Go Bottom Go Bottom

Stump Remover

View my Photos
Normando
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-04-19          128020

I am looking for the name of an attachment that will remove stump. I been told it like a hook that attaches to a bar which attaches to your 3pt hitch. As you drive forward the hook drives into the ground lifting up the root ball.

Is there such a thing? Does it work? Where to buy? Any thoughts?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Stump Remover

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-19          128023

There USED to be such a thing, we have a very old one at the farm.

I would think in todays safety-oriented society they are likely no longer in production.

They also take a whole bunch of grunt, and I don't mean a group of Marines either, we use it behind a 100+ hp tractor and it's still a big job. Trees (and their stumps) have real good 'stick-um'. LOL.

Best of luck. ....

Stump Remover

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-19          128024

What size tree stump is being removed? There was an apparatus for small sapplings mention in old posts. You can search for this if this is what you are looking for. ....

Stump Remover

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-04-19          128030

I saw one in an online photo archive dating back to the 18th century. Basically it was a steel collar that slipped over the stump, this acted as bearing. The collar was bolted to the end of a timber about 10 feet long. On the timber near the stump sat an adjustable cutting edge/hook resembling a 3-pt middle buster. The other end of the timber was attached to a draft horse(s). The horses were led around in a circle. As the cutter/hook dug into the spoil it would eventually get caught on a stump root and thusly unscrew the stump from the ground.

I have another tool for digging stumps which is very effective: skid steer with pallet forks. I've dug oak trees with 4 foot diameter root balls in solid clay and southern pines in Miss. with 6 foot long tap roots. It takes a big and strong skid steer. ....

Stump Remover

View my Photos
Normando

2006-04-21          128096

Thank you guys for the quick reply. The stummps very in sizes from 1" in diameter to 2 feet across. I figured if I could use my tractor on the smaller one that would be great.

I didn't see the old post that you were referring to. I'll keep looking.

With out a backhoe or hiring an excavator, are there any other type of devises I should be looking at?

Stump Remover

View my Photos
Murf

2006-04-21          128097

Hopefully it's not too late, but, if you leave the stumps tall, you can often use their own length as a lever to tip them over.

If you tip them flat a few times, once in each direction, you can often pull a pretty good-sized stump out without too much problem. If you have a big pully that helps too.

Put a cable around the top of the stump to be removed, run it through a pulley hooked to a strap around the BOTTOM of a (bigger) nearby tree or stump, and then pull the cable with the biggest machine you have.

It will move a pretty big rock too.

In the old days they used to pull stumps by building a log frame (teepee style) directly over top of the stump, then use a heavy block & tackle pulled by hirses to repeatedly yank on the stump till it broke free. It worked, but not fast.

Do a Google search on something like "antique stump remover" and see what you get, probably some interesting pictures if nothing else.

Best of luck. ....

Stump Remover

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-04-21          128098

Adding to Murf's last post,
I have pulled live stumps with lenght as he said and placed soaker water house around the tree to wet the ground first. Was able to pull up tree about 8 inches in diameter fairly well.

On large stumps I have dug under the roots (will depend on many things here, how many stumps, type of dirt and stumps) and run chain under the roots and taken tractor and pull the root into until the stump is free. Slow but works fine. Of course is root is too large, you move further from tree until it is small enough to pull into.

Another method I found that works again on not real large stumps is a single shank subsoiler. In very low gear drive by each side of the stump tearing or cutting the roots into. Often they will allow the lift and pulling action to drive the point into the root and with the two actions at same time pull a stump much like a tooth.

If time is a friend and the locations allows, years ago a method was to plant a root crop hogs liked around the roots. Turn hogs loose on it and they would root up the stump digging the food.

There there is the RedNeck Method....long chain....fast pickup with dented tailgate and the line....watch this...Be sure to place a trusted friend in back to catch stump so as not to dent the cab, again! LOL ....

Stump Remover

View my Photos
Normando

2006-04-21          128104

Awesome I give that a try! Thank you for the information! ....

Stump Remover

View my Photos
Normando

2006-04-21          128106

KThompson, you must have been posting while I was replying. I think you are talking about the same thing I was looking for, Single Shank Subsoiler. I wasn’t sure what it was called, but you describe it as the same thing that someone else had describe to me. I think this would be real effective on smaller stumps. ....

Stump Remover

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-04-21          128108

Norm,

If you live in an old farming community ask farmers where you can find one. They have gone to multishank units and you find one for free. ....

Stump Remover

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-04-21          128114

3 PT. SINGLE SHANK SUBSOILER

Link:   

Click Here

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login