Go Bottom Go Bottom

Homeowner implements

View my Photos
jonathanengr
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-02          81856

I'm planning on purchasing a tractor very soon, and know of a few implements I'd like to have. Primarily I'd like a finishing mower, tiller, brush mower and a blade. However, what are other implements that a homeowner might find handy?? I've been loking so hard at tractos I've never really researched implements. Also, when purchasing my tractor, would most any brand implement be fine for homeowner use, or are their brands to avoid?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Homeowner implements

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-02          81863

The biggest thing to remember is like most other things... There ain't no free lunch.

I went prepared to buy a new rear blade from a big box store recently. $249 for a King Kutter 6 foot blade with tilt an offset almost seemed too good to be true, and it was.

It was out of square, out of plumb and the pin holes didn't line up. The blade slopped back and forth on the control arm and the welding was sloppy at best.

I should have known better. Every "bargain" piece I have bought or looked at has fallen into this category.

Just be careful and examine everything very carefully before you buy.

I had to spend $700 to get the quality I wanted in a rear blade but in the long run it is worth it. ....

Homeowner implements

View my Photos
Abbeywoods
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-02          81866

True enough, quality costs. Jon, what I suggest is that you make a list, over the course of several days or weeks, of everything you want to do with your tractor, or everything you expect it to do. With list in hand you will stand a better chance of making the right selection than if you just made a guess. It is fairly hard for us to make a suggestion to you when we don't know your total plans. You may find that for some projects it would be wise to rent, rather than buy. A rental is there only as long as you need it, you don't have to store or maintain it, and if the projects are over several years time, chances are a good rental yard will have the latest types on hand with the latest features. ....

Homeowner implements

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-02          81868

Lots of good points here.

Another good source of information is a dealer, they know what people in YOUR area are buying and what they are doing with it. A problem or need in one area may not exist in another.

I doubt you are going to need for a snowblower or plow, but us northerners would be lost without one. Likewise I don't have much problem keeping Kudzu under control here in Canada.

Basically look at all the things you do, or would like to do, and decide which of them are the most labour and/or time intensive.

Best of luck. ....

Homeowner implements

View my Photos
jonathanengr

2004-04-02          81869

Good point. My primary goal here is to actually get a list of things a tractor can do. For instance, I had no idea you could get a granular spreader for a tractor until I visited a site the other day. I doubt if I'd want to buy one, but it's good to know they exist (the little spreader for lawnmower has performed faithfully for years!). Also, what do some implements do? I've seen "yard rakes"--a row of rakes made from spring steel--but what are they used for?

As for my plans, I plan to to reseed my lawn. what tools will I need? A tiller? Box blade or standard blade? Etc. I also want to "terrace" an area in my yard, thus I'll need a FEL, and....????? I'll definitely be mowing--not just "bush-hogging", so I'll need a finishing mower. Any rec there for a good one? Do they have a tendancy to "lift" off the yard if you go over a hill? I'll be doing general trash/junk/dirt moving, thus the FEL again, and I'll be doing a garden with my wife (tiller, rippers? disc harrows? (what are those used for, anyway?).

This is a general synopsis--feel free to ask more ?'s if needed. Thanks for all the input! ....

Homeowner implements

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-02          81902

Jonathaneng
You may want to ask the dealers right now how long it will take for your tractor to come in (if they dont have the one you want on hand) It was anywhere from a month to 1 1/2 months for the one I wanted equiped the way I spec.
Good luck ....

Homeowner implements

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-02          81917

i sugjest you research any thing you would want first and know how it works though they may be fun tractors and implements are not toys they will hurt you if you do not have a proper understanding of how they work your best bet is to go back inthe shop of your dealer and ask a tech ....

Homeowner implements

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-02          81919

what are some things you would like to get done? how big is your proporty? ....

Homeowner implements

View my Photos
beagle

2004-04-02          81940

Before you buy a tractor, make sure you know what you want to do with it. What tasks you want to perform drives the need for implements, which in turn will help decide which tractor is going to fit you and your implements best. You could make a serious mistake buying a tractor, and then deciding what you are going to do with the tractor and which implements you need.

Once you have the "must do's" narrowed down, talk to your dealer and they will help you decide which tractor package is going to suit you best. Tractors are equiped differently depending on use. ....

Homeowner implements

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-04-02          81949

I am a homeowner with just 2 acres. But I like the IM502 brush chopper for chopping small brush in my lower yard. I chainsaw the rest of the wood for the fireplace. Move your brush to a remote area of your property, place in rows, and chop it up when you feel like it. It cost less than the Troy Bilt 8HP chipper I bought years ago (which I found to be useless), and gets the job done without burning - which my town doesn't allow. Also, clearing some areas and helping the neighbors out is fun. ....

Homeowner implements

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-03          82017

for re seeding your lawn i would not recomend buying any thing but rather rent a 3pt over seeder which basicly sets the grass seed under the soil for better germination but then there are alot of times your lawn dose not need reseeded but rather dethached and ariated ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login