Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ford 8210 blowing oil

View my Photos
smithfarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-21          94082

I have a Ford 8210 tractor that was up for an oil change. It had been running fine. I ran it all day Tuesday and when I finished that night it was late so I drained the oil and let it sit overnight and the next day. Wednesday afternoon I put new oil in and changed the filter(the same type of oil that I have always used). I started it and everything was fine. Thursday I ran it all day and I noticed that it was blowing alot of smoke and oil out of the breather tube. During the day I had to add more engine oil. The tractor still seems to be running fine it just blows the oil out. I haven't had this problem before. Does anyone have any sugestions. Thanks for your time!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Ford 8210 blowing oil

View my Photos
TomG

2004-08-22          94084

What comes to mind is that it'd be good to do a compression test. Something like a broken ring could be the explanation and it might be unrelated to the oil change. A condition like that could cause more damage to an engine if it continues to be operated. The oil pressure was OK after the change I guess. ....

Ford 8210 blowing oil

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-23          94235

As Tom stated it may be rings but more than likely if the engine is starting fine and has good power I would bet that it is valve seals which is also unrelated to the oil change. This is generally not a difficult job to do but you need a service but to set your clearances. How many hours are on your tractor? ....

Ford 8210 blowing oil

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-23          94242

Just out of curiousity, what brand & type oil are you running now as opposed to what you were using before the oil change? ....

Ford 8210 blowing oil

View my Photos
smithfarms

2004-08-23          94248

I am using the same oil as always. 15W-40 Rotella. The tractor just turned 5000 hrs. The tractor starts right up and seems to be running ok. I haven't ran it since the day that it started blowing oil but it didn't seem to be lacking any power. I am waiting on a mechanic to come look at it.
Thanks for all the comments. ....

Ford 8210 blowing oil

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-23          94253

Tom and Oneace bring up the most probable causes. On the off chance that the injector pump is leaking fuel into the oil; did you notice if the old oil was runny and smelled heavily of diesel. If enough diesel leaks into the oil; it can thin it enough to cause it be prone to being blown out the crank case vent tube as you describe. Does the engine blow oil and gases out of the crank case vent tube when it is cold or only when it is at full operating temp after some useage? This is likely not the case but might be worth looking into in the event you eliminate what Tom and Oneace brought up. Also, something else I was thinking of but I am not up on the Ford/NH engines. Do the crankcase vent tube have a one way check valve? If so, and it is stuck open; could this cause the problem. I am sure Oneace might be able to shed some light on this. ....

Ford 8210 blowing oil

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-23          94258

I do not think that this engine has a check valve most NH/Ford do not. But I may be wrong. Where your tube comes out of the valve cover does it connect to a steel nipple or is there a plastic piece that the tube connects to and the the piece pushes into a grommet in the valve cover? This is called a PCV valve. ....

Ford 8210 blowing oil

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-23          94260

I was not sure of the tractor but I just looked at a picture
and now I am pretty certain that it does not have a PCV valve. I have the pic on my profile if anyone is interested. ....

Ford 8210 blowing oil

View my Photos
smithfarms

2004-08-24          94315

Thanks for all the comments!! It is a steel tube that pushes down directly into a grommet on top of the valve cover. I guess there is no PCV Valve. ....

Ford 8210 blowing oil

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-24          94341

That is what I thought. More than likely you have bad valve seals. Like i said before it not not too expensive of a fix and only takes about 2 to 3 hours to do and no removal of the head is required. ....

Ford 8210 blowing oil

View my Photos
TomG

2004-08-25          94405

I'm trying to learn something here. I don't know if the breather tube is open or runs to the manifold. I also don't know if 'valve seals' seal the valve stems to prevent oil going down the valve guides. I have cured a number of serious smokers by replacing those valve stem seals on mid-60's Ford trucks. Serious blow-by wasn't a problem for those engines though. ....

Ford 8210 blowing oil

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-25          94457

Valve seals serve two purposes. One is as you said to keep oil from going in to the combustion chamber. The other is to keep the pressure from the raising piston on either the exhaust stroke or the compression stoke it the valves do not seat right from entering the valve cover. If the pressure gets into the valve cover it will go in to the crankcase as well. That is what causes 75% of blow by. Normally on diesels you will not get piston ring blow by unless it is a ether start. ....

Ford 8210 blowing oil

View my Photos
Art White

2004-08-25          94555

I believe that the 8210's went out the bottom by the oil pan. I can't think of to many off road diesels that recirculated the bypass gasses. ....

Ford 8210 blowing oil

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-25          94559

What are you talking about?

Ford 8210 blowing oil

View my Photos
TomG

2004-08-26          94569

Yes, I always learn more by asking questions than by supplying answers. I see that the seal thing would work both ways if an intake valve wasn't completely seating. A doggy valve would affect performance but that could be gradual and not noticed. If the seal type were boots that slipped over the end of the valve guides they can crack off and the oil burning could be noticed suddenly.

I believe that diesels don't draw as much oil down worn guides as gas engines due to lower intake manifold vacuums so a diesel wouldn't have the puff of blue smoke after coasting down a hill like gas engines. Sounds like a good thing to check. I'd also note how much oil is under the cover. I have heard of engines where the oil feed line broke off or a plug at the and of the rocker-arm shaft came out and put a lot of oil under the cover.

I believe this scenario also indicates that the guides and maybe valves may be in need of some attention--especially if the engine has high hours. ....

Ford 8210 blowing oil

View my Photos
Pete

2006-03-08          125754

There is no way that valve seals are going to let enough air pass to blow oil out the blowby pipe. I think you have broken compression ring on a piston or a crack in the head. Does the air and oil coming out of the pipe seem to pulsate and change speed with the engine speed? ....

Ford 8210 blowing oil

View my Photos
Chief

2006-03-08          125756

This is a pretty old post. I think one option we may have all over looked is: was the crank case over filled with oil? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login