Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cat 1 top link - shorter than 12 quot

View my Photos
44trxfun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-18          69038

Are there Cat 1 top links shorter than 12" (body/barrell only)? You might recall I was trying to shorten it to pull my backblade up a bit for snow clearing before the ground freezes. I have a 12" top link and it doesn't shorten enough to do the trick. (I'm still looking into skid shoes for it Mark.) Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-18          69039

Yes. Mark posted some info on it under the BX-22 as it needs a shorter link. Search for it. ....

View my Photos
44trxfun

2003-11-18          69042

Thanks Peters; I searched. Turns out Mark and others found the BX top link is (was?) an inch or two longer than needed. MF GC2300 is almost a carbon of the BX. Mark, if you're still willing to part with your short toplink, let me know what you want for it. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-18          69050

Turns out here are two types of top links, Kubota uses one that has Cat 0 dimensions with Cat 1 holes.

I have one I can sell that is a true Cat 1 and has a 9 inch body and a 13.5 inch center to center length when at its shortest. It is identical to the dimensions of the top link that came with my 4115 with the exception of length.

Where it differs from the Kubota version is that the slot it fits onto on the tractor must have a width at least 1.75 inches, Kubotas are 1.5 inches if memory serves.

Do some measuring and let me know. I need $35.00, which includes shipping. ....

View my Photos
44trxfun

2003-11-19          69094

Well, thanks for the offer Mark. Unfortunately, the slot on the MF is 1 5/8" - a little bigger than the Kub, but apparently not big enough to accomodate your custom link. Bummer! I guess I'll have to go the Kub route... ....

View my Photos
Blueman

2003-11-19          69096

When I had my Cub Cadet Super garden tractor (sorely missed), the Cat 0 link was too long for some implements...I was able to cut off about an inch off each end, and still had enough threads inside... ....

View my Photos
44trxfun

2003-11-19          69098

I just called the dealer. He's sending over a 7" Cat 1 top link. He said it's not Kub and it's manufactured to work with Cat 1 pins. He doesn't want payment until I know it works for me. I'm glad I listened to you guys about going with a dealer I could work with. Sure makes a biiiigggg difference! ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-19          69099

I checked the archives, the link that came with my BX had a 10.5 inch body and a 13.5 inch minimum reach.

A temporary solution I have used is to get a Cat 0 link and attach it to the tractor with a 5/8's bolt and bushings.

Usually the bushings are used to adapt a Cat 1 link to a Cat 0 hole but you can use the bushings to reduce the holes in the tractor mountings from 3/4 to 5/8 and use a properly sized 5/8's bolt to hold it all together.

You can probably put the whole package together for $25.00

I have also cut some of the threaded portion off the body to reduce the length, just be careful not to cut too much.

The best permanent solution is to take your present top link and cut 2 inches out of the middle and weld it back together. Then cut an inch off each male thread and reassemble.

I have never seen a tool that required the absolute full extension of a properly sized top link anyway. All my stuff levels out within a 1.5-2.0 inch range on the top link.

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-19          69100

Looks like we were posting at the same time.

Let me know if the new short link fits. ....

View my Photos
44trxfun

2003-11-21          69309

Well heck, the ball joints on the 7" top link are maybe 1/8" too big to fit the slot on the tractor. What do you think the chances are that a machine shop c/would grind one of the ball joints down to fit? Short of that, I'd probably try pursuing your suggestion Mark of using a Cat 0 with the 5/8" bolt & bushings. Are bushings commonly available at a hardware store? Thanks for the suggestion! ....

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-22          69334

If I understand the problem, a solution might be to grind a 1/16" off each end of the pin sleeve in the ball joint. That might be feasible but if any of the parts are hardened alloy steel then they have to be cooled during grinding to preserve the temper. There would be a chance that that the tight clearances wouldn't be enough to allow normal side play of an implement. If you try that route it would be a good thing to check.

My hydraulic top-link has CAT II loops. Sleeves to size my CAT I pins to CAT II loops were dealer stock items. I imagine many dealers would have CAT 0 to CAT I loop sleeves as well. ....

View my Photos
44trxfun

2003-11-22          69338

Thanks Tom; I'll keep pursuing this. On the bright side, I only need one sleeve taken down. The attachment to the implement is no problem; it's just slightly too big to attach to the tractor. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-22          69342

Do you have access to a belt sander? I think you could shave off the extra metal pretty easily. You would just have to make sure it stayed square to the griding surface.

Even putting it in a bench vice and dressing it down with a large mill file would work.

The bushings should be available wherever top link and pins are sold. ....

View my Photos
44trxfun

2003-11-23          69391

Thanks all. Got it taken care of yesterday. Still waitin' on snow here in western NY, but at least now I'm ready for it... ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-23          69393

Ok, not fair! How did you fix it? Did the grinding work? ....

View my Photos
44trxfun

2003-11-23          69394

Yeah Mark, the shop just ground one pin sleeve enough so it would fit on the tractor. Now I can get the blade correctly leveled, or even pulled up a bit if necessary. Thanks for your assistance! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login