Go Bottom Go Bottom

3PH attachment easy or tough

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-22          139024

There was a time on TP when there was alot of talk about quick attach hitches and the premium telescoping hitches that are on some premium tractors.

Well all that talk has seemed to die down quite a bit. In my own case I have been putting things on and off for a long time so easily that I was starting to wonder why anyone would even think of buying something to make it easier than it already was.

Anyway, a couple of days ago I was putting on my grader blade in my garage, concrete floor, where I have the same piano dollies under the blade like I have in the past so I can roll it around...... Well I was having a time of it, I even got out the wd40 which I am sure was a waste. Must have taken me a half hour to finally get the pins in. Still at a loss as to what made all those other times a snap and this one a pain.

Dennis

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-22          139028

One little thing you usually do that you forgot to do?
Last time you used the blade, maybe the 3pt frame got tweaked??

David ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-01-22          139029

dsg,

One thing that was different is that I had dropped the blade with the blade swung around in the reversed position whereas I never do it that way, also might have used a different hole on the supporting stand, hope that was it, because it sure was a struggle and a nuisance.

Dennis ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-01-22          139030

Since that 7610 has a Cat 1 hitch, I recommend you check into Pat's Easy Change hitch. If this was discussed previously, forgive me. But I've got a Cat2 set on my KM454, and plan to buy a Cat1 set for my new TS354C. Wouldn't be without them. Matter of fact, I think they've paid for themselves already in the number of mashed fingers that didn't happen.

I don't represent these folks in any way, but I sure do like what I bought. You can get some visuals from the manufacturer's website. They're made right here in Kentucky. See http://www.greenwellmfg.com/

//greg// ....

View my Photos
dsg

2007-01-22          139034

If you have extend able links why would you need more links?

David ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-01-22          139038

Makes me happy I sprung TnT and quick hitch and went through the hassle of making sure all the implements work with it. It's never a problem hooking something up, even on hills and uneven ground. Don't even need to get off the seat except to hook up the pto on the rotary cutter. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2007-01-22          139044

Dennis,

I think the problem you encountered is called Murphy's Law. ;) Seems like when ever you think you have a procedure down pat or are in a big hurry, Murphy's Law dictates that something will go wrong. Happens to me all the time. No offense Murf! :)

http://www.murphys-laws.com/ ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-01-23          139056

Dennis, forgive my question if the answer is yes, did you have the stablizers loose? From experience, a pain. I have found not using any stand with my 3 pth blade the best option as it balances backwards very good. It takes nothing to pull it back frontwards to the lift arms. Now, it you let it drop to the ground, different matter. Not good if children are around that could pull it down on themselves. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-01-23          139059

Chief, no worries buddy, believe me, I know ALL about that law!!! :)

Dennis, one trick we found made a real difference with things like rear blades, was to replace the support stand with a wind down trailer jack, if you watch the sales at place like Northern or your local parts places, they often have them on for next to nothing. The inifinite range of adjustment makes a huge difference, especially if the machine or blade is not level. Hitch one pin, then wind it up or down till the other pin lines up! No lifting or kicking required!

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2007-01-23          139060

I have always blocked up my implements into position before I take them off of the 3 pt. hitch or at least try to duplicate that position by blocking the implement up so that the next time I come back to use it, the implement is pretty well in position to make the hook up. I also release the sway braces to allow full swing of each rockshaft arm which give me the max. manueverability. As mentioned above, this may not be the safest think to do if you have young children around who might play on or around the stored implements. Mine stay out in the barn which is well away from the house. The only implement I am not able to do this with is my pto spreader. Fortunately it is light enough to man handle but is still a pain in the butt because it is so bulky. Just be careful and watch those fingers and toes! Only takes a fraction of a second to take your eye off something and an injury can happen. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-01-23          139070

Murf:

That sounds like it would be helpful, I am gonna look into that.

Ken:

Yes I had the maximum slack in the stabilizers, I fiddled with everything, it was just the smallest fraction of an inch off getting the second pin on. It was so baffling because it has always been so darn simple that I have in the past hooked it only to move it a couple of feet in the garage and unhook it a minute later and then redo it 30 minutes later.

