Go Bottom Go Bottom

Implement for weed control removal

View my Photos
Harold_D
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-24          51764

I have ~2 acres of weeds on desert soil (Phoenix, AZ). I have a Kubota 2710 w/loader. What implement would be best for weed removal? These weeds are ~1 ft high right now (recent, rare rain).

I've tried a box scraper with only marginal success - it requires multiple passes and careful attention not to skip over the top or cut too deep. Scraping with the loader works, but time consuming and can easily cut too deep.

Thanks in advance. You all have been very helpful with prior "newbie" questions!!!

--Harold

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kay

2003-03-24          51768

Can you use a rotary cutter and mow them off? ....

View my Photos
Stan in Calif

2003-03-24          51785

You might take a look at an s-tine cultivator for this. If the weeds are already a foot high, it's probably too late, but is something to consider in the future, or after mowing. ....

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-24          51787

Spray em with Roundup? Burn em? ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-03-25          51802

Harold, Billy has your answer. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-25          51814

I live in the NM desert and except for the heat, it is similar to the AZ side. I use Round-up with great success. If you have wide areas, a tractor mounted sprayer works well, but I choose to be more specific. I use a two or four gallon backpack sprayer and walk the property to spot spray just the troublesome weeds. That way I can kill the tumbleweeds and broadleafs without killing the needle sage and cactus. Round-up kills all plant life, but does not last in the soil, so it will not continue killing after its initial application. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-03-25          51836

Based on what has been said so far my vote goes for the Monsanto solution, Roundup, the less you disturb semi-arid soil the better. Besides with uneven terrain any kind of cutting is very difficult to get right or do easily. If you have a four-wheeler they make a nifty little spot-sprayer that runs a 12v. electric spray pump off the battery, you just cruise around with the sprayer in your lap and nuke the weeds as you get to them. It works well AND it's fun, how much better does it get than that?

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Harold_D

2003-03-25          51859

Thanks all for your suggestions! I had previously discounted Roundup due to cost and potential lasting effects.

Anybody have suggestions for where to get it in bulk/cheap?

Thanks! ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-03-25          51863

Harold, there are no lasting effects from Roundup. It is strictly a contact killer moving systemicly from the leaves thru the rest of the plant to the root. The treated plant is technicly dead within hours altho it will remain green for several days and no further growth will occur, a few days it will dry up ready to burn. Go to a farm supply store where they sell seed, fertilizer, chemicals, etc. I think most places of that type will have it in bulk or in jugs lots cheaper than a garden center type outlet. There are now also generic brands of roundup that cost less and seem to work just as well. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-03-25          51871

Harold,

I buy Round-up in a 2 1/2 gallon jug at a farmer's co op. The last I bought, last year, was $125. That's a whole lot cheaper than you can get it at Wal-Mart or other discount stores.

Billy ....

View my Photos
Stan in Calif

2003-03-25          51874

Chemicals are actually the least expensive way to deal with weeds, if you factor in labor and wear and tear on machinery. The ones to watch out for are the pre-emergents. These remain intact in the soil for some time. Roundup is a post-emergent. ....

View my Photos
kay

2003-03-25          51881

Roundup is sold in concentrate (mix with water) and also "ready-to-use". I have found the "ready-to-use" to be almost worthless. But the concentrate is also not all the same. Some take more and some less when mixed with water. I suggest the "farm store" concentrate in the 2 1/2 gal jug. ....

View my Photos
ChrisW

2003-03-26          51926

If you decide not to use chemicals, try a TR3 rake. I am going to rent one in a week or so from my local remtal store. They have a video and it looks to do a great job.

ChrisW ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-03-26          51940

Ssomeone makes an obscene markup on the "ready to use", if you'll take time to read the label listing the active ingredients you'll find that about all your buying is a squirt bottle of water, with a tiny bit of concentrate in it. ....

View my Photos
X595

2003-03-27          51959

I agree, the local Menards, Home Depot, Fleet Farm stores make a ton of money selling those little bottles of Ready to Use Roundup where the purchaser is buying mostly water. But that is the core business for those stores. Sure, some folks buy kitchen cabinets, sizable lumber purchases, Plumbing supplies,etc, but the biggest share of their business is the city dweller who has nothing to do on a Sunday morning but to drive to Home Depot and buy something. They could care less that the $10 bottle of Roundup will last about 4 minutes spraying weeds around the sidewalk. THey've got money to spend and too much time. I buy Roundup in the Superconcentrate formula in 2 1/2 gallon containers for the same price that has been mentioned in the previous posts. The Sunday morning Home Depot folks are actually quite fun to watch. They arrive in the parking lot in their $40,000 SUV so they can take home their 3 2x4s and a box of wood screws. They actually make a morning out of it. I guess you can't blame them. If I lived in the city I'd be looking for reason to get out of the house as well. ....

View my Photos
brian-zl1thf

2003-03-27          52019

Harold Roundup is pricey. You may find somewhere that retails Glyphosate. This is the active component in Roundup. In NZ we buy roundup at US$15 per litre & plane jane Glyphosate at US$8 per litre. Worth a try.ttfn brian ....

View my Photos
Maynard

2003-05-28          55839

I have 5 hilly and very rocky acres. The only way I can control the weeds is to use Roundup. But I have to spray after each rain fall because the weeds return. I'm thinking of either fabricating or buying a tooth bar to mount on the loader and try to pick most of the rocks so I can use the box blade to control the weeds. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-01          56199

Round Up Ultra and spray away. If the terrain is too rough or rocky for a tractor. Stihl makes a great backpack sprayer. SR 420. I have one and it can shoot a column of fine mist 40 ft. Does a good job and doubles as a leaf blower too. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login