Go Bottom Go Bottom

Broom Sweeper

View my Photos
jasonsewell
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-08          73496

I am looking for a pto driven rotary broom/sweeper for my 3pth. I do not want one that has a collection unit, just the broom. From what I have seen of a few brands, the broom bottom rolls towards the tractor, throwing all the dust and debris at the rear of the machine. If the tool was not using the pto, I would not be concerned, but I don't want that abraisive material near a moving piece of eqp.(pto shaft). I would like one that rotates the other way sending the material away from the tractor, which means I would have to operate in reverse, but thats OK. Anyone have any experience with these brroms have any brand suggestions or observations?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Broom Sweeper

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-09          73511

Jason, two things come top mind when you mention brooms.

First is there some good reason why you even want a POWERED broom, we use all static brooms for exactly the reasons you mention, dust and dirt flying everywhere. Also, a static broom can be mounted to, or carried by, anything that rolls, we use them on forklifts, skidsteers, even our front-deck grass machines. Besides, a static broom is a few HUNDRED dollars, not a few THOUSAND dollars.

Secondly, if for whatever reason, you still want a powered broom, why not go with a hydrostatic unit, that way you can make it turn whatever direction and speed you want?

Best of luck. ....

Broom Sweeper

View my Photos
jasonsewell

2004-01-09          73548

I snowplow commercially here in CT, and most of my accounts are commercial not residential. Banks, stores, etc. get heavily sanded, more so than apts, condos. In the spring, I charge for sweeping, then sub it out to a friend with a street sweeper, but only make about $40 per average lot.

I am afraid that a static broom would not contain larger qts. of sand. Plus, the rotating broom basically sweeps the area a few times not just once, gathering more material in one pass with the mnachine.

I tried to stay away from the hydro units because they are substantially more expensive than the pto driven units. Why pay for a hydraulic motor when I have a pto for free???

I was even considering a walk behind sweeper, but for $1900, I can almost buy the rotary and never have an engine to maintain or replace.

Maybe static is the way to go...but I was unsure about them so I didn't even consider them too much.

Thanks for the insight. ....

Broom Sweeper

View my Photos
k9fletch

2004-01-13          73836

Jason, I have a front mount sweeper, it runs off the rear pto, I took it off a used Ford 1910 that I bought. I have never used it(the sweeper), and have been thinking of selling. If you are interested send me an e-mail. Ill try to post up a picture of it.

Tom ....

Broom Sweeper

View my Photos
MikeD.

2004-01-21          74647

Murf.

I'm interested in your comment that a static broom costs only a few hunred dollars not a few thousand, like a rotary broom. I've been looking at a Grotech Broomer, 7 ft, bucket mount, but the dealer says $1,575 Cdn. It sure seems like enough for a pretty simple piece of equipment. Is there something cheaper out there, or are we even talking about the same thing.

I want it for a fairly large paved yard and lane, and I'm thinking it would do a better job than my loader bucket at cleaning a pond for skating. Has anyone used one of these for ice clearing?

Broom Sweeper

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-21          74650

Mike, the Grotech is that much, I've bought one.

I've also made several similar ones, the bristle strips are available from the people who sell industrial brushes like those on street sweepers. It is NOT $1500 for enough to make a really nice sweeper.

Yes, they work just fine at cleaning ice, and almost anything else, they even do a fairly passable job of de-thatching grass too I've discovered.

If you want the name of the place to get the bristles let me know, the rest is just light angle iron and a plate to hold it together.

Best of luck. ....

Broom Sweeper

View my Photos
jasonsewell

2004-01-21          74653

Murf: I would be interrested in making my own static broom instead of buying one(if the time and expenses are worth it). I have now considered these as an option to the mechanical brooms. The info on the bristles and any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ....

Broom Sweeper

View my Photos
MikeD.

2004-01-21          74654

Murf, great. If you could give me the name of a supplier of the bristles, I'll check it out.

Most times I don't mind paying for ready made stuff. For me, all the time lost and aggravation trying to do it myself is not worth the money saved. But this seems like it should be pretty darn simple. ....

Broom Sweeper

View my Photos
jasonsewell

2004-01-21          74655

I found a brand called sweepEx. Does anyone know if these are any good? ....

Broom Sweeper

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-01-21          74659

jason i see you have several skid loaders. You can rent them for $200 to $250 a day. Have them all lined up and then do them in one day. Thats the cheapest way, and while you have it see if the rental shop will sell it. It might me brand, new and you could get it 20% off a new one. I got a friend who got one that way for $2400 and paid it off in 4 jobs. ....

Broom Sweeper

View my Photos
jasonsewell

2004-01-21          74662

The local rental shops only rent the hydraulic driven ones, $141 per day, $495 per week.

My Thomas T103 is designed to run 10W30 inthe hydraulic system. All of the local rental shops have implements that are filled with hydraulic fluid. My Bobcat is only a 553 and too small for a 60" sweeper with a collection bucket.

None of these rental shops have a PTO model to rent. I would love to find one used for a bargin. I check eBay and United Rentals web sites often along with others, but no luck.

If these static brooms work as well as everyone says, and there are so much cheaper, I am probably going to go that way. ....

Broom Sweeper

View my Photos
trbomax
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-20          83737

k9fletch, do you still have the broom ? I might be interested in it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login