Go Bottom Go Bottom

hoses

View my Photos
david swann
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-04-18          26882

Had an interesting talk with my JD dealer today. They are no stocking hoses for my material collection system its 3 yrs old and is still a std production item. These are hydro hoses that can be made elsewhere however they have a bend in the metal part that may be hard to duplicate. Isn't this odd that you can't get parts for something that is in productionDavid

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

hoses

View my Photos
Norm

2001-04-19          26919

I can't answer your question re. hoses, but maybe you (or someone) can answer a question for me. I have MCS also and it occasionally gets itself into a state where one side doesn't operate properly. After dumping, while retracting, the unit pulls to one side, the other quite obviously hanging up some how. Once all the way down, the cylinders won't retract enough to latch the cover. Up and down a few times and it will start working again. Sometimes this happens once sometimes it's relentless (and a real pain!!). The unit is well cared for, always in a shed for storage, the slides are in excellent shape - polished and well lubed. Additional lubrication on the slides when this is happening does not change the situation. Anybody have any ideas? ....

hoses

View my Photos
Mark E. Lamprey

2001-04-19          26925

David & Norm, I have no answers for either one of you because I have absolutely no idea what a Materials Collection System is. So rather then answer your questions, I will ask one. What the heck is an MCS and what does it do and how does it work ? Mark ....

hoses

View my Photos
Norm

2001-04-19          26927

Generally, they are any kind of system that catches the discharge from your mowing deck. Specifically, the one I have and, I am assuming David too, is one that 1) attaches on the 3ph, 2) has a small gas engine blower to force the discharge of the mower up into the collector, 3) has a big plasic box (~13 cu ft) that is the actual collection container, 4) has hydraulics to raise the collector up and dump for loading onto a truck, onto a big pile, into bins, etc. They are extraordinarily useful for fall clean up - I haven't raked leaves in years except for around the shrubs. ....

hoses

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-04-19          26928

Mark, the MCS is a JD option for the 4100-4400 tractors that catches clippings that come from the belly mower (designed for the 46, 50, and 60 inch mowers). It mounts on the 3-pt hitch and uses a separate 6 hp Kawasaki gas engine to power the blower. There are 2 versions. The manual version has 3 hopper bags and holds about 10 bushels all together. The hydraulic dump version has a single 13 bushel hopper that can be dumped without leaving the operator's seat. ....

hoses

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-04-19          26929

Sorry for the duplicate info Norm, you must type faster than I do. ....

hoses

View my Photos
Mark E. Lamprey

2001-04-19          26931

Thanks guys for the explanation. Sounds like the ultimate in lawn mower bagging systems. Tim the Tool Man Taylor would be proud of you guys. . I can sure see where the system has it's advantages, especially the hydraulic one. Mark ....

hoses

View my Photos
Dave Wells

2001-04-19          26940

David & Norm, I have traded my manual bagger for the hydraulic dump unit, and I hope to get it and install it this week on my 4100Hydro. My dealer is completely unfamiliar with the unit, but I'm pretty capable at building/assembling/etc. so I'm not too worried - I assembled and installed all the other options I have. I'm curious, though - a pic I saw shows the MCS hyd. lines hooked to the FEL quick-connects, so you can use the dual-SCV joystick to control it. Okay, means you can't have the FEL on when using the MCS, which isn't a problem, since I always take the FEL off when mowing anyway. I'd also heard somewhere else that a auxiliary hydraulic kit is installed, so you can hook the MCS lines up at the back. Apparently the Aux. Hydraulic connectors are just extensions of the FEL connectors - you hook up the MCS lines in place of a bypass hose, which then allows the SCV Joystick to control it. It appears to me that either method would work. Which setup do you have? Any suggestions as to one being preferable to the other? Thanks in advance - Dave Wells ....

hoses

View my Photos
Norm

2001-04-19          26941

I just route the hoses over the fender and connect to the FEL ports. It works fine - a little fiddling to find the optimum path that doesn't interfere with things (and you) the first time. You may find you need front weight - especially if you are picking up grass clippings which start to get heavy. In use, it works great (except for the problem I mentioned) just be careful that it sticks out quite far in the back which makes it easy to clip a tree or the house as you round corners. One good wack and you could easily bend the frame. ....

hoses

View my Photos
david swann

2001-04-20          26957

David

You are right the hoses do hook up to the fel connections. An update today from JD is that they are discontuing the rear attachment and the hose number was the one to attach it to the rear disconnect. What they are supplying now is 20 feet of hose and all fittings so the dealer can make up the hoses There are 3 in combo.My dealer who is an AG dealer says they do this after the models get older.

