 30-40. Yes I rigged up a light switch to the wire that sits by my seat. Whyen I get time I will rig it up to one of the extra outlets for the rops lighting so I can just plug into one of them and then use the switch on the tractor. E-mail Fimco and ask tech support if it would handle a boom with 12 nozzels but I have the same feeling as you that 50' would need more volume. Maybe not though, suppose some of these engineers here could figure it out. Suppose all of us could for that matter.
50'???? What are you spraying? That would be around a 24 foot boom? Maybe there are different nozzels that would not atomize the fluid that much and may have a larger spray patter?
Sorry not enough info here good luck and keep me informed on how you end up?
PS sorry it took so long to get back, I was out playing with the tractor for the last week. See my new pics 1-6 ....

PLOTS1

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-08-08          92994

I don't need a 50 foot boom, probably more like 6-8 feet. I want the sprayer to shoot a 40-50 foot stream so I can spray pesticide on the paper wasp or hornets nest that they seem to build at the peak of our gable roof every year. There's no other way to get 'em and the nest is too close to the deck for comfort. ....

PLOTS1

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-08-08          92997

My Northern Tool PTO pump will spray that far with ease. Too bad they dropped it from their catalog. ....

PLOTS1

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-08-08          92998

How about a longer hose on the hand wand and then make a extension for the wand handle out of something light enough to lift but stong enough to not bend? I am going back to my place next week and will add some water to the spray wand and see how far it shoots. Ever wonder how those "taggers" spray paint sides of rocks or over passes? Maybe you need to employ one of them to hang by their feet from your peak and spray the nest? LOL
I will get back to you on the spray distance.
Just wondering, I have a power sprayer that has a hose attachment for soap. I bet the sprayer goes 40-50 foot? Wonder if you could use something like that with a hose in a bucket of bug killer? Of course you better be fast on your feet!
The other morning I came back to my cabin from looking for bear. It was around 5:30 am and was pretty cold out. I had my porch light on all night, I have a birds nest on top of it. I just about grabbed the door handle when I notice about 50 ground hornets on and around my door and light!!!! Must of been there when I left but it was dark out. They were pretty sluggish since it was around 50 degrees. I sprayed every one of those little stingin
%$$#^(*$#. All week I would see one or 2 trying to find out wehat happened to what I think is a nest in the soffit.
I also had anouther wasp nest inside the soffit about 5 foot away from all of these. That also took me all week to shoot down each one coming back since I couls not see it to get it at night (its inside the alum. soffit)
ARGGGGG I cant stand bee's and hornets!lol ....

PLOTS1

View my Photos
Murf

2004-08-09          93018

Ken, a neighbour at our farm had the same problem, every year there was a huge wasp nest in the peak of the gable end of the house.

His solution was rather than trying to spray them from 50 feet away, he got closer, MUCH closer.

He went into the attic and drilled a very small hole in the gable end at the very peak, then stuch a small hose and nozzle through then siliconed the daylights out of it. The hose runs back to where his access trap-door is located. When the wasps show up he just hooks the hose up to his little pump-up spot sprayer and gives them a little shower.

It's sort of hard for them to sting him when he's inside, LOL.

Plots, I don't know what kind of tips your scarifiers use, our blades are Rhino and they use a standard tip which we buy from the same people where we get the teeth for the B/H and all the other 'wear' parts.

Best of luck. ....

PLOTS1

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-08-09          93025

I have a 3200 PSI pressure washer and the soap attachment won't spray that far. I've tried! I spray 'em at night when they're all home. If you put a piece of red plastic film over the flashlight they won't be able to see you. I knock a few nests down every year this way and haven't been stung yet. Before I began baiting for 'em I used to have 40-50 nests a year, this year there's less than 10 but OF COURSE they have to build 'em in the most difficult places. We ran into a hornets nest high in a tree yesterday while logging but we are so wrapped up in safety equipment that nobody got stung. That nest got sprayed last night.

Murf, that's not a bad idea but it would be hard to get to the gable peak in the attic without first putting in floors to hold the ladder. And we'd have to do it on each of the four gable peaks. A sprayer would be easier I think and since I need one anyway...

PLOTS1

View my Photos
Murf

2004-08-09          93039

Ken, I said it was a good idea, I never said it would work, LOL.

Northern Tool and others sell special nozzles for use with sprayers for treating trees, I recall reading in the catalogue that thye would spray 'up to' 50 feet.

I could only find one on their website though, see the link below.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Tree Sprayer

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login