Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tips on Rock Rakes

View my Photos
JonB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-03-31          26147

Well, the new rock rake arrived. After tilling some virgin ground, I uncovered tons of rocks. The rake made many large piles of rocks, but each pile had too much dirt mixed in. I assume there would have been less dirt if there had been less moisture in the dirt(?). My immediate solution was to build a large screen made of old fence wire stretched on a frame of old boards. The loader dropped the rocks on top, the dirt dropped through, and I loaded the rocks back on the loader and carried them to a rock pile. Is this a sound solution? I know it's time consuming. Is there a faster way? Does it sound like I'm using the rake correctly? Thanks in advance. JonB

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tips on Rock Rakes

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-04-02          26181

Jon, there is a VERY easy way to remove the dirt, although it is very slow, it requires NO work on your part at all. It is called rain. Pile all the rocks up into a nice big pile and wait, next year they will be VERY clean. Then do with them as you please. Farmers all over the world have been using this method for centuries, nobody has ever found a cheaper or easier way of doing it, and trust me, farmers know ALL the short-cuts, I'm a ninth generation farmer (among other things, LOL). Best of luck. ....

Tips on Rock Rakes

View my Photos
JonB

2001-04-04          26287

Thanks Murf. I'll take your advice and learn something from the farmers. I've already got that big pile. Maybe when it's clean I can sell it! Thanks again. JonB ....

Tips on Rock Rakes

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-04-12          26611

you have my interest as to the make? I've run several makes and there are differences between them. Results were varied as to manufacturer and design. Unfortunatly found money does matter on this one. ....

Tips on Rock Rakes

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-04-12          26617

Art, do you mind sharing your experiences with various rakes and their benefits? Or does it put you in a difficult situation as a dealer? I posted extensively on my "before the purchase" analysis of rakes about a month ago here on CTB, but I think real use experience is far more reliable. I ended up ordering a Woods LR107 with gauge wheels (from the price I have deduced that the gauge wheels must be made out of gold or platinum). If you are not comfortable posting on this, do you mind emailing me your opinion? ....

Tips on Rock Rakes

View my Photos
Art White

2001-04-12          26619

Jeff what you purchased is actually what we call a York Rake which is ironically built not to far from here and is built near hear by that brand name altough there are other manufacturer's. When I use the name rock rake they are a pto powered machine that does sperate the dirt from the rocks to varing degrees. What Murf suggested is one way to make the next job easier for that type of unit. For where we are in N.Y. we joke about growing rocks, we do sell the non-powered ones but the pro's all use powered unts. The powered units will actually windrow the stones and often move them several times before needing to pick up. My favorite is the double roll unit built by Harley, they also build a lower priced unit that is a single roll simular to sveral other manufacturers but we also have clay and the single roll machines will not crush the lumps and they often fill the windrow with the lumps as well as the stones. The single roll uses a type of splash pan to catch the lumps and stones from coming over the top and needs to be adjusted continually to work right. Both of these types rock rake basically give you a one pass seedbed that is ready to seed. ....

Tips on Rock Rakes

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-04-12          26625

Art, I always thought landscape rake was the generic term for a "York" rake and power rake was the generic term for a "Harley" rake - guess I just didn't know what a rock rake was. These terms are usually regional, and although you and I are only a couple hours apart I've noticed that central/western NY and northeastern NY are really different regions in many ways. I seem to remember that York rakes are made in Unadilla, where I managed to spend a fair amount of time when I was younger. So, do you have any opinions on York or non-York rakes? ....

Tips on Rock Rakes

View my Photos
JonB

2001-04-13          26649

Art, I'm also caught up in the name confusion, having heard York type rakes called York, rock, and landscape. Mine is a landscape rake, made by Landpride so I couldn't call it a York. "Rock" is easier to type and say than "landscape" so I simply called a rock rake--and that's pretty desciptive of my uses. But after looking the powered rakes over carefully, I probably just called mine a rock rake hoping it would turn into one. :-) JonB ....

Tips on Rock Rakes

View my Photos
Art White

2001-04-14          26693

Jeff I do have my favorite's there to. I watched a local septic company think that the Modern york rake (economy York) was to expensive to buy. He saved $100. to begin with and I rounded up that number but through the year I sold him all but two teeth to replace the broken ones. He since has a York rake as his main frame bent like a "u" the next year. Guess he didn't save anything as I sold him more teeth than the rest of my customers that year. Buy a good brand from a good dealer and you shouldn't have to worry. Any company can make a bad part or group of parts, a good dealer can help you through that problem. ....

Tips on Rock Rakes

View my Photos
Art White

2001-04-14          26694

Jeff I do have my favorite's there to. I watched a local septic company think that the Modern york rake (economy York) was to expensive to buy. He saved $100. to begin with and I rounded up that number but through the year I sold him all but two teeth to replace the broken ones. He since has a York rake as his main frame bent like a "u" the next year. Guess he didn't save anything as I sold him more teeth than the rest of my customers that year. Buy a good brand from a good dealer and you shouldn't have to worry. Any company can make a bad part or group of parts, a good dealer can help you through that problem. ....

Tips on Rock Rakes

View my Photos
Steve Benson

2001-04-15          26739

Art, do you know roughly what price a 6' harley double roller rake goes for (I think it's the P6 model)? I have lots of rocks and it looks like this would be the right impliment for the job. I checked out the web site for the product information but of course there were no prices. I'm just looking for a ballpark price before looking into it further. Thanks! ....

Tips on Rock Rakes

View my Photos
Art White

2001-04-16          26757

The model that you are after I beieve is the Pro-6 it retails at $7200. They also have the T-6 which is there ecomomy model or equivelent to the other guys with a single roll for $6200. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login