Go Bottom Go Bottom

Adjusting slip clutch on 4200

View my Photos
jgadair
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-07-13          30046

I just got a 513 cutter and have been told I need to adjust the slip clutch after the first use. Had anyone had that experience? Also, I get differing reports on whether the rear wheel be running on the ground during normal use. Any help?Thanks, Jeff

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
John Miller, III

2001-07-13          30047

Jeff, are you sure you have a "slip clutch" attached to that 513 cutter. Most light duty units only use a "shear pin" instead. ....

View my Photos
jgadair

2001-07-13          30048

Yes, I definitely got the slip clutch. Some folks advised that was a better option than the shear pin...we'll see. ....

View my Photos
jgadair

2001-07-13          30058

Yes, I definitely got the slip clutch. Some folks advised that was a better option than the shear pin...we'll see. ....

View my Photos
kay

2001-07-14          30062

Sure is a better option (if you ever have experienced a sheared shear pin, and not had a spare to stick back in, and had to get the old pin out, and fight the heat and the dust to install the new one without a wrench to tighten it properly). The manual should tell you how to adjust it. My recollection is you back off the four adjustment bolts to where you can easily slip the clutch, then tighten them a prescribed amount (number of turns or by measurement) such that the slip clutch doesn't slip in heavy mowing, but will if you land on a rock or stump. Sometimes the clutch will slip a bit when you engage the PTO. Ask the dealer for help if you don't have the information you need. On my 513, I added (welded) a square tube to the lower rear edge of the deck for strength, because with the single wheel, when backing up, sometimes the deck would catch and bend. Now it rides up or plows its way through. And, per a different thread here, I always mow with the rear wheel on the ground, and the top link loose, adjusting the front height of the mower deck with the 3pt arms. The only time I might lift that wheel up is when backing into heavy brush, and dropping the deck into the brush to chop it up. I also lift it to go over objects I don't want to mow off, such as stumps or rocks. Works great. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-07-14          30067

In addition to Kay's comments, I've heard that slip clutches should not be allowed to rust and the friction parts should not be greased. ....

View my Photos
John Miller, III

2001-07-14          30073

I always "slip" my slip-clutches @ the beginning of every season, in spring. It will set all winter and corrosion will bind it up making it useless until you free it up. Depending on what type of slip clutch you have:{Have the unit hooked up to the tractor PTO shaft w/intended implement to use, and the tractor shut down while making all adjustments} Type 1 - If you can see the clutch discs from the side of unit, take a magic marker and mark a line across the discs. Then back off each nut {on the spring load} 2 turns. Stay consistent with your reference points, go to the next nut and do the same, rotating the clutch until all nuts are backed off} Now start the tractor, bring rpm's up around 1600-2000 rpm, engage the PTO {don't feather or baby it, you need the shock for function} for 3-5 seconds, disengage PTO, let unit slow to a stop and repeat 3 to 4 more times. Now shut the PTO off, and tractor down. Inspect your mark across the plates to make sure the discs have slipped {the line should be offset across the plates now} If the line/plates have moved {meaning you have "slipped" the clutch plates}, now tighten/turn the nuts back 2 turns to the original position. If the plates have not moved/slipped, then back off all nuts 1 more full turn and start the PTO shock treatment again. Keep track of your backing off # of turns, you will need to tighten this same number when complete. Type II - slip-clutch is the type that you can't see the clutch plates, they are hidden under the housing, this type you start off backing the nuts 3 turns and the rest of the above applies, except you can't test it until you’re out in the field. In heavy bush, you'll distinctly "hear" the clutch slip, that just means it’s working. Normally if you see a clutch "smoke,” means clutch plates were stuck, doesn't necessary mean you ruined anything. For double insurance, you can also put a "shear-pin" in line with the slip-clutch and PTO drive shaft. Rule of thumb is Grade 2 bolt for <45 PTO hp tractors, and Grade 5 bolt for >50 PTO hp. ....

View my Photos
kay

2001-07-14          30078

John adds a lot of good info (I have heard that some Mfg's recommend storing the units over a period of time with a wedge of some kind holding the clutch open so it cannot freeze up - or rust). I do wonder if the strength of the gearbox on the rotary cutter should determine the strength of the shear pins used, not the HP of the tractor. The 513 rotary cutter isn't priced or meant to be a heavy duty machine (go for the MX5 for heavier duty), and putting a 50+ HP tractor on it shouldn't mean a shear pin that shears off at a higher load. Or is there something I am missing? ....

View my Photos
John Miller, III

2001-07-14          30082

Hello Kay. First, I’m assuming others will use some common sense and also to apply good judgement. If the implement has a 40 HP gearbox, you would use a Grade 2 bolt, even if you have a 50 PTO HP tractor. On the same token, I don’t believe anyone with a 70 PTO HP tractor would use a 513 rotary cutter. Normally you match the implement to the tractor. I provided this information as a guideline. Nothing is etched in concrete. The manufacturers/owners manual should have precedence over all else ....

View my Photos
kay

2001-07-14          30083

Makes good sense to me. Thanks ....

View my Photos
jgadair

2001-07-14          30086

Thanks for all the input. It sounds like the adjustment to the slip clutch is really a "preseason" kind of thing to free up after an extended period of non-use, as oppsoed to some kind of initial adjustment that needs to be done.

The dealer also adjusted the cutter so it doesn't raise very high. When mowing a pretty rank pasture I had the 3 pt all the way up and it cut about 10 inches above ground. Does this sound correct? ....

View my Photos
kay

2001-07-15          30089

Check to see if the dealer set the 513 up with the lift pins in the top holes, as they should be in the bottom. Mine came setup in the wrong holes for the size tractor I have, and I also could not get enough lift off the ground. The rear wheel lift height is controlled by the length of the top arm. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login