Go Bottom Go Bottom

Water Pump

View my Photos
KGryder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-02-23          24604

I've got a buddy who needs a water pump. I know I've seen large PTO driven pumps but does anyone make a small PTO pump that will work on an 18HP tractor. I think he may be better off just buying one of these pumps with a Honda motor but it doesn't hurt to look around.Kelvin Gryder

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Water Pump

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-02-23          24606

Depending on what volume of water he needs to move it is very easy to make such a beast, either belt driven by the engine, or pto driven (direct drive or geared to increase pump speed at lower pto speed). Lots of suitable pumps are available at places like Northern, Tractor Supply, etc. I have built several for self-filling spray tanks from the ponds on the golf courses we work on, etc. We even put out a brush fire with one a couple years ago, and while doing some work on a cleints private island used a larger one to make a 'jet drive' barge to take the equipment out and back when the work boat was busy, the world's first Kubota diesel powered Jet-Ski..... Best of luck. ....

Water Pump

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-02-23          24607

Tractor Supply Co. and lots of other places sell "roller pumps" that will work just fine off the PTO of an 18hp tractor. ....

Water Pump

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-23          24636

Murf, I think your Kubota-powered jet pump barge is the leading candidate for the annual "Unique Tractor Uses Award" I just thought up. I'm impressed. You are obviously a very resourceful, intelligent gentleman. Well, we know that you're resourceful and intelligent anyway... and 2 out of 3 isn't so bad. :>) ....

Water Pump

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2001-02-24          24640

I have an Ace PTO driven pump that I run with a JD750 (20 hp). I use it to irrigate my garden in dry years. It works great with about 15' of lift and 200' of run, drafting from a stream. The PTO shaft drives a large pulley which is belted to the small pulley on the pump shaft to bump the speed up. I suspect it's a bit more efficient than the 540 RPM direct-drive type. The company I got it from sells them for use with sprayer rigs. ....

Water Pump

View my Photos
Michigander

2001-02-24          24642

I am also looking for a PTO pump to water my oversized lawn and garden. I thought the roller pumps were primarily to run sprayers. I found a pump from Bolton's that looks like it will work well for my needs. I comes with an impact head and covers a 200 - 240 foot radius. I have a gas powered 2 inch pump and while it works great for pumping a large volume of water, it doesn't work well at all to sprinkle with. ....

Link:   Bolton Equip

Water Pump

View my Photos
al

2001-02-24          24652

i have used one of these roller pumps for a few years, i bought mine from northern tool, works well, i have a 23 hp tractor, the pressure you get depends on the speed of the pto, i use it to water transplanted trees, etc, you could also use it as a sprayer if you need to, just get a spray gun and hook it up. i have also seen these pumps at quality farm and fleet stores, most farm and tractor supply places should carry them they are a pretty common item. ....

Water Pump

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-02-26          24702

Jeff, the "Kubota Jet-ski" was more the result of necessity than insanity / creativity. Although I must admit, the time I used a tractor and side-bar (sickle) mower to cut a lake bed was a little off the wall, but then using a 6" irrigation pump to "vacuum up" all the cut up sea weed sort of made it all seem rather brilliant. A word of caution though "Do not try this at home. Trained professionals? on a closed lake. Damage may occur (to tractor & pride). Be prepared to laugh hysterically. Do NOT allow WOMEN to witness such an event!! Tractors do NOT float, even with floatation tires. "Rice tires" are mis-named, they are TERRIBLE in under-water silt. And most importantly, trying to 'unstick' a tractor in 4' of water is not fun and requires copious amounts of cold beer...... but then getting it there did too...." In our next segment, why 'JD (John Deere) on Ice' is not as good as 'JD (Jack Daniels) on Ice'.....and now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...... ....

Water Pump

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-26          24703

Murf, I KNEW if I provoked you I could get some good war stories out of you! I'm still laughing, and trying to visualize the tractor with sickle-bar mower on the lake bed thing. I wish you had pictures of that to post! Great story and commentary. Thanks. ....

Water Pump

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-02-26          24716

Murf, that sure sounds familiar. I used to have a friend (now deceased) with whom I worked on many successful projects. But every time we screwed up, he blamed it on "Adolph" (Coors) and was probably right, too. LOL ....

Water Pump

View my Photos
Art White

2001-02-27          24752

When pumpimg you first need to figure your use. Roller pumps are used on many older smaller sprayers and will handle some capacity of flow but will not pump as much as a centrifical pump. Roller pumps can maintain a higher pressure than a centrifical pump. Roller pumps can not handle any type of silt or debris and the centrifical can handle some amounts of debris. One concern that I do have is every now and than someone will loose the engine on there tractor because of parking on too steep of a bank. Kubota does have a portable pump that is a high pressure 2" for a retail price of $810. This pump does already have smaller fittings to make hook up easy. ....

Water Pump

View my Photos
Murf

2001-02-27          24757

Hind-sight is a wonderful thing Jeff, I to wish I had pictures of many of our 'adventures', however, like most things, it didn't seem nearly as funny at that moment in time. In fact I think I mentioned something about early 'retirement' to the one employee who had a camera with them..... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login