Go Bottom Go Bottom

Roundup tank pull behind sprayer with boom

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-13          79783

Anyone have any experiance with a "FIMCO Industries" trailer tank sprayer? Hope I did not mess up but I bought one, a 15 gal. tank on a trailer with a boom covering a 80" swath. 2.1 GPM at 60 psi. Has a 12v demand Diaphrapm pump says it Roundup ready? That is what I need it for. The price was right new at $227.00 small but I hope it puts out enough gpm for my needs of roundup applications? Any comments or suggestions? I do have the reciept still and have not took it out of the box yet.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-13          79788

sounds like a good buy. your probley going to wish you went with a larger tank though. then again I guess it all depends on how much area you want to spray, as you will go through 15 gallons rather fast. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-03-13          79798

Plots1
OK, Talk to me my friend! Here is my master plans for the uses. (biggest projects first) I have 10 acres open field (old hay field) I plan to kill it off completely, Mow it close to the ground first sign of warm weather, then the June 1rst First spraying, wait 4 weeks and spray it again. wait anouther 3 weeks and disk the living heck out of it, (If I cant get down to 3" or so I will till it ) wait for any new growth from disturbed weed seeds and round up it for the last time.
So 10 acres hit 3 times with RU.

I have another (full) 2 acre field in the back of my 160 acre woods that needs the same attention as the bigger field but needs a few weeks of rock picking in it also. I have also anouther 2-3 acres that is active in crops.
I also may elect to spray around 1- 1 1/2 miles of trails (dont know yet though, maybe just cut em and forgetem) LOL.
SO total will be 12 acres 3 times this year. Not too much I guess but I realixe it will take more time than if I had a larger tank.
Your conclusion???? How many times would I need to mix the round up for the bigger field each time? In other words, on average how much acreage can I expect to get out of 15 gallons of mix? I have one field that looks as good as yours in one of your pics, amazing what the right ph and fertilizer will do for a draw, (you know what I mean anyway)
Thanks for responding??? ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-03-13          79800

Brokenarrow, I really don't know anything about Fimco brand sprayers. But I have had lots of experience with Roundup, so I'll just share a few thoughts. Roundup is a nonselective herbicide, meaning it kills any plant it contacts other than roundup ready soybeans, corn, cotton, etc. I really don't know how low you can go on volume and still have roundup be effective, but using 60 lbs. of pressure in even the slightest breeze is going to let the product drift farther than you think and will kill things you did'nt want dead. To be safe you need lots of volume, a coarse spray pattern nozzle, and low pressure to prevent drift. Most farm supply stores have low drift high volume nozzels basicly intended for roundup, 2-4-D, and other such herbicides that can drift onto adjacent things, no matter how well equiped you are never spray when the wind can carry the product toward another plant you don't want damaged or killed. I'd have to dig out some spray nozzel charts, but I dont think a 15 gal. tank with the correct nozzels will get you very far. You may have a nice neighbor lady who brings over a fresh apple pie when you plow her drive, but if you smack her prize petunias with roundup things may change. Enjoy the day, Frank. ....

View my Photos
loghouse95

2004-03-13          79809

I would not cut it close before spraying with roundup I find it works much better if you get good coverage on the weeds or grass ....

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-14          79839

I'm not sure how much you'll be mixing , but 15 gals at that psi don't seem like you get far before remixing. I think you should get with a neibor that does a lot of field work and listen an learn, that is what I do. Them old boys can learn you things fast beings they tried it all and seem to know the best and fastest way to prepare a field. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2004-03-14          79841

I have used a 15 gal spot sprayer on my quad to spray hawthorn saplings and was real surprised on how often I had to remix, but then I was really soaking then as to be sure they were killed off. didn't like them future tire destroying tree growing! Them tree's will spread like a house fire if you don't get a handle on them. ....

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-03-14          79877

I've used Roundup to control weed and brush along some old stone walls, but have always applied it with a hose end applicator or hand-carried tank. For the acreage you have, I think you should look at a much larger tank, and check if you can get a generic glyphosate in bulk. Most literature on the net gives rates of around 4 pounds per acre of the glyphosate, which is a gallon of 41% concentrate. You have to dilute it so the vegetation is well covered, as it is absorbed thruogh the leaves and stems. Any that runs off is wasted, as ground contact inactivates it. It is also quite expensive, if purchased in the retail 1/2 or 1 gallon bottles. Best retail I've seen here is 1-gal of 50% at around $60, if my memory is correct.
Just my 2-cents...
bliz ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-03-14          79897

WOW, I guess I will have to do a little unpacking with the sprayer. The box says roundup ready so I guess I will need to see how far I can go on the 15 gal. tank. Its not to late to get a 25 galloner. Thanks for the input. ....

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-03-14          79901

BrokenArrow,
Just a short followup: Tne 4 lbs/acre was for brush control using Honcho, a generic glyphosate. You'll have to check the specifics for whatever you use, as there are different salts of glyphosate. Some make the mixture extremely corrosive (will cause Permanent eye damage) which is not the case with the trademarked Roundup.
I've seen rates of from well under 1 lb-acre for use on some crops to 'drill holes in stump and fill with undiluted product' I'm thinking of getting big a sprayer myself, but am still very undecided as whay I really need...

bliz ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-03-14          79908

The roundup I have used in tank sprayers (hand helds) I have always mixed at 1 quart/acre and seems to handle most grasses fine, depending on how tall, a second appl. sometimes was needed. I will explore the different nozzels for the best application rate. I dont have to worry about neighbors (where I am I have none within 200 yards from any point of property)
Is it best to use the wheeler as to not worry about the new tractors paint? ....

View my Photos
JDLOVER

2004-03-15          79923

Brokenarrow: I can't comment much on Roundup, but I do have a Fimco sprayer with 50 gal tank and 12 V electric pump. I have had it for three years and am very happy with it. If it is not to late to get a larger tank, I strongly suggest you spend the extra money and get at least a 25 gal tank, and with 10 acres, I would definitely get a 50 gal tank. I think I paid about $750.00 for my setup three years ago.

J. Malloy

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login