Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Holland Starting Problem

View my Photos
sullivan-dave
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-07-08          40163

My used New Holland 1630 keeps blowing the main 30-amp fuse when I try to start engine. The glow plug indicator lights for about 5 seconds, then the fuse goes. I have been able to start a couple of times. I have been running this machine for 40 hours without a problem. How can I fix?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-07-08          40176

The glow plug is essentually a filament like that in a light bulb with out a vacuum. I would guess that you could have had the glow plug break and shorten causing an increase in current to the plug.
Does the plug come on automatically delaying the start? My pickup and tractor do but I can turn through and start. I only use the plugs in the winter. ....

View my Photos
sullivan-dave

2002-07-09          40197

Thanks for the information.
Is there anything I should be concerned with when removing and inspecting the glow plugs? What would a ?good? plug look like? thanks, dave ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-07-09          40204

I would check them with a ohm meter before I remove any. It is probably only one that is bad. You should be able to get the resistance values from the shop manual. The resistance is likely to be low so may need a good meter to tell the difference.
I guess alternatively I guess you could remove the wire from each glow plug individually until the fuse does not blow, but this would cost you a few fuses. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-07-10          40241

Your tractor may be different than my 1710 and 1630 manual procedures should be followed. An abbreviated procedure to remove the glow plugs in my 1710 repair manual is: remove the wiring and parallel connector, remove backing washers from the plugs, and remove the plug. There aren't any warnings or cautions written for removal or installation. Plug and cylinder head threads are cleaned for installation.

The procedure in my manual is for removal and resistance measurement. A good plug measures 1 ohm. All three in a parallel network should measure 1/3 ohm, which is too small for many meters to measure reliably. Specs for a 1630 may be different.

I imagine that simply removing the wiring and taking resistance readings from the plug terminals to the head would accomplish the same thing, but manual procedures should be followed. If the parallel wiring was removed, continuity from the wiring harness to ground (with the pre-heat off) could be checked to see if a short between the key switch and plugs is present.

View my Photos
JimFFF

2002-11-18          45085

Sullivan-Dave, I have had the exact same problem with my TC29D lately. At first I thought the problem was in the starter solenoid. I even found the battery lead was very loose. The other day it did it again and I started investigating. I took the ignition switch out and checked it out (thought there might be a short in the contacts). It seemed to be okay and I continued checking things. Bear in mind that the tractor circuits were completely dead. The main fuse was fine this time. It had blown before just as yours did. I had the panels off in order to remove the ignition switch so I started wiggling harnesses around and the circuits came to life momemtarily. I kept moving the harness and the instrument panel lit up and stayed on. I never found the exact culprit but now I know where to look. It's a chaffed wire or a loose connection somewhere in the neighborhood of the relays just behind the ignition switch. It has started fine every time now for a couple of weeks. One of my projects for this winter is to find the exact problem. ....

View my Photos
sullivan-dave

2002-11-18          45105

I tested the plugs and found one glow plug had failed.
I also upgraded the starter switch.
She starts fine now. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-11-18          45107

Amen, thats what we are here for.
"Remember were all in this together. I'm pulling for you"
RG ....

View my Photos
Jeff Earthwerks Unli

2002-11-24          45336

My '02 33D with 40 hours on it also blew a 10 amp fuse 3 hours into brushhogging. The starter wouldn't even click (it was running fine until I turned off and it wouldn't start). New fuse and started right up and hasn't quit since (at 60 hours). ....

View my Photos
craig56

2002-12-10          45973

JimmFFF
I had same problem on my NH 1725. It was the the push on connector on the left side of the tractor that has the full 30 amp circuit on it. The connector was melted. I cut off this connector and put on a heavy duty spade terminal on it.
The connector terminals did not look like they could carry 30 amps to me ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-12-11          45998

I don't think it's the same thing, but the comment did make me think of fusable links. I do have a 30-A fusable link on my Ford and I have looked but haven't found it (buried in a wiring harness somewhere). I don't know exactly what it looks like but I guess it would be possible for me to inadvertently wire it out of the circuit. However, I don't imagine many people would have them. I think they were used only for a few years during the '80's and nobody liked them--myself included. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2002-12-11          46002

Same thing, my TC29D would blow the fuse as soon as you hit the glow plugs. One was shorted out. ....

View my Photos
marklugo

2002-12-12          46076

Maybe the simplest answer is to look for a grounded wire. Usually melted together in the harness or rubbed through on the frame. The movement of the wire in other repairs and general operation may temporarily stop the symptons. If it is a ghost like problem, it may be the answer. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login