Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tillers plows

View my Photos
JonB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-11-27          10395

I'm getting a field ready for planting, and considering various tillers. The JD sales has sold me other brands of implements but said he wouldn't recommend anything but JD for the tiller. Does anyone have experience with a JD tiller? Is is just another OEM painted green? My field is concrete clay, so a heavy duty tiller is probably best. And what about tillers that turn in reverse? How do they work? Are they better? Or should I just use a moldboard plow? BTW, I plan to plant everything from corn to tomatoes, peppers to lettuce, etc., but not all at the same time. Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tillers plows

View my Photos
Bird Senter

1999-11-27          10396

JonB, I turned a section of what was hard clay pasture into a vegetable garden with just a Bush Hog brand tiller (model RTS40). I've been using it for over 4 years now and I doubt you could get a better quality tiller. It's seen such heavy use that I'd say it's even been abused. I've used it just to break up hard ground so I could move dirt with the front end loader, and I've hit rocks, chunks of concrete, bricks, roots, etc. This week I also made an additional garden spot with it. You CAN do the job just with a tiller, but I've learned that you will save a lot of time, and a lot of wear on an expensive tiller, if you'll use a moldboard plow first, then go over it with the tiller. This is the only brand I've used, but I've seen a King Kutter that looked pretty good. Hope this helps. ....

Tillers plows

View my Photos
mario

1999-11-27          10401

I got a great 57" tiller from central tractor for under $1000. They were out of the normaly stocked one and had Howse units in to fill in. It works great. I have been tilling everything. My wife blew the wistle on me so I think I must let the dust settle before I grow the gardens any more.

I would not spend one cent more on a JD or other brand for my needs.

Best of luck shopping.

mario ....

Tillers plows

View my Photos
RCH

1999-11-28          10421

I`ve got a 8year old Landpride 60-25 that is my most used implement. I also have a 2-14 moldboard plow that I use occasionly.
What works best for me in heavy clay is a used Oliver 3pt. 4-row cultivator that cost $75. I cut about 18 inches off each end, moved the shovels close together in order to cover my tracks and replaced the front shovels to ones without `sweeps`. I till to get the surface vegetation ground up so it doesn`t clog the tines . I use it like a chisel plow with several passes. It `ll definately go deeper than the tiller and enable the tiller to go deeper in subsquent years like in a garden.It`s also a hell of a rock finder which are hard on tillers. Old 4 row cultivator have been largely replaced by herbicides. They`re cheap, heavy, over built for this purpose,shovels readily available,and you get an extra tine/ assembly or two.You can put a tongue out the back for a drop seeder or chain-link harrow, or till it again. you may have to replace lower 3pt hitch pins with a category 1 set ....

Tillers plows

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-11-28          10422

RCH, that's about the same thing that I use for breaking up the ground and getting it prepared down deep. Only mine is an old spring tooth cultivator with replaceable digging points - 4 wide and 3 deep. It is heavy, cheap, rugged, no moving parts....don't think I have 200 bucks in my whole rig including the gauge wheel. Just about my favorite tool. After I go over ground with it it doesn't matter what kind of power tiller that you use, all will do the job. Funny thing is that I bought it purely by accident at a farm sale just because it was so cheap and had a good 3 point hitch on it.
Roger L.

Tillers plows

View my Photos
RCH

1999-11-29          10436

ROGER L, in fact the Oliver uses spring teeth, two nestled together so they are stiffer than on a harrow. As you say sounds very similar. ....

Tillers plows

View my Photos
BS

1999-11-29          10448

I bought a cheapy tiller from a discount farm supply (QT Farm and Country). You get what you pay for. If I did it again, I would buy a name brand, Howard, JD, Landpride (heavy duty series), Bushhog. BTW, Howard makes JD's tillers. ....

Tillers plows

View my Photos
Steve

1999-11-30          10475

I too have been looking for low-cost ways of tilling. What size/type tractors are you guys using with these moldboard plows and cultivators? Seems like it would take a pretty good size tractor to pull a 2-14 plow. Thanks. ....

Tillers plows

View my Photos
Bird Senter

1999-11-30          10485

Steve, I have an old 14" moldboard plow (single bottom) and my B7100 (17 hp) couldn't quite handle it in this black clay, but the B2710 (27 hp) I now have can handle it all right. I don't think there's any way it could handle a two bottom plow though. Now does anyone know where I can find a new 14" single bottom moldboard plow with a gauge wheel? My old one has no gauge wheel and is worn out anyway. ....

Tillers plows

View my Photos
RCH

1999-11-30          10491

I pull the 5 and1/2 foot wide Oliver cultivator/chisel plow with a Ford 1910, a 33 hp ttactor with 4 wheel-drive.I have to make several passes; it won`t pull it otherwise.You can always reduce the number of tines. I also fill the front- end loader for more traction. ....

Tillers plows

View my Photos
JonB

1999-11-30          10516

Thanks for all the advice. At least I feel I'm on the right track. Now to find that inexpensive cultivator/plow! JonB ....

Tillers plows

View my Photos
Steve in Buffalo

1999-12-23          11419

Hi everybody and Happy Holidays!

I'm looking for a one bottom moldboard plow for a 3pt hitch. Any ideas where to start? The internet searchs have been next to useless..... Thanks. ....

Tillers plows

View my Photos
Bird Senter

1999-12-23          11420

Steve, You might start at http://www.tractorsupply.com/catalog/3pt/p142.htm to see their one-bottom 14" moldboard plow. Last time I was in their store, it was selling for $200. ....

Tillers plows

View my Photos
Bird Senter

1999-12-23          11421

Steve, Let me try again. I forgot to put the URL in a different place on this board. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Tillers plows

View my Photos
steve in buffalo

1999-12-23          11422

Thanks Bird. It looks like it will fit the bill but the nearest store is 158 miles and 1 1/2 states away. I will call for a price after the holiday. Thanks again. ....

Tillers plows

View my Photos
PaulB

1999-12-23          11430

Steve - there is a TSC in Oneida N.Y., near syracuse. Still not a hop skip and jump from where you are, but maybe worth a trip if you are ever heading East on the thruway. Just make sure you call them first, I do not think they keep stuff like that in stock routinely.
PaulB ....

Tillers plows

View my Photos
Bird Senter

1999-12-24          11444

Your welcome, Steve, and I forgot to tell you that you might also look at this other web site for the moldboard plows they sell. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login