Go Bottom Go Bottom

Christmas Tree planting

View my Photos
Blueman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-26          81220

Does anyone have experience using a 3PH christmas tree planter? I would like to put in about 5 acres of trees this year...even if the deer end up getting more than their share!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Christmas Tree planting

View my Photos
treeman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-29          81516

I have used the tree planter that the state of Wisconsin loans out for tree planting. Did you have questions? ....

Christmas Tree planting

View my Photos
Blueman

2004-03-30          81532

Treeman, thanks for replying. Do I need to plow or anything first, or is this a "no-till" type planter? I'm not sure if any of the Pennsylvania offices loan a planter. Is it difficult to work, and how many were you able to plant in a day? ....

Christmas Tree planting

View my Photos
treeman

2004-03-30          81552

The tree planter was not a 3ph type. It sat on 2 wheels and you would pull it with the drawbar. You needed aux. hydraulics to raise and lower it. There is a large knife wheel that would cut the sod then spreads it. The person in the back lowers the tree into the slit and two angled tires push the soil together. It doesn't like to hit rocks but normal soil is ok. You can easily plant 5 acres in a day. ....

Christmas Tree planting

View my Photos
treeman

2004-03-30          81553

Blueman....if you could not view my whole message, let me know. ....

Christmas Tree planting

View my Photos
Blueman

2004-03-30          81555

Treeman, thanks for the reply, I think I got most of it...looks like 5 acres per day...sounds about what i need. I would like to put in 4-5 acres per year. I'll have to try to contact my local ag office to see if they have planters available. ....

Christmas Tree planting

View my Photos
treeman

2004-03-30          81574

You may have to contact your DNR office. I searched "county tree planter on the web and came up with this site under links.
It's similar to the planter I used.

Link:   Tree Planter

Christmas Tree planting

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-30          81597

Blueman
You may want to scrap the idea of planting this spring and prepair your field this summer fall. Maybe till up your field this spring do a soil sample and start bringing the soil up to where it should be also if you want to feed some deer for the year plant a brassica. Then in Late Aug. or early Sept. disk it in and fertilize again and add what ever else you may need for your trees. Plant a winter wheat for the fall hunt. That should leave you with a nice flat well prepaired field for next spring tree planting. I am not a tree farmer but have planted thousands of trees, IMHO you should prepair your fields or dont waiste your time with the trees. You will be glad you waited a year so you can be ready next year to do it right. ....

Christmas Tree planting

View my Photos
Blueman

2004-03-31          81676

Arrow, As usual, I have too many irons in the fire, and may not get around to planting this spring anyway. I still haven't decided which brush hog I want, but wanted to ask you if have used your Boomer without your FEL, with something as heavy as a 6' medium duty brush hog on the back...I'm not worried about the power, but I am concerned with my hilly terrain without the FEL (it's on the wish list as well!) I'm going to an auction this Saturday to look at a 6' KK brush hog that is a year old, but I'm still leaning toward a "Quality" rotary mower by Woods or Bush Hog. ....

Christmas Tree planting

View my Photos
StephenR

2004-03-31          81682

Blueman,
I have not bought a rotary mower yet but I'm leaning toward the KK. From what I hear, it's a very good unit. Not as strong as the Bush Hog but half the price. How hilly is your terrain? I have 45 degree hills that I'm concerned about also.

Christmas Tree planting

View my Photos
Blueman

2004-03-31          81685

StephenR, I'm in the SW part of our state, with gently rolling hills, and some flat bottom land. Some of the hills are probably 25-30 degree slopes, hence my concern with a heavier brush hog on my TC45D w/o a counterbalancing FEL. I have some front weights on my tractor, but I am sure not enough to counter a 1000# mower on the back. So until I get the FEL on the front ($$!), I'll have to be careful! ....

Christmas Tree planting

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-01          81833

Blueman
No I have not, still waiting to recieve the tractor. I told them not to worry till the snow was gone but I hear it is schedualed to arrive on Easter. Sorry no help on the boomer yet but I will post the first weekend after trying all my new impliments out>
Think Spring!!!! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login