Go Bottom Go Bottom

Which Hydraulic Disconnects to Use

View my Photos
tomrscott
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-01          103249

I am getting a 2000 JD790 (delivered next week) and plan to add a Top and Tilt kit (probably the parts from CCM).

First my question, and then some explanation:
Q: What type and size of quick disconnects are standard for a CUT sized tractor for rear implement hydraulic lines? I've seen several types advertised at various hydraulics sources.

Now for some background that got me there:
I have decided to run a two spool, OC/PB joystick valve, mounted probably on the right side from the ROP, and then run the work lines from the valve down to four quick-disconnects mounted on a bracket above or on each side of the rocker arms.

The idea is that the top and side link cylinders can plug into these quick-disconnects, and then if I ever want to run hydraulics to a rear implement, I can disconnect one or both of the top / side cylinders and plug the implement in it's place. If I get the cylinders with the check valves, I shouldn't have to worry about them drifting.

Using a joystick style controller seems much more intuitive to me for the TNT than two handles. The front and back directions controlling the obvious top link adjustments, and the left and right control directions adjusting the tilt side link.

If anyone is interested in doing this on a JD790, I've done the research to know how to hook it up now and the 790 is kind of different from other tractors. I'd be happy to talk with others who've done this or would like to.

I've spent the last couple weeks reading everything I could find on hydraulics (background in electronic engineering and mechanical design, but not hydraulics). It has been quite interesting and very educational.

One fellow on another forum has said that he has found ISOA and ISOB connectors the former at about $39 a set, and the latter at $18 a set, so he used the ISOB.

So I guess the point becomes, which type is more likely to be used on a rental implement that I might want to connect to my 790? Could it be that the larger ISOB would be for larger implements intended for bigger tractors, and a smaller implement that would be reasonable to use on my 790 would be more likely to use ISOA? I would expect that the size would directly relate to hydraulic flow capacity. My 790's implement flow is limited to under 6gpm (steering is separate motor, gear tranny), but some big equipment has 10gpm to 25gpm and more.

Cheers!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
tomrscott
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-02          103281

I checked out the Hydraulic Supply Company online catalog,

http://www.hydraulic-supply.com/pdf/488.pdf

which carries the Aeroquip line of hydraulic quick-connects.

This catalog also has some very interesting info. It seems that the ISO standards (both Series A and B) come in several "Size" dash numbers, -04 rated 1GPM, -06 rated 6gpm, -10 rated 12 gpm, -12 rated 28 gpm, and -14 rated 50 gpm.

The catalog has many different types and sizes, but they do list a series they call "Hydraulic Farm" FD72 and FD76 (their pages 517, 518). These also have a retaining ring groove on the barrel for bulkhead mounting, which seems useful. Interestingly these are only available in -10 size (hummm...), but on this series the -10 is listed as having 16gpm flow rate. The -10 size seems like plenty of capacity for most any CUT implement, so I am not surprised that's what they use.

The Hydraulic Farm connector part numbers are as follows:

FD72-1001-08-10 Female connector, 1/2-14 Female Pipe, valved, with ring groove on barrel for bullkhead mounting.

FD76-1002-08-10 Male connector, 1/2-14 female pipe, with Buna-N seal material and poppet valve.

Also worth pointing out that the Brass and Stainless couplings that are mechanically compatible are not rated for the kind of pressures we need, some as little as 1000 psi. A word to the wise, make sure the couplers you use are rated for enough pressure for your tractor's hydraulic system. The steel ones of the appropriate size seem to be 3000 psi or better and can handle bursts up to 12000 psi.

The other Aeroquip lines that are like connectors we might run across are:

The Aeroquip 5600 Series (page 500-502), which are compatible with ISO7241/1 Series A, and which look identical to the Hydraulic Farm series.

FD45 Series which they say is ISO 7241/1 Series B compatible (page 505-506)

FD89 Series which is the flush face style, compatible with ISO 16028, and meets HTMA (Hydraulic Tool Manufacturer Association?) requirements (page 513-514). The big advantage of the flat face connectors is that they lose less fluid, and introduce less air into the system when connected and disconnected, but in a system like a tractor, air flushes out pretty well, so that is probably not too big a deal.

I am kind of leaning toward the Farm series, which appears to be like an ISO A, but I think I will check with the local rental yard and see if they know what their implements use. I'll also look at my FEL, but that's not really a big factor, I can't see that I would ever want to connect the FEL to the rear hydraulics or a rear implement to the FEL hydraulics, so I don't see much advantage to keeping them compatible.

View my Photos
denwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-02          103312

Well I can promise it won't be the cheapest or used on rental equip for tractors, but flush face couplers are my favorite. I first encountered them on my bobcat skid loader. I love them for cleanliness and lack of dripping oil. I like them so much, I took the factory ones off my mini excavator and put bobcat on. When I disconnect, 1-2 drops of oil, when its time to connect, just a quick wipe of the flush face and dirt is gone. No silly caps, no mess. ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2005-01-02          103314

denwood:

You make a good point!

