Go Bottom Go Bottom

sickle bar for compact tractor

View my Photos
unit5alive
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-04-16          127775

Can anyone recommend a good sickle bar for a compacxt tractor that mounts on the 3 point .

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-16          127782

Now that you mention it I have never seen one for a CUT. I have seen some 50-year-old ones for the old 9N's and the like. I wonder if they would work? You're gonna pay the price of a new rotary cutter by the time you buy it, repair and make it dependable though. ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-17          127796

They are making them. They are off brands 6-7 foot cuts.

I'm not sure you will find one small enough for a 2200.

Broken/loose knives will drive you over the edge for maintence. ....

View my Photos
unit5alive

2006-04-17          127803

It will actually be used on a Mahindra 2015 , witch is a good bill bigger tractor than mine , sorry for not pointing that out . and only several times a year . ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-04-17          127814

Northerntools.com sells them - $3,500 for a 6' bar, $3,700 for 7' bar. I never thought they would be so expensive. Obviously as earthworks says - a rotary cutter would be cheaper. But sickle bar mowers are great for getting under trees and around ponds. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-04-17          127825

Not only will you have maintenance issues as Harvey Mentioned, but it's hard to replace broken knives with numb hands from the vibration of running a sickle bar mower. ;-}

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2006-04-17          127873

I have a old coggered up JD mower that I made into a 3ph. It works ok for the 1-2 times a year I use it. Currently the pitman stick is broken and I need to find one.

Watch the auctions and do not pass up an old New Idea 2 wheel PTO powered trailer mower. It might be a little more cumbersum to use but for the money it will be by far your best buy. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-04-17          127877

Here's a sickle bar mower for you. Looks like it is attached to one of the new Kobotas. ....

Picture Link
Operating and Attachments sickle bar for compact tractor

View my Photos
unit5alive

2006-04-18          127901

We already have a old farmall cub with that same set up on it , if there that much I think it would be a good idea to keep that tractor. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-04-18          127910

For the price I might go to a drum mower. Are you looking to hay or are you just wanting to cut out from the tractor?
See link. ....

Link:   Mowers

View my Photos
unit5alive

2006-04-22          128125

Just looking to cut the banks near the edge of the road , Craig. ....

View my Photos
ArchyD

2006-08-24          133682

I recently purchased an old New Holland 450 sickle bar mower to use with my TC29. The tractor carries the mower well and the mower works well on my ditch banks. It was in pretty poor condition when I paid $75.00 for it. A trip to my NH dealer and $125 in parts later. I have a great addition to the farm.
It still needs paint, but it works well and is much smoother than I expected. My neighbor came over and showed me how to change blades.
Its a snap with a 4" grinder and a ball peen hammer and punch.Remove the blade bar from the mower, Grind off the heads of the rivets on the blade side and punch them out. Put the new blade in place and put in the new rivets from the bar side, place the head of the rivet on whatever you are using for an anvil.We used a sledge hammer head for the anvil in the field. Then using the flat side of the ball peen, begin to drive the rivet like a nail. It will swell to fill the hole in the bar and tighten up. Then use the ball side to peen the rivet until it flattens. Check the blade to make sure it is tight and then repeat the process as needed. We pulled the blade bar and replaced 2 blades in about 10 minutes. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login