Go Bottom Go Bottom

Post Hole Digger Impliment Stand

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-06          56913

I have a Land Pride PD25 post hole digger that is akin to wrestling an alligator to hook up to my tractor and work on. It sure would make things ALOT easier and safer if it were mounted on a frame or equipment support stand when not used so I can just back up to it with my tractor and hook up. Have any of you tackled this problem and if so what did you make or use to mount it? Some pictures would be great! Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-07          57010

I think there may be some pictures somewhere in the archives. I forget who it was that constructed something similar to an engine hoist for a PHA. It also was on wheels so it could be moved around the shed. Some people simply chain them to a heavy tree limb.

It's by far the most awkward of my implements to manage and I've got to come up with better storage for mine. There's also a real risk of mashing a hand or something in the folding arms when wrestling with them.

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-07          57014

I use an engine (cherry picker) hoist to move that kind of thing around now. I recall the last time I attached mine, it was stored on my trailer prior to the barn being built. I lifted it out with the loader and wrestled with it for quite some time. It now sits on blocks in the corner of my barn, but I have an old four wheeled outboard engine stand I have been eyeballing for possible conversion. ....

View my Photos
JFarms

2003-06-08          57121

The PHD is the most difficult to manage, and few easy solutions. When stored, mine is chained to a corner of the barn, and hanging from a stand I built. When hooking it up, I use a hand winch to raise or lower it. Still a pain, but now its done safely and no problems. Many owners eventually build customized racks, stand, or frames to hold them. The one that's best is the one that works for you. I saw one for sale on Ebay once, and I'm sure there are more on the net. ....

View my Photos
moosefishing

2003-06-09          57149

I've got a home made stand, or I can get you a "store bought" one. I can send you some pictures if you want, or I can sell you what I've got. I'm located in north Texas. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-09          57155

moosefishing, pictures would be great! If you could post or send them, would be MUCH appreciated. Would love to get some ideas for fabrication. How much are the store bought stands? Thanks. ....

View my Photos
pekabu

2003-06-09          57167

Just saw this pic at the Landpride site.

http://www.landpride.com/lp/products/pd15_specs.html ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-09          57170

pekabu, thanks for the link! That stand is a great idea. Looks pretty simple to make as well. I have not seen this pic before. The Land Pride site did not show it with the PD25. I'll give them a call. I emailed them last week but have not gotten back a reply yet. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-06-09          57177

The Land Pride stand is a DISPLAY stand not a STORAGE stand, there's a world of difference.

For a PHD parking/storage stand you want something that forms a cradle for the gearbox as the first point of contact. A design which allows you to lower the gearbox & auger into a combined cradle taking all the weight except the boom & driveshaft is the easiest for putting on & taking off the PHD.

In the design shown on the Land Pride site you would have to balance the PHD vertically on the tip of the auger while you disconnected it from the 3pth and hooked it to the stand. Doesn't sound very fun or easy to me.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-09          57182

I just got an email reply from what I guess is Land Pride. "we do offer a storage stand for the post hole diggers. This can be purchased from your local dealer and have it delivered.
The part number is 317-142a" I will call my parts contact at the John Deere dealer and see what the story is. Thanks for the heads up Murph. ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-09          57244

Chief -

What I did for my PHD, was I dug a hole into the ground where I wanted to store the thing slightly deeper than the auger length. Set three open ended 5 gallon pails together, or a piece of corrugate drainage tubing will do also, and set them into the dug hole, flush with the ground. I then poured a small amount of cement around the pails for added rigidity. On top, I leveled the cement and let cure. After it was cured, I took two pieces of PT 2x6, and cut a 3" half moon in each. When you apply both half moons together, you end up with a true hole the size of the auger shank.

As you back into position to unload, simply lower the PHD down into the hole, just far enough to locate and set the 2x6 pieces around the shank of the auger below the gear box, then lower the rest of the way. Once lowered, your PHD is now sitting on the 2x6 boards, and is at a very comfortable, stable working height to detach or attach.

I dug down deeper, to allow extra water drainage for the wet season...works great and is a dream to connect and disconnect by comparison to a "stand". This way, Mother Nature is holding it for you and one does not have to worry that it will fall over on oneself. Depending on the auger size, either a bigger or smaller tube needs to be used for proper dimensioning.

Willie H. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-12          57407

Check my pics for my version of how to store a PHD.

It is ugly, low tech and cheap, but it works.

First you hook up the boom, then you attach the drive shaft and then you remove the tension strap from the auger and drive away. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-12          57413

Mark, you know....... why didn't I think of that??? That is an excellent idea! Low tech but works well? Low cost! Do you tie the digger to the hand truck so you can attach it to the 3 pt. hitch by yourself? I will give your suggestion a try! Thanks for the tip! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-12          57415

Just in case anyone else was interested; I found a picture of something I was thinking about. Just need to get plans and measurements. Looks like a very good idea!

Well........ new story. I tried to post the picture and it appears that since it is on "another tractor web site" this site blocks posting it. If anyone is interested in the pictures, email me and I will be glad to email them to you.

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-12          57417

If you look closely you can see a tension strap about midway down the auger. It is the last thing you remove and the first thing you attach when it comes off the tractor. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-12          57421

I have posted the pics Chief was trying to link to, check pic #5.

My cheap and dirty stand is on pic #1 ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-12          57422

Mark -
Help me out here...All I keep seeing are the shots of the air show. What do I need to do to see the PHD pic?

Chief -
Are you able to grab this pic by right clicking and copying(cntrl c), then pasting it (cntrl v) to the site?

Willie H. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-12          57423

Did all that and the site blocks the picture as advertising. Mark posted the pics as #5. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-12          57424

Mark, thank you very much for posting the pictures for me. Figured some of the folks here who are welders could benefit. By the way, is that a Land Pride PHD in your pictures? For the time being, I am going to try your "cheap and dirty" method. ;o) ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-12          57425

Willie, your computer may be reverting to stored temporary files. Pull up the Pics again and click the refresh button on your tool bar.

Chief, I have a Gearmore labeled PHD, not sure who made it for them. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-12          57426

Looked like the same color and similar to mine. ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-12          57439

Mark -
Thanks for the tip. As luck would have it, this evening when I fired up the computer, the pics were active. Go figure. Interesting idea, for sure with the handtruck...can't get a heck of a lot more 'down & dirty' than that. Got to try that with mine.

I have a Leinbach PHD. I noticed the hoop bar for the lifting arms on yours is mounted below the top link tube, whereas on mine it is above. Anybody see a benefit one way or the other? Just curious. It works great anyway!

The welded frame would work well also for storage, only thing is...I'm not usually in a place where a flat rollable floor surface is available.
Thanks for the pics.

Willie H. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-12          57441

Yup. It was that flat floor surface problem that lead me to the hand truck. It goes "off road" pretty well. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-01          58690

I have found a really good simple PHD storage stand but I can't post the pictures because they are on the "OTHER" tractor board. I figured I would share them with you guys because it looks fairly simple to build and sturdy.

Mark Hunstiger.............. think you could help me out with this again? I can send you the pics. If you are interested, let me know and I can work something out with Mark and get them posted. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-01          58692

Sure. Fire away. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login