1) Which size did you use?
2) Where did you get them?
3) What brand did you find?
4) And what did you pay for them?

Thanks! ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-01-02          103316

I went with the ones from my Bobcat dealer. They are standard equip. and the ones I used are good for at least 20 GPM. Don't know size other than for a standard flow machine. Dealer will know. I priced them at other places bu bobcat was cheapest, I think around $80 for the pair 5 years ago. Males are cheaper. I like to have male and female on machine and also on implement, to insure I always hook it up the same, and when not in use, implement hooks to itself to protect from smashing ends up. Just like skid loaders come from factory. Tractors always have all females on back, but not if it was up to me. ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2005-01-03          103366

denwood:

re: using both male and female on both ends...

Well I can see how that works on say a FEL when it is dismounted, because they're on hoses, but how does that help with the connectors on the tractor side? Or don't you have your tractor side connectors mounted to a bulkhead?

Again not a bad idea for the disconnected implement, but it seems like you still need caps for the tractor side, unless you have dangling hoses or use a jumper or something.

Thanks! ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-01-03          103371

Besides the idea of not leaking hydraulic fluid at disconnect, the flush face don't need caps for male or female, just a clean rag to wipe em. Having male and female on the tractor is no benefit other that allowing the implement to connect to itself and to assure that each time you connect, you use the same hydraulic path. The way tractors are now, you have to have color coding or you may hook it backwards and then the lever movement you are used to will be backwards. I hook up backwards on my old tractor sometimes, can't remember which is which and no color coding. I don't recall any modern skid loader with only one kind on it. They seem to always use one of each. Why should a tractor be different. I don't like it much when my thing are hooked backwards, or the idea of switching them and having fluid run out again.
As far as my new tractor, the 3rd valve and power beyond are still in the box, waiting to be put on. I will see if I can use one of each for the 3rd and still use the bulkhead mounts. ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2005-01-11          104039

Just to maybe put a cap on this thread, I finally got out and looked at the quick disconnects on my JD790. Delivered last Friday, but I've been busy, and fighting a cold, so have only gotten about 2hrs of seat time so far. Took a sick day today, but got out and took some measurements of the fittings and things.

The FEL uses 3/8" hose, rated 3000 psi WP, named Atlas, Atlaflex I. 3/8" lines are typically rated for 6gpm, which is reasonable since the implement pump is rated at 5.6gpm.

The quick disconnects measure about 0.557" across the OD of the tip of the male, 0.3" from the front shoulder of the male tip to the first edge of the locking land, and 0.663" OD of the locking land.

I think that is an ISO-A in the -06 size for 3/8", but I haven't found a real good dimensioned mechanical drawing to be sure. I guess more conventional size AG tractors often use the -10 size connectors for 1/2", but the CUTs with their lower hydraulic flow may use 3/8".

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-12          104059

I hate to be the guy to stick the pin the 'happy' balloon...

JD is famous (infamous?) for having a NON-STANDARD hydraulic quick-couple fitting, in the industry it is simply known as a JD fitting.

The JD fitting is shorter than a 'standard' fitting and is tapered much more.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2005-01-12          104072

Murf,

I have seen those on the shelf at the JD dealer, but they're much larger than a CUT would typically use. I suspect if they are still common, they would only be used on the full size AG tractors.

I am sure there is some mechanical engineer somewhere who is very proud of some feature of that connector, but doesn't appreciate the inconvenience it causes end-users to switch to a non-standard. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-12          104076

I beg to differ, both JD and 'standard' couplers are available in range of sizes from 1/4" to 1", likely your dealer only has the larger ones on the shelf, they being more common on big Ag. tractors.

The most common size and type for both implements and CUT's is a 1/2" Pioneer type.

If you do have JD type couplers and decide to change them, be sure to get a double breakaway style of female coupler and fasten it with a bracket. This type of coupler releases by either pushing OR pulling, that way if you accidentally leave a line connected and try to drive away it will merely release itself rather than doing any damage.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-12          104105

I use the flush kind were ya give it a clean wipe before connecting. I had one on there that kept getting clogged. Man was that annoying! I finally got tired of hammering a nut driver to free it up so I spent the $50 & replaced it. It hasnt glogged since. Its funny how the other line never clogged. They are nice when they work though. ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2005-01-13          104113

Murf,

You may well be correct that JD uses these a lot of places, and I have seen them at the dealer and at a Wilco locally, but always in larger sizes. However my JD790 and the 419 FEL both came from the dealer with 3/8" lines and standard ISO-A couplers in the 3/8" -06 size, not the JD style with a steep tapered tip. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login