Go Bottom Go Bottom

rear mount rear discharge finish mowers

View my Photos
Mike S.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-02-08          24040

Could use some opinions as to the best 72 inch rear mount rear discharge finish mowers--the prices of various brands appears to be similar, but what of the quality of construction and quality of mowing grass after mashing it down with four tractor tires??

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bill

2001-02-09          24042

No experience with rear discharge, but based on my experiences with Woods 72" side discharge, I'd recommend Woods. Does an excellent job of mowing. Seems like it sucks the grass up after the tractor tires have driven over it really well.

Bill ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-02-09          24046

Mike, I'm using a Bush Hog RDTH60 (60") rear discharge mower and couldn't be happier. I'm sure there are others as good; can't imagine any better. ....

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2001-02-09          24052

I use a Befco, 60", C50 series rear discharge mower and can't complain about its performance. I had a problem with it windrowing the grass cuttings when it got too wet or tall but I installed a mulching kit and that cured it. It did mean that I had to mow a little slower than I did before but not too much. On the whole, I've been happy with it but my experience with other makes and models is limited. ....

View my Photos
Jeff Croft

2001-02-20          24441

I own a 60" Woods Rear Discharge mower. It does a great job. I wish I would have bought the 72" so it would clear my rear wheels. ....

View my Photos
Rick Seymour

2001-02-21          24467

Mike, Same reports as above on the Land Pride 72" rear discharge (Model 1572). ....

View my Photos
DanaT

2001-02-21          24473

I use a landpride 2572AT (air tunnel) It uses high lift blades to raise the grass from a wheel track. I had to lenthen the lower arms so the mower had enough time to raise the grass up, works great but it is a side discharge, I mow faster than I should too. ....

View my Photos
Dogman

2001-02-21          24475

I use a Bush Hog ATH720 side discharge mower and couldn't be happier.It sucks up the grass that the tractor mashes down and leaves a nice cut..This mower has a high blade tip speed and high suction blades witch is what make the mower work. ....

View my Photos
Michigander

2001-02-21          24518

I am looking for a rear mower as well. I've looked at the brochures for all of the model discussed above. According to the spec's, the Land Pride has the highest blade tip speed but maybe that isn't important as everyone seems to be happy with what they have. One unit not mentioned is a Caroni. They have a 91" rear discharge unit that is pretty cheap ($1200). It has 5 blades under the deck instead of 3 like most other brands. The specs look like the it may be built cheaper but it sure is priced nice. According to the dealer, they sold almost 200 of them last year with no complaints. Anyone have any experience to share? ....

View my Photos
AndyC

2001-02-23          24612

I bought the 71" Caroni finish mower (side discharge) last August after much comparison shopping. I paid $1000, which was about $700-$800 less than my dealer quoted for the same size rear discharge Landpride unit. I have been using it to cut about 9 acres of lawn and not-so-smooth pasture and so far I have been very impressed with the quality and performance. I ran over hidden rocks a couple of times and even though it sounded like I destroyed the mower, I found no damage other than a slight chip in one of the blades. Replacement parts are very reasonable, I picked up a second set of blades for $45. ....

View my Photos
PJDrew

2001-02-23          24622

I have a King Kutter 60" side discharge. I have had if for 5 years and it works excellent. Paid 850.00. Only costs are new belt($18) and blades($30) every year. I think they are worth a look if sold in your area. Yellow color also matches my Cub:)
PJ Drew ....

View my Photos
John Shade

2001-02-23          24626

I just saw a used Woods RM59 model for sale in the newspaper. Does anyone know what size or quality this is? Maybe 59" (5')... They're asking $450. ....

View my Photos
Dave M

2001-02-23          24631

I'm pretty sure the RM59 is intended to be a belly mower for older tractors (e.g. Ford 8N). I think it only has gauge wheels in the rear. A real PITA to get on and off.

View my Photos
Michigander

2001-02-28          24805

Andy, Similar pricing to what I have discovered. The 84 to 90 inch units from Land Pride, Woods, & Befco are $900 more. Did you find the Caroni mower at a local dealer? I have not been able to locate any dealers here in Michigan. ....

View my Photos
AndyC

2001-02-28          24821

I bought my Caroni mower from Sweet Farm Equipment in Kentucky, the unit was $999 + $140 freight. Agri Supply in NC is a little cheaper, $939 for the 71" and $1185 for the 91" + freight. Both companies have web pages, just search on the names. There is a local dealer in Whitmore Lake (SE Michigan), his prices were higher, $1200 for the 71" + sales tax. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login