I am convinced that having the blade backwards must of had something to do with it making the height with the support rod inappropriate. Murf's suggestion would have helped.

I am still cleaning out the cracks in my fingers from the install so I won't prove out this theory until I take the blade off in the spring ;)

Dennis

View my Photos
pitt_md
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-05-31          142628

I'm curious, how many of you do not have the telescoping arms on the 3ph? I think every tractor I looked at before I bought had them. They sure make things easier than when I was a kid on the farm... hooking up the plow to the WD45 could be an all day event. :) ....

View my Photos
crunch

2007-05-31          142630

I don't have telescoping arms on the 3ph or a quick hitch. I am a homeowner and a very occasional 3ph user so I typically wrestle implements on to the pins. I have no barn so my attachments sit outside in the woods. I find this not so bad with the rock rake and back blade. But the brushchopper took me a 1/2 hour the other day. If I have my wife around to drive the tractor while I hold the arms on the 3ph it helps. But this Pat's system always has me interested. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-05-31          142632

I have them, but rarely use or even need them.

If you hitch & unhitch on a fairly flat & level surface and are properly aligned to the implement there is far more play in the 3pth than required to easily do the job.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-05-31          142638

I have a quick hitch with top-and-tilt and don't even need to get off the tractor to mount a 3ph implement. Life is good :) Now if there was a way to automatically hook up the pto ... ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-06-01          142647

I've tried the quick hitch systems, both arm-end mounted and the U-shaped bracket, but never found any big advantage to them.

I can't reach the handles to unlock them, so I still have to dismount in order to release them, and since the lower arms are free swinging to a degree I still have to line them up manually so again there isn't really any huge benefit.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
pitt_md

2007-06-01          142654

Murf, I thought the whole idea of telescoping arms is to make it so you don't have to be spot on with alignment. What do I know? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-06-01          142658

Pitt, no, you don't need to be spot on, but close helps a bunch.

The 2 lower links (arms) need to be in the correct spot in 3 directions in order to go over the pins, up/down, side-to-side, and fore/aft, if it misses in any one of those directions by very much it will be lots of work to hitch up.

Telescoping arms only solve one of them, the fore/aft aspect. They do nothing for the up/down or side-to-side.

IMHO, the easiest way is to achieve this is too leave the arms spread wide open, then as you get closer, adjust the height to match the pins, then when the arm is close, at least one of them should just slide right over the pin. If one doesn't quite go, I either firmly apply a size 12 boot, or just ease the tractor ahead or back an inch.

The other problem with using the telescoping arms is, the length of the arm determines the height, based on the angle of the arm, in otherwords, lengthening an arm while it's pointed down past horizontal means that it will also get lower as it extends. Since there is only about a 1/8" of tolerance in the pin to hole sizing, if you extend the the arm by very much, it will be too low to go on the pin without lifting the arm, and if the other pin is already on, you wont lift it without picking up the weight of that side of the implement also. THe same is true if the arm is above horizontal.

On top of all of that, you still have to get the arms back into the correct length with a heavy implement on them, and then reach in & around the hitch in order to get the keeper pins back through the arms to lock them in position.

All in all, it's more work than savings from my humble point of view.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-06-01          142662

Murf; Have you been sniffin too much Ludefisk, I wouldn't trade my Land Pride quick coupler for all the potatoes in Idaho. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-06-01          142663

Murf, maybe the 3ph on orange tractors is further back than it is on green tractors but I have no trouble releasing the quick hitch handles from the seat. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-06-04          142720

Frank, ludefisk? Yikes no, not for this self-respecting Irishman, a waste of good fish bait that stuff is!!!

Ken, I think my girlfriend hit on the problem, much as I hate to admit it, she asked the question Saturday while we were swapping the box blade for the flail mower, "How come your tractor has a roof thingy on it? Most I've seen are convertibles."

So there it is, because my tractor has a "roof thingy" (cab to the rest of us) instead of being a "convertible" (open station) it means I can't reach the 3pth from the seat.

