Go Bottom Go Bottom

Implement Wt Limitation vs 3ph Max Lift Weight

View my Photos
JParker
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-20          86465

The Owner's manual for my B7800 lists a 50", 550# max weight Rotary Tiller as the max for my tractor. I assume the 50" max width is governed by pto power limitations. The max weight would appear to be based on 3ph lift and strength concerns. One implement dealer I spoke with showed me on the Kubota site that my machine can lift 1300# 24" back from the 3ph lift point (listed under the hydraulic specs). Since I think this is about where a tiller would be I "...shouldn't worry about having a heavier tiller than they recommend". There are pleanty of good threads on tillers in the archive. Any thoughts on the 550# vs 1300# weight limit difference?

I'm thinking a good 48-50" tiller within the weight limits that can offset to cover one of my tracks is the safe way to go.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-20          86466

I'm sure Kubota set the 550# limit to allow for the effects of leverage and shock loads when driving over bumps with the cutter in a raised position. If you exceed the weight limits and something breaks Kubota could void your warranty, and I'm sure the implement dealer wouldn't help you out. I think your conclusion on the safe way to go is the correct one. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-05-21          86507

I think Kubota is making reference to one of their own products that they consider ideal for your tractor.

A B7800 is capable of lifting way more than 550 pounds, on either end. ....

View my Photos
bluetay
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-23          86651

I recently talked with a guy that has a 2910 kubota that was told that the TPH top link bracket would not take the torque and shock from larger and heavier than 60 inch and 650# rototiller. I don't remember ever hearing of this I thought if the horsepower width/weight were in limits you were good to go. So how do you match them up? ....

View my Photos
snmhanson

2004-05-24          86688

I can't answer your question about a tiller, but I have a 65" box blade on my 7800 where the manual only recommends a 54" box blade. The weight of the blade is just about the same that Kubota recommends. It has worked fine for the thirty or forty hours I have used it so it seems to me that the limits in the Kubota manual may be a little conservative. I do get a little concerned about what would happen if I broke the tractor while using it though. It does say that your warranty can be voided if you use implements larger than recommended by Kubota. I'm not saying you should necisarilly get a larger tiller than Kubota recommends, just letting you know what my experience has been.

Matt ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-05-24          86697

I agree with Mark on this one. I have carried several railroad ties on my carry all that I am sure was approaching over 1,000 lbs and driving through the yard hitting bumps and dips and it did fine and nothing was bent or broken. If it could only handle 550 lbs. before things started breaking then it would seems pretty much useless to have the hydraulics able to pick up 1300 pounds. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-05-24          86746

The important difference hear is that it is a tiller. The torque to the three point from the rotating tiller makes a difference on what the three point is capable of accepting. The "shock" or impact loads from the tiller could easily double the reaction at the three point. This kind of impact load would not be generated by carrying loads or dragging a box blade. Better stick with the recommended limitations on this one.

The recommended tillers from Kubota are the BL60C (57") Economy tiller or the FL1271RC (50") Deluxe reversable tiller. Both weigh in around 480lbs. ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-05-25          86765

beagle, I don't think that the size of the tiller would matter as far as the shock issue. If you hit a rock or root, regardless of whether you are using a 60" or 48" tiller the impact will be there. And if a little bit of shock is going to damage those lift arms then they aren't made that great. I think he would be fine with a 60" tiller on it. As far as carrying things putting stress on the arms, it would seem carrying items would put more stress on the arms as they are being pulled down whereas if a tiller hits something the arms really aren't carrying any weight and there is room for it to push up.
Just my $.02

View my Photos
beagle

2004-05-25          86767

Ya, Kubota only limits the reversable tiller to 50". The standard or economy tiller recommended is a 60" tiller (BL60C). The reversable tiller is limited to 50" because of the impact loading on the 3pt. It isn't the arms that are the weak link with the tiller. It is the top link. The arms can carry plenty of load as I mentioned. It is the impact on the top link from the rotating tiller that is the limiting factor. Even though the tillers are shear protected or clutched, some impact still needs to get to the top link before the failure mechanism can work. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-05-25          86769

Here we go, when a manufacturer makes a recommendation for a piece of equipment it had better go anywhere he is selling it or it is just another bunch of wild claims! We have all seen claims from manufacturers that are out of line. Depending on your local conditions dictates what you can safely run. Kubota has always been conservative when rating there equipment which is why they have a good reputation for the quality of there products. We often put 60" tillers behind the 2910-7800 chassis and have not seen one fail yet even in central NY's boney soil! ....

View my Photos
JParker

2004-06-30          89756

Thanks for all the input. I pretty well stayed in the recommendations. King Kutter's 48" Gear Drive tiller from TSC. Price just under $1000 + tax, + oil + + + +

It has a built in 12" offset to the right to cover tracks of a 5 tractor nicely.

It turned my clay & rock soil into a nice soft almost powder consistiency very easily. It even turned a big rock into a bunch of smaller ones before I could stop it. When I looked for damage, I barely could find a nick in a tooth. What a machine.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login