Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
kubotaguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-10          70727

I hear everyone talking about the hydraulic top link and it seems like it would work pretty well. I don't use a lot of 3 point attachments and my 7800 does not have rear hydraulics. I am trying to figure out how much it would cost to add rear hydraulics and top link to my tractor. Would it be worth it to add them? When I bought the 7800 I didn't see a need for the rear hydraulics, but this little device might come in handy.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
MadRefereee

2003-12-10          70736

Well I just put a 3-spool valve on my B2710 and the total cost was around $500 which included the Prince SV valve, hoses, hydraulic outlet block, and couplers. You should be able to do it for slightly less depending on how many spools you want. You will save a little not needing the hydraulic outlet block but you will add a little needing two longer hoses, one to go to the front outlet block and another to union with the loader's power beyond hose. It's a pretty simple hookup despite what many people will lead you to believe.

The top link cylinder will cost around $200 configured properly with double pilot check valves. You can get this from Carter & Carter for about $175 plus shipping.

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
jarndt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-10          70740

Does anyone make a complete hydraulic top link kit? I asked my Kubota dealer and he said they didn't carry any such thing. I would like to add a hydraulic top link to my BX1500. I can get the manifold block and I am assuming that I can get the right valve and control lever to fit in the opening in the fender, but I'm having trouble finding the actual cylinder with the appropriate ends to accomodate 3/4" pins. ....

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2003-12-10          70754

Is the hydraulic top link really that great? I mean as far as the expense to what it does? I think I may just stick with the old manual screw type top link. ....

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-10          70756

If you do any blading or scraping with the 3ph they are incredibly useful. Heck, I even use mine when bush hogging up or down hills to keep the cutter oriented correctly to the ground. Once you've used a tractor that has it you never want to go back. ....

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-12-10          70761

The hydraulic top link makes a huge differance when boxblading.
Once you try one you will throw the manual screw top link away.
You can tilt the blade ahead for cutting off the high spots and tilt the box back to level in the low areas.All while on the go and never leaving the seat.
I also us mine for mowing heavy brush,I tilt the back of the cutter up ,back into the brush and lower the rear of the cutter down .This way I can mulch up heavy brush areas without scratching all the paint off my tractor.

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-12-11          70804

Jarndt: Your little BX has TTLS. (Tiny top link syndrome)and I don't think there is a hydraulic cylinder out there that is short enough and thin enough to function in the space provided.

BX's use a Cat 0 size top link with Cat 1 holes. The hydraulic top links I have seen are almost too big for my 4115.

If your search is successful, it will be welcome news to a bunch of BX and GC owners out there. ....

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-12-11          70806

MadR..... who is Carter and Carter? A tractor dealer or a hydraulic outfit? ....

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2003-12-11          70810

On the JD2210, the top link is easily accessible for the seat. Just reach around and adjust, it maybe takes 30 seconds for each adjustment, compared to the nearly instant adjustment that you would get with a hydraulic top link.

If you can reach it from the seat, as with may of the sub-CUTs, I can’t see that it would be worth the money. However, if it can’t be adjusted from the seat, I can definitely see the convenience of having a hydraulic top link especially when using a box blade.

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-11          70813

Depends on your property. Our property is very hilly and turning around to adjust the top link every few minutes would get old very fast. Is it time to bring up the advantages of a full Top-N-Tilt kit? ....

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
MadRefereee

2003-12-11          70838

Carter & Carter Machinery.

ccmachinery.com

I think Mark goes by the alias of "Ironpeddler" on this forum. ....

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2003-12-11          70870

$150 for a standard Cat1 hydraulic toplink with the double pilot operated check valve The Hose kit complete with male 1/2" couplers is $30

Thanks Guys,
Mark ....

Link:   Carter & Carter Machinery

Picture Link
Operating and Attachments Hydraulic top link

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-11          70873

If C&C doesn't come up with anything I'd check with a hydraulics shop since they have all the industry catalogues. I'd be surprised if a cylinder that would work couldn't be found. Most any shop could make up a ready-made kit.

Something else for me to learn: I wonder what a double pilot check valve is on a cylinder is?

Best argument for a HTL in my mind is that the box scraper action can be changed from cutting, to dragging to spreading on the fly. I'm never sure how much of an adjustment I need to get the scraper to do what I want it to. I have to be moving so I can see what's happening and I'm not sure if manual adjustments would be feasible even if I could reach the link.

Once this cut, drag and spread buz is mastered grading becomes a dream. I never got the hang of changing a scraper's action with the 3ph. In my mind it just doesn't work very well. Controlling the blade angle is almost everything to getting a scraper to work right. Before the HTL the cut was seldom right and it invariably dumped rather than spread. Lots of frustration in my first few uses. ....

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2003-12-11          70875

Looks like a real nice set-up, but I don't think I use 3ph attachments enough to justify that cost. That is $180 plus whatever else I would need for the rear hydraulic hook-up. Who knows, maybe down the road, I can talk the wife into letting me get one!!! She told me nothing else for the tractor this year. ....

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-12          70909

Ironpeddler's post came through while I was writing and I didn't see it. Look's like C&C already came through.