Out of the mouths of babes...... :)

Best of luck.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-06-04          142726

That's a new one. Now we can tell our wives that we are suffering mid-life crisis' and need to buy convertibles. I love it :) ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2008-01-10          150123

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCTB | view 139024
......Anyway, a couple of days ago I was putting on my grader blade in my garage, concrete floor, where I have the same piano dollies under the blade like I have in the past so I can roll it around......Well I was having a time of it,I even got out the wd40 which I am sure was a waste. Must have taken me a half hour to finally get the pins in.Still at a loss as to what made all those other times a snap and this one a pain.Dennis

OK here is an update.

Turns out my Dumb misstake. When I had the problem I had been in a hurry to use the tractor for something else without the blade so when I dropped it here was the set up.

1) On level concrete floor
2) Blade had the tilt pin romoved
3) The blade was on an angle

Items 2 and 3 were the problem and made attaching it extemely difficult. I have removed and instaled the blade a half dozen times since in under a minute

Just operator error ! ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-01-10          150137

Dennis, your experience reminds me of the first time I took the #48 backhoe off my 4310 then spent a half hour getting it back on which is a five minute job after I did everything wrong the first time, IF you set it on a level surface everything works fine when remounting it, if you don't, your relegion can become a bit strained. Frank ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-01-11          150146

Murf: Out the mouth of "babes"--why not post a picture of her and we'll take a vote? Or have you traded that one in June in for another? ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-01-11          150161

Murf, EW will settle for left overs. kt ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-01-11          150162

EW, only ones I have of her include me, don't want to scare anyone too badly......

Kenneth, I do seem to remember him asking about girls in your family, you might be on to something...... ;) ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-01-11          150163

Might should just post a thread of pick on EW rather than keep on this one but...Murf, could be EW needed sunshades on his tractor not to keep the sun off of him...rather the face hidden...might be why he has problem finding a lady on his own. I can understand if so, spends the winters in Michigan with no cab and the summers in Louisiana with no cab...with weather like that what could one expect? That is different thinking...most people spend the winters in the warm weather and the summers in the cooler weather but we did know EW plays to a different musical instrument. :) :) kt

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-01-11          150166

Kenny, in the words of the wine cooler guys Bartles & James "And thank you for your support" :P

Leftovers are always better the second day aren't they? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-01-11          150167

EW, you hit it on the head ol' son......

I actually cook certain foods, stew, soup, pasta sauce & curry ahead of time so that they're leftovers the first time around.

My new gal says a fart smeller......

Errr no, wait, that was smart feller...... :)

But she biased, I'm a good cook.

Speaking of her, she just hollered, it's happy hour, that means quitting time, see you folks Monday.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2008-01-12          150176

Dennis..... I have had the same problems and traced it down to one rear tire loosing pressure and taking the tractor off level.

The best things to have on hand when changing 3 point stuff are a 6 foot steel pry bar and a BFH..... ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-01-14          150199

Very seldom do I have any problems connecting my 3 pth. Recently I almost had a biggie blunder. There is nothing like getting cocky when doing something you have done many times and the next one being different. Just saying be careful. Never put yourself between an implement and the tractor while hooking up. My almost biggie as the implement tipped to the tractor and ME. Had to wait for pry bar as DRankin said to use.

One simple point I learned when connecting your lift arms is connect the one that is on the lowest side of the implement as you then can use the lift itself to raise that arm, normally tilting the implement down on the other side but if you connect the higher side first, totally different ball game, one hard to win. kt ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-01-14          150201

Two of the best aftermarket investments I've ever made for my tractors were the hydraulic toplink and Pat's Easy Change lift arm attachments. And I'm talking about mounting/dismounting/adjusting implements on hillside and woodland. No more levers, no more pry bars and hammers, no busted knuckles or banged up shins, no more new cuss words invented.

Two recommendations; don't waste money on those HTL dual pilot check valves unless you know up front that your tractors hydraulic system has a leakdown problem. And order the optional stabilizer bar for the PEC, it's invaluable when you can't mount implements on level ground.

//greg// ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login