Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tarheel IM 600 Rotary Cutter Feedback and Comments

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-09          112118

I have been researching pricing and quality of various rotary cutters and would like to know if anyone here has purchased a rotary cutter from Tarheel and their comments as well as impressions of the cutter since having taken delivery and using it. Looks like a fairly beefy rotary cutter for the money but they are lacking a front and rear chain guard. I can probably get one fabbed up if neccessary and hopefully they can be ordered with the cutter. I have emailed them about that. Just wanted to get some feedback from folks who have purchased them as well as get an idea of shipping costs along with cost of the unit and any other costs I have not considered. Thanks in advance!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-09          112121

CRS again! I should have posted a link to the rotary cutter I was referring to.

Link:   International 72" HD Bush Hog Rotary Cutter

View my Photos
Murf

2005-06-09          112124

I take it you don't yet have an arc welder?

If so front and rear chain guards are just a couple of minute job. A piece of flat bar drilled for bolts and a length of old chain cut into small peices.

If it wasn't so far away I'd even make up a set for you. My shop prices are, one beverage per 1/2 hour, cold ones this time of year. ;->

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-09          112131

Murf,

No welder as of yet. I have been looking at them though. My neighbor just bought a Miller 650 amp stick/MIG/TIG welder off of eBay for $1,000! Hope I can find a deal like that when and if I do decide to buy a welder. Since moving to the ranch we have been incurring costs here and there that all add up. So I gotta leave some fudge factor in the budget.

I have looked at MANY various models and brands so far. When you get down to the brass tacs and compare apples to apples; (i.e. front and rear chain guards, slip clutch protection, minimum 10 guage deck, minimum .250 thickness side panels, 1/2 inch x 4 inch blades, etc.) they all seem to come within a few hundred dollars of one another. When you add in shipping costs; (approx. $200) that makes the prices even closer.

The other day my John Deere dealer manager made me an offer that was hard to pass up............he told me he would sell me an MX5 complete with front & rear chain guards, as well as slip clutch (these are all included standard anyway on the MX5)for $1,700. I am thinking that is as good of a price I am gonna get ANYWHERE and probably not be able to get anywhere else. I think I am gonna take him up on the at offer. They have been REAL good in dealing with me and even though it is a 150 mile drive one way; I think it will be WELL worth the trip.

In any case Murf; I'd be delighted to have a visit with you and spend a few hours in the shop!

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-06-09          112145

That's a mighty good price for an MX-5. You already know how much I like mine. Will he make you a killer deal on a 6 footer too? Your 4410 should handle the MX-6 ok. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-09          112147

Ken, I have been going over that very issue in my mind. John Deere specifies the MX5 as the heaviest duty rotary cutter rated for the 4410. I have looked at the Woods Brush Bull 600 which is a medium duty 5 ft. cutter as is the Land Pride RCR 2660 and they both weigh over 1,000 lbs. which is near the same weight as an MX6. The MX6 is rated for a minumum 30 pto hp. my 4410 is 28 pto hp. (close enough) I have not heard of anyone else using an MX6 on a 4410 but I am sorely tempted. I just don't want to over tax the tractor weight wise. The category 1 hitch is rated for 2,200 lbs. Do you think I would be over doing it with an MX6? I could probably get the MX6 at an equally good price. Would you go with an MX6 if you could do it again? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-06-09          112152

Maybe it's CRS, but I thought my dealer said the MX6 would work on the 4410 but not the 4310. That's why I went with the MX5. I would rather have a six footer, but I just checked the compatibility chart and they recommend the 4510 as the smallest machine for the MX6. My opinion is that it would work, but that is probably worth what you paid for it. ....

View my Photos
glocknut30

2005-06-10          112157

2HLion,
I have this cutter! This is my third season of using it and I LOVE IT! The ONLY issue I have is the top bracing makes it difficult to clean. I did replace the tail wheel zerk fittings but that was my choice. It's easy to remove blades to sharpen and steady as a rock behind my M4900. I finally retired an antique 60" cutter and cut my mowing time by two hours.

The price is about what I paid too, so I don't think you'll be disappointed in the cutter's performance.

Happy Mowing! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-06-10          112166

The weight on the 3pth is a hard one to call.

I don't know where JD sets the 2,200 # limit, some manuf. call it at the lower link ends, some 24" behind, some at a fictious point a set distance out from the rock-shaft pivot.

Off hand I know we run an old but re-built (with 3/16" plate) 5' Ford bush-hog on the farm, it is WELL over 1,000 #. It is way more than the machine it's on, an old Ford 3000, is supposed to carry.

We just run a chain for a top link and never really lift it up. By lengthening the chain and raising the 3pth all the way up it sits so high it clears just about anything. That way you never lift the entire weight, just the front half.

As for welders, look around at garage sales and auctions for an old 200'ish amp AC buzz-box, they can often be had for $100 in decent shape and will do all the patching and jury-rigging the average person needs. Besides, they're great for learning on. Get good, then worry about fancy or pretty.

You're welcome anytime, the cooler in my picture #14 doesn't work as well lately, the weather, high 80's and humid, has that system down till fall, but there's always plan 'b' ..... Any chance you're gonna make the trek to the farm show in August in NY ? It's just a days drive for you.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-10          112171

Murf, I would love to go to a good tractor show. I just have way too many irons in the fire right now and all I can barely keep up with at the moment. Maybe in the future when I get things more in line.

I love your cooler! LOL! Now that's what I call ice cold beer! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-06-10          112174

Uh-oh, sounds like a case of the dreaded Honey-Do Syndrome ........

Honey-Do this, Honey-Do that when you're finished this....

I'll fill out a draw entry at the Kubota booth for you, they're giving away a new RTV !! LOL.

"...I would love to go to a good tractor show." I've never been to a BAD one yet, ROFLMAO.

Best of luck.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login