Go Bottom Go Bottom

Grading

View my Photos
quincy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-21          62356

With a jd2210 (23hp) what is the best 3pt attachment to do some minor grading,rocks removal,and final soil prep for grass, york rake?,or box scraper? I really would like to buy one.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Grading

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-21          62357

box scrapers are great grading tools. ....

Grading

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-21          62368

Box scrapers make great ballast when you are using your FEL. Your tractor can easily run a 48 inch and even a 54 inch box. Get a good heavy one, at least 400 pounds. ....

Grading

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-21          62392

YOu can move dirt from place to place with a loader, you can level with a blade or rake but what you are leveling tells you which you need. ....

Grading

View my Photos
TomG

2003-08-22          62417

Box scrapers are sort of the Swiss Army Knives of landscaping implements. They'll do almost every job but almost always some other implement will be better for a specific. It does depend on the size of rocks though. A fancy rear blade with end-plates will do everything a box will do and then some, but they are expensive.

I don't have enough on-going landscaping work to justify several implements so a box was my choice. However I did discover the middle of the first summer I had it that it wasn't too useful until I got a hydraulic top-link. I already had a rear hydraulic outlet and it would have run up the cost a lot to install one. If you get a box, in general the heavier it is the better. Light ones, or blades for that matter, don't cut hard ground very well.

Grading

View my Photos
quincy

2003-08-22          62418

Hey thanks for the replies, that answers the questions I had on which impliment. I know my jd dealer sells a box scraper, I would think there is a better one for my buck, any brands, I am new to this market place. ....

Grading

View my Photos
plots1

2003-08-22          62426

JD sells the frontier , It's pretty heavy duty. ....

Grading

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2003-08-22          62429

I thought a box blade would be the ticket for my grading needs, however, with the JD2210 I find it difficult to control for fine work. I have a Frontier BB1048 and use it mostly for pulling rock around the driveway, and “rough work” in the dirt. I use the FEL for fine leveling. Just drop the bucket and drag backwards, works great. You may want to look at the tread entitled “Implement Price check for 2210” for more insights. ....

Grading

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-08-22          62435

The 2210, along with a host of small tractors these days, does not offer a position control on the 3 point hitch. This does make it difficult to use a box blade as it does require quite a bit of fiddling.

My solution to that was to add wheels to the box scraper and pull it like a trailer from the three point hitch.

It is much easier to use and functions like a baby road grader. ....

Grading

View my Photos
TomG

2003-08-23          62512

I think Mark posted pics of his box scraper before and it looks like a good rig. I think he does have a hydraulic top-link. I don't have gauge wheels for my scraper but I do have a hydraulic top-link. I've said before that I seldom touch my 3ph when using scraper but control the action almost entirely with a hydraulic top-link. Once I got the hang of it, it works fine for what I do, although gauge wheels might make some things a little easier.

I do some final smoothing by back-dragging with the loader bucket as well as some compacting by holding down-pressure with the bucket flatter. I also use the box scraper with the top-link fully extended for fine grading and compacting. I usually do some of each on most jobs and I've never been certain why or when I choose one or the other.

Grading is something of an art and it takes a bit of time to develop the eye and feel for it, which may be more important than the particular implement used. No matter what is used most people come to be able to get pretty good results. I never got the hang of grading with a loader or controlling a box scraper with the 3ph, but maybe I just didn't stick with it long enough. I should add that grading to me often means making or maintaining an area to a fairly specific angle and not only smoothing out drives or yards. Shooting grades is a definite art.

Grading

View my Photos
plots1

2003-08-23          62514

AS Tom stated it's an art, I found I made more of a mess the first few times trying to grade. I'm gettin better each time though.not haveing hyd top link is a *&*&^&**. must dismount tractor many times to complete job. ....

Grading

View my Photos
Stan in Calif

2003-08-23          62558

You gotta have a box scraper. For really fine work, something with wheels on the back, like a landscape rake or blade with gauge wheels, or a drag scraper, is better, but even if you had all these, you would still have have need for a box scraper. ....

Grading

View my Photos
TomG

2003-08-24          62565

Stan's is my sense too. A more expensive alternative is a heavy blade with all the swings, scarifiers and offset (preferably with some hydraulics) plus end-plates. Such a blade will do everything a scraper will do plus ditching but it is a lot more expensive than a good scraper. I couldn't justify the cost for the work I have.

I am able to cut side-grades such as road crowns by using the 3ph side-leveler and holding the box up with the 3ph so only one end cuts until a new angle is cut the entire width of the scraper. I'm pretty sure a blade would do it much easier.

Scraper options such as hydraulic scarifiers and roll-over also are expensive but few owners except landscapers would use them much. The choice between fixed or swinging rear cutter is a realistic one to make. A swinging cutter allows a wider range of attack angles for the front cutter and most everything about getting a scraper to work well has to do with getting the right cutter angle. A swinging cutter smoothes a little better than a fixed one and can make deeper cuts. My fixed rear cutter box works OK for me and might be better for compacting. The depth I can cut with a fixed cutter fills up the box pretty fast anyway but a swinging one might be better for making shallow excavations.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login