Go Bottom Go Bottom

Brush Brute

View my Photos
JeffM
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-02-26          24693

I ordered a Brush Brute (BB52) several days for my 35hp JD 4400. The JD dealer is going to weld up a Quik-Tach setup for my 430 loader. I would appreciate it if anyone out there who has used a Brush Brute please elaborate on your experience with the BB. I'd like to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly. What capabilities can I reasonably expect with poplar and birch saplings up to 2"? How about juniper bushes? Anything would help because I'm a little nervous about shelling out big bucks for an implement I haven't tried out yet.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Brush Brute

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-02-26          24701

Jeff, I think I can sum up your questions this way... The good is, it will lay a serious hurtin' on ANYTHING you put it up against, the bad is, it will lay a serious hurtin' on ANYTHING you put it up against, the ugly is it will lay a serious hurtin' on ANYTHING you put it up against, especially the sheet metal on a new pickup (new implement + new employee = OLD truck, LOL). Seriously though, it is an amazing tool, I have used them for years and never been disappointed. In the course of daily work, golf course contracting, we use them constantly. The only limitations are what you can put between the tines and the up-lift force / ability of your machine. I know this because I have mounted them on tracked excavators with 20,000 lb. break-out force ratings and they still did not fail. You will need to take some time to get the hang of it before you are entirely happy with it. The best tip that comes to mind is, avoid the temptation to just drive straight forward through the brush instead of stopping and tearing up & out, the reason is it will wedge tthe first row into the teeth so hard you will need to drive them out with a hammer, and the next row will just bend over because the teeth are full, then when you back ut they try to stand up under the machine, not a good thing. Take your time, be patient, and keep telling yourself "It beats doing it by hand!" in no time you will have quite an area cleaned out. Oh, and don't try to go to far to dump the brush, it is not safe or comfortable to drive far with the loader up in the air, and it makes the work go a LOT slower. Don't be afraid to ask questions, there are no dumb questions, only dumb mistakes. Best of luck. ....

Brush Brute

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-26          24704

Thanks, Murf. Your response was the sort of "hands-on" info I'm looking for. Most of the time, I'd much rather learn from others experiences/mistakes than my own. (There are, of course, things I just rather experience on my own!) Anthony, got anything to add to Murf's Brush Brute comments? ....

Brush Brute

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2001-02-26          24708

Sounds like an interesting implement. Any pix or URL where I can look at one? ....

Brush Brute

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-26          24711

Paul, when I get mine I will definitely post some photos, probably in April. In the meantime, I will try next week to scan some sales brochure photos, but they are not very good. I don't know of any website that would have a photo. ....

Brush Brute

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-26          24713

Also, Paul, search here the CTB for the word "brush" and you will find some informative posts from over a year ago. ....

Brush Brute

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2001-02-26          24735

Thanks, Jeff. I did read the archives. Sounds like a heck of a tool. Also found a picture on a For Sale board, mean looking sucker! I suspect it might be a bit more than my JD750 wants to bite off. Out of my price range anytime soon anyway. Nice to know it's out there, tho. Thanks again. ....

Brush Brute

View my Photos
Anthony M. Parente

2001-03-02          24940

Jeff,
Murph has said it all. I recommend that you set the rear wheels at maximum width, use a weight box or other counter weight, (I use 48BH), and use chains on all wheels, (saves lots of rubber). You will be limited by the weight of your machine, ground conditions and grade. I found it uncomfortable moving the brush with the BB/loader raised. I made a pile and pushed the pile with BB/loader closer to ground level. Good luck.

BTW: Murph should get a commission from BB, I bought mine based on his recommendation. I paid $1,200.00. It was worth it.
Anthony ....

Brush Brute

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-03-03          24953

Anthony, thanks for the response. I expect that I will have my 48BH or a landscape rake on the rear end most of the time for ballast. I haven't bought chains yet, but I expect that they will be needed. You got a great price from what I can find - are you located in Canada? The best I can get in upstate NY is $1325 because there is a single US distributor (Tudor & Jones). I'm having a JD Quik-Change setup fabricated and welded on by my dealer - total will be about $1500. Did your 1200 price include the setup for the JD Quik-change? ....

Brush Brute

View my Photos
Anthony M. Parente

2001-03-03          24977

JEFF,
I live in Williamsport, PA. I bought the BB through my local dealer who had never heard of a BB. I sent him looking for a BB based on Murph's recommendation. The Quicktach set up cost another $250.00 USD.
I put the Curtis Plow back on today, since we are expecting the "WORST STORM IN 50 YEARS" Sunday, Monday & Tuesday. The brush will have to wait for the Brute.
Anthony

Brush Brute

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-03-06          25090

Anthony, I feel better that your BB was only $50 less than mine when all was said and done. I thought I had paid $300 more, and that is harder to take. BTW, it seems like you guys got missed by "THE STORM". Up here in Saratoga NY we had 24-30" of snow as of 6AM this morning and more expected before it finishes tonight. In a lull right now, but the wind is picking up. Could still get interesting. ....

Brush Brute

View my Photos
Anthony M. Parente

2001-03-06          25102

Jeff,
Some people have all the luck and all the fun. We got about 8+ inches of heavy wet snow. The power and weight of the 4700/BH/Curtis 7' plow combo was tested, but I was able to remove the snow in one pass with no problems. I find the Curtis plow /loader package is great to push and then lift the snow into a tall pile. The "Weather experts" are predicting more snow for this weekend. BTW the quicktach set up is the only way to go!
Tony ....

Brush Brute

View my Photos
Jeff Golden

2001-03-08          25202

I saw this thread yesterday and was very interested, as I am in the process of clearing the fence rows around our farm. I called the manufacturer and found that he was displaying at a farm show currently being held in London, Ontario. Took off from work and drove 2 hours to see it in person. Very impressive and tough looking. Had the opportunity to talk to Ray Scissions himself, the builder of this implement. Seems his wife actually came up with the idea!

I think it would go well with my JD 4300/420 ldr set-up. The yellow colour will go well with the JD green! My question to those of you who are fitting a Brush Brute to a JD quik-tach loader...does JD sell the quik-tach bits through the dealerships, or are the dealers having the parts made up? If I can get the bits, I can have it welded together. ....

Brush Brute

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-03-08          25203

Jeff, as I understand it, my dealer is fabricating a framework to which the quik-tach "bits" will be welded. Then they will weld that framework to the BB. I assume by bits you are referring to the lower "pins" and the upper "hooks" that are on the implement section. My impression from the dealer is that the bits are standard parts that you could pick up at a JD dealership, but I'm not positive about that. I can't wait until snow and mud season is done so that I can play, I mean work, with the Brush Brute. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login