Go Bottom Go Bottom

Get loader later or now

View my Photos
ggman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-11-24          21767

What do you think? I'm planning on buying a new compact tractor early next spring.I can't decide whether to include a front-end loader in my initial tractor purchase. I'm trying to budget my purchase around $15-16k (for a ~25 hp tractor plus what ever implements I can get). As I plan for my needs, I will definitely need a bush hog and likely will use a rear blade or box scraper. I also would like a tiller for several purposes. I've read about and been told that I almost can't do without a FEL....but my need for one seems less than my need for the other implements. Therefore my inclination is to hold off on getting the FEL until either I can afford to add it or until I decide I can't do without it. Besides, for the price of the FEL, I can essentially get the other implements I think I really need. Does this make sense or are there reasons unknown to me that suggest I should start out with the FEL?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Get loader later or now

View my Photos
KlayW in MI

2000-11-24          21769

GG, I found that 80% of what I do/use the FEL for are things I had not thought of prior to ownership. Hauling brush, moving/lifting heavy things easily etc, etc, etc. My mistake was not getting a mowing deck at the time of initial purchase and now might be difficult to swing the additional $$$ needed. I got $15.100 into a 27HP Hydro with FEL then went used for a tiller and back blade for $850 but what I saved will still not make up for the deck. My $0.02 is used 3pt accys are easy to find but not oem FEL's, buy it all now. Good luck ....

Get loader later or now

View my Photos
ggman

2000-11-24          21774

KlayW....how long ago did $15.1 get you the 27 hp + FEL; and which tractor manufacturer? ....

Get loader later or now

View my Photos
Jeff Pizzi

2000-11-24          21776

If you can swing it, by all means, get the loader now. If you don't, when you finally do, you'll be kicking your self, HARD. They are really handy. ....

Get loader later or now

View my Photos
Jack in IL

2000-11-24          21777

Two attachments specifically tailored to tractor models made by the OEMs are loaders and mid-mount mowers. Today there is an emphasis on ease of attachment and detachment of both units. If you anticipate long-term ownership of your new tractor, make sure you get the original equipment loader and deck (if you have any need at all) before they are replaced with newer models which may not fit your tractor. Even though there may be aftermarket loaders and decks available for an extended period of time, they seldom have the ease of attachment and detachment features found on OEM equipment. ....

Get loader later or now

View my Photos
Alan L. Lewis

2000-11-25          21784

Don't know what size tractor you are considering, but a B2710 with FEL should run about 16K. The brush hog, finish mower, and box blade are important implements, but I'd feel naked without my FEL. ....

Get loader later or now

View my Photos
TomG

2000-11-25          21790

To meet my initial budget, I went with used and gears but got the loader. The trouble with doing without is that often I alternate with the loader and a 3ph implement during many jobs: Snow removal with the blower, and stacking with the loader; and grading with the box scraper and compacting with the loader are examples. Material handling is a main job for my tractor, and I have 3ph pallet forks. However, the loader handles many of the smaller jobs the forks might do easier or better. Without the loader, I'd spend a lot of time swapping 3ph implements--same idea with a blade. One way of thinking about it is that a loader is something that does jobs that always come up. On the other hand, most implements are used for specific jobs--cutting, grading, tilling etc. The loader is always on, but implements are put on to do specific jobs. So, a tractor without a loader also is specialized to the particular jobs performed by the implements. So, the question is how long do the specific jobs take, and how busy is the tractor going to be? Tractors are pretty expensive things to have if they sit around most of the time.

A rear scoop is an inexpensive alternative to a loader, but they really don't do the same work. A guy on another board got a scoop to save money on a loader. I believe the solution works for him. He still says good things about the scoop. However, he did get quite a bit of fill delivered. I remember a long discussion about how to spread the fill using the scoop. I should note that I spent a couple thousand this year fixing things done by the previous owner, so going used doesn’t always reduce costs much

Get loader later or now

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-11-25          21796

Tom, that is well said. Just as you say, the loader is the tool that needs to be always available. And luckily it lives on the front of a tractor where it doesn't interfere with other implements. The loader is not so much for any specific work, but just to have something to do the lifting and carrying for every project. It seems that the type of guys who like tractors are the same guys who are to be found doing outdoor projects of all kinds....projects which always involves a certain amount of lifting and carrying. Not only is the loader handy, but it saves back strain and so I figure it is worth the price.
For instance, Ggman...you say that you will use a back blade or box scraper quite a bit. When I do these jobs with my tractor I turn up quite a few rocks ranging from fist size on up. Neither the blade or box of a compact tractor can deal with these very well, you just don't have enough weight in the tractor or implement. They are just laying there in piles where they got pulled up by the edge of the blade and then left when the implement rode up over them. You get to pick these offending rocks up by hand and take them somewhere. This job is a major part of grading in my "soil". And it is an example of a job that didn't exist until I had the tractor with a blade. What I do is hand load the loader bucket with these rocks and drive them off to my fill area. Without the loader I guess I could hand carry them one by one...or maybe in a bucket or wheelbarrow....ugh....
The only time I can think of when a loader might not be the implement of choice is when the tractor is primarily used for mowing.

Get loader later or now

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-11-25          21798

When we are putting tractors together it is far easier and cheaper for you to have it delievered with the loader on the tractor. That could mean any where from 150 to 500 dollars cheaper to buy it as a package. Just trying to keep the total picture of a budget together. ....

Get loader later or now

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-11-25          21822

One factor to consider. I didn't purchase a loader with my tractor since I was tapped out money-wise and I'm currently getting by with a cheap rear scoop. Works OK but still want a loader someday. But if you go this route, then make sure you order the tractor with the loader hydraulic valves factory installed. I spent the extra $ for this, because the dealers tend to charge a bundle to install these later on. If you have the SCV installed at the time of purchase, then it is easy to install a loader at any time and it will really be no different cost-wise than if you bought the loader initially (except for a few hours of labor). If the hydraulic values are in, you can even install the loader yourself. ....

Get loader later or now

View my Photos
TomG

2000-11-26          21825

It might be good to add a note about ballast. A loader makes good front ballast. Without a loader, suitcase weights may be needed to balance heavy implements like rotary cutters and box scrapers. A heavy 3ph implement may not put much weight on the hitch if it's floated and working on the ground, but it still has to be carried. There is the risk of going up a hill and having the front wheels lift, but the main problem is that inadequate front ballast gives inadequate steering. It's fairly common for me to pickup a load of gravel, or just put heavy stuff, in the loader bucket when I'm using 3ph pallet forks for heavy loads. I also put weight in the bucket when using the box scraper to add extra traction when the scarifies are down. Sometimes I carry a bucket of snow around in the bucket when I'm using the blower to increase the steering. Anyway, the loader makes a convenient ballast box. The trouble with suitcase weights on the front, and for that matter filled tires or wheel weights in the rear, is that they're a pain to take on and off. In general, it's a good idea to run only as much ballast as needed, but the needs vary. A loader is a convenient way to get the front ballast right for a particular job. ....

Get loader later or now

View my Photos
DJ

2000-12-28          22895

Get it all at once. I purchased a Kubota with FEL,Disk,PH,Cutter and boxblade. You can finance it all at once and the rates are low with Kubota was 6.9% and so far I am happy with what I purchased. It is a lot of money and my first tractor took me 42 years to get it so I got it all.Plus my dealer gave me 10% discount by purchasing it all at once. Good Luck!!!! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login