The post also cleared up my check valve question by adding the word 'operated.' I believe I'd call them 'pilot operated poppet valves.' In this context I think they'd act like automatic lockouts. Near as I can figure since poppets have very low leakage compared to spooling valves in the valve assembly, they'd be good for keeping more constant blade angles over long passes. My top-link doesn't have them and I'd probably adjust the link less often if I had them. There may be other advantages. ....

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
jarndt

2003-12-12          70914

I just checked out the hydraulic top link kit from Carter and Carter. Very nice setup. Believe it or not, I think the shortest version will work well with my BX. It does have TTLS (see Mark's post), but I actually need the ability to lengthen the link to between 20"-22" while blading and retract to about 16" to pick the blade edge up 8"-10" off the ground when the lower links are already at the top of their travel. The link kit cost is reasonable, but as for the valve kit from Kubota... might not be so reasonable. ....

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-12-12          70943

A word of caution before you spend the bucks.

The BX has a very narrow slot for the top link to attach to the tractor. I never found an aftermarket cat 1 top link that would fit in the BX slot.

My calibrated eyeball says the hydraulic link in the picture link is too big. Might want to do some measuring first. ....

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-13          71029

Mark: I remember you saying that early on and I hope everybody else does as well. It might take some searching but something should turn up. Some cylinders have replaceable ends so you'd think that something would be available but some custom work might be needed.

I'm not sure if anybody has given thought to an appropriate cylinder diameter. I'm not sure if it's an issue but larger ones might have potential for breaking a light 3ph. It would be under rare circumstances though such as an implement held down by something. On the other hand, too small a cylinder may move faster than an operator would like. ....

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
earthwrks

2003-12-14          71160

I made my hyd. top link from a 2" x 8" hydraulic cylinder from TSC. I cut off both clevises and welded a replacement ball-and-socket from TSC on each end. My 33D has rear hydraulics which I connected to the cylinder. This is great for box scraping. But when I use the power angle on my York rake or preparator (power rake) I can disconnect the top link hoses and manually adjust the toplink on-the-fly via a ball valve plumbed in the middle of the top and bottom ports which allows fluid to circulate (and the piston to move). Closing the valve stops piston travel in and out. Pretty cool. Sorry no photos.

I have seen simple hydraulic top links on e-bay for about $100. ....

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-15          71192

That's a clever trick and I seem to recall mention of it or something similar in discussion some years ago. If I have my stories straight, the two sides of the top-link cylinder are connected together through a valve. When the blade is on the ground its angle can be changed by opening the valve and moving the tractor a bit forward or backward.

If that's the idea, I think that opening the valve when going forward would shorten the link to increase the cutting action of a scraper so it wouldn't work for changing from cutting to dragging on the fly. However, stopping and backing up a bit seems much easier than hopping off the tractor every time an adjustment is needed. Besides, I don't have a toolbox on the tractor and would have to figure some place to keep a hammer and link adjuster. That's a real good and cheap idea for people without rear hydraulics I think. ....

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
Cub104129

2003-12-15          71283

I added a top link to my compact tractor. It works great for the snowblower and for the wood chipper. My drive is gravel so I start the season with the blower tilted up and as the snow packs and freezes I tilt to be more aggressive.
As for the chipping the bush is never the same pitch and the chipper needs to be level. It also helps to clear the ground when moving over hills as I can tilt it up high.

I used a cyl. From TSC and welded a turn buckle eye to the end of the shaft. I think the cyl was 8" by 2"

As others have posted I would not be without one now however the first cost to set up is high. It helps if you can do it yourself.

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
earthwrks

2003-12-16          71383

Yes TomG it does shorten the top link going forward if you desire. At least with my NH 33D when scraping dry hard-packed clay you really don't want to engage or scrape too much. If you tip the scraper backward too much and try to drive backward you get a jacking action when the scrpaer digs in and raises the rear wheels. But keep the scraper tipped backward, drop it slightly, and go forward it tends to smooth out the dirt very nicely. If the ball valve is not fully closed it tends to act like a "shock absorber" which allows the scraper to follow the ground contours as if the top link isn't connected. ....

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2003-12-20          71760

A new shipment hydraulic toplinks is to arrive today 12-20-03 at the port. We hope to have them through customs and on the way to customers. There is a good supply but if the US $ does not get any stronger we are faced with either raising prices or going to a non-European country for production. Please contact us if you have a toplink on order because we are changing computer systems and we could make a mistake and miss an order. ....

Picture Link

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2004-01-27          75263

Thanks for your patience. Due to US Customs backlogs we are due to receive our shipment of Hydraulic toplinks Friday Jan 30,04 ....

Link:   Carter & Carter Machinery

Picture Link

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-01-28          75287

Ironpeddler: Do you also stock the control valves to run the top-link?
If so, what would the package cost? ....

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-28          75288

Any hydraulics shop will 'custom' make a cylinder for a nominal fee. You want a 'plain end' cylinder with a 'male tang' on the cylinder base and rod end. If you want to get really fancy you can buy replacement lift arm ends with the swivel ball joint end for about $10 each at TSC, etc., and have them welded on instead of the'male tangs'.

We do them all the time, they cost about $200 each. Valve if required is another $100 depending on type and hoses maybe another $20 again depending on type, length & connections.

Best of luck.

Hydraulic top link

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2004-02-08          76385

Check Bailey Sales or Surplus Center they will have one that will work for you. ....

Link:   Bailer Sales

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login