The MCS works great except for the power pak I have gone through 2 KAWAS. and have just switched to a Honda. JD has also switched to Honda so you will be getting a 5.5 HP Honda Split case engine. I have just ordered a 5.5 with electric start (lazy) and cyclone air filtration as an option to replace my latest KAWA. It has a hole the size of a tin can in the side(and part of a piston is sticking out.

Make sure you don't back into anything like trees for it will bend the rails and the system gets real cranky. Make sure you have a friend to help stedy things when you put it together-- it really helps. I have complete parts manuals on the MCS and Have had it apart many times so If you need any help just E-Mail me at davidswann@home.com

David S ....

hoses

View my Photos
david swann

2001-04-20          26958

Norm'

I think I have your answer it is one of three things:
1. low hydro fluid (this usually makes the side closest to engine drag.
2. check the catch which grabs on the back bar it has two notches
that catch the two studs sticking out of the hydro tubes. they
get slightly bent.
3. this is the most likely problem LOOK at the two guide pipes in the
back. You may find that one is slightly bent. I mean just a little bit
and it will cause the thing to drag. Its happened to me twice and a
new pipe has fixed it every time the part # is M86886 its the same for
both sides and costs about 130.00 each. 1.5 hr job to change with
one person-- 20 min with two

David ....

hoses

View my Photos
Norm

2001-04-20          26966

David - thanks for the info, I thought it might have been a bent rod not thinking that a slight bend in the guide pipe could also do it. When I get ambitious, I will reverse the guide pipes side to side and see if the problem moves with the guide. ....

hoses

View my Photos
Dave Wells

2001-04-20          26979

Norm & Dave, thanks for your responses - I thought just hooking it to the FEL QC's would be the easiest way to go. Both my wife and I use the tractor to cut grass, and we have several trees to get around, so we both found out quickly about watching the backswing! My unit came with the Honda engine also, which seems to be a pretty good engine - starts easily, runs well, the only complaint I can think of is it being hard to change the little air filter on the 5.5 hp. Dave, I'd looked for an electric starter for the Honda engine, but couldn't find one. Can you tell me what kind of engine you're getting for your MCS? My wife is handicapped, got artificial shoulder joints, and often even she can start the engine - like I said, it generally starts easily. But, I'd really like to make the Vacumn engine an electric start so she can easily use it. Frees me up to go trout fishing :) Thanks again, Dave Wells

hoses

View my Photos
david swann

2001-04-20          26990

Dave,

The 5.5 Engine that came with your MCS is what is called a Split case design Honda maks only two versions of it none with an electric start. I am sorry to say JD supplied a engine that is made to compete with the low end Briggs and etc. I went with a Honda GX 160 KI QXE. Roy Paggents small engines has them for 455.00 plus shipping. The problem is with the gas tank. Honda does not come with a fuel pump the gas tank is mounted on the top and is gravity driven. I found that the Honda got better gal-per-hr than the Kawa. so it was a non problem. I just used the Honda tank. The JD tank was in the way anyway.
Everything is a bolt in operation.all bolt holes line up and your blower housing fits perfectly. I placed an aux battery in the middle of the front bar (note the two holes{didn't even have to drill}). I just used a piece of angle and a small batt. hold down kit. If you use the JD electrical systen you must take out the electrical charging system. too much of a pain and a batt was 20.00 bucks and no mod of the JD. Y ou can even use the on/off switch hole for your start/on/off switch Homda supplies all this with the engine. Its warrent. for two years, has a low oil cutoff etc. e-mail me direct if I can be of any help for I must be boring other board users

David ....

hoses

View my Photos
david swann

2001-04-20          26991

Dave
sorry my e-mail address is davidswann@home.com ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login