Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4400 HST problem

View my Photos
dwilson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-09-25          32015

I reported a short time ago that my JD 4400 (1999 model with 200 hours) was lurching when going downhill. I took it in, and my dealer confirmed the problem. They conferred with Deere, who agreed to replace the HST. The tractor is back and working great. I urge anyone who has a similar problem to see their dealer. Thanks to the respondents on this board who offered advice, and thanks to Deere & Co. for standing by their product.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 4400 HST problem

View my Photos
Doug Huebner

2001-09-27          32068

I took mine is also. After reading the posts here and on the Yahoo boards, I took copies to the dealer. He contacted JD tech support and they picked up my tractor the next day. I am out of warrenty, but he said he would take care of it. Have not heard in two weeks. JD gave them a diagnostic procedure. The only thing they knew last week was there was metal filings in the hydro filter. We will see what happens. ....

JD 4400 HST problem

View my Photos
dwilson

2001-09-27          32070

The other Doug. I was out of warranty too, but they made good on it, and I am pretty sure my HST had the same problem as yours. If so, the solution should be the same. Be sure to let us know how it turns out, because we all need to know. If they stand behind their product, we need to know, and if they do not, we need to know that. ....

JD 4400 HST problem

View my Photos
Doug Huebner

2001-09-28          32090

Just had a word with the dealer. They are replacing the hydro at no cost to me. Should have it back the middle of next week.
I received the rebate / trade in letter in the mail. Asked the dealer for a quote. He came back with something about $3600 less the $800 rebate left about $2800 and my tractor [I keep my implements - FEL, BH, 72"MMM]. He said they deduct about $13/hour. With 200 hours on the clock that means no rebate. He also said that used were harder to sell, everyone wants new and that new and used values were dropping because of the rebate and the 4010 series coming. Not sure that I buy all that. I will try bugging JD to see if I can get a better deal after all the problems. I bought the 4300 for its reliability and am none too happy about having to pay more to get the same tractor with the problems fixed.
The dealer has been great - fixing everything without question. Even offered a free loaner until mine is fixed. ....

JD 4400 HST problem

View my Photos
Doug Huebner

2001-10-06          32231

The story continues: They are replacing the hydro at no cost to me. Slight delay in getting parts and getting them installed. So the dealer delivered not one, TWO loaners for my use until mine is ready. A nearly new 4400 [80 hours] and a 955 with loader and BH. I wonder if they would give me a good trade up deal on the 4400? ....

JD 4400 HST problem

View my Photos
JKellow354@fast.net

2002-03-19          36508

It's quite a shock to see the amount of fellow HST owners who are having severe problems with these units. I have had over $4000.00 in repairs done to my 1999 unit, all of which has been covered by Deere or the dealership ( in and out of warranty) but man what a hassle. From the get-go a rear tire fell off the tractor while mowing. All the lug nuts rolled off over a fifty hour period of time. From that point a hydro fluid pump went virtually disabling the tractor and then the apparently familiar problem that starts with jerky low speed handling and metal filings in the screen and then the transmission needing replacment. I have been without this unit for over 5 weeks total since I bought it. Did I mention the unit has only 300 hours on it and it is responsible for handling only 4 acres of light duty mowing? Here's the deal. If you are having any problems with these HST units at all get them in for a look see now. Have the transmission replaced and then sell the unit. That's right, sell it. They did not "fix" anything, they just set the time machine back to the start and it WILL go bad again in time. No re-engineered part was installed. Good luck. You'll need it. Remember, their is no lemon law for tractors - at least in Pennsylvania. ....

JD 4400 HST problem

View my Photos
TomG

2002-03-20          36524

Too bad! That's the sort of story I really don't like hearing. Good and perhaps even necessary information though. ....

JD 4400 HST problem

View my Photos
brentb

2002-03-20          36541

I have a 4200 hystat, and also had the jerky transmission problem. As I recall the problem was some non-heat treated washers (thrust washers) were installed that resulted in excessive wear.

Brent ....

JD 4400 HST problem

View my Photos
dwilson

2002-03-21          36573

We all know that there were problems with some HST transmissions on the JD 4400 in 1999, and mine was one of them. But so far as I have been able to learn, Deere has made good on all those bad transmissions, even those, like mine, that were out of warranty. Nobody likes trouble, much less down time, but Deere has been doing the right thing and standing behind its product. We do need to hear from those people who have had problems, and you have heard from me. But we also need to acknowledge the way those problems are dealt with by the company and the dealers. And we should recognize that the vast majority of JD 4000 series owners (how many tens of thousands did they sell?) are apparently well satisfied with their tractors. Mine has been a delight to own and work with, and I haven't heard anything, on this board or elsewhere, that indicates that Deere's fixes, such as the replacement transmissions, are temporary or cosmetic. Everything I hear points in the opposite direction, that Deere, while making a great tractor, also makes mistakes, but knows that it is in its own interest to make them right. ....

JD 4400 HST problem

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-03-21          36590

i have a 4700. when i'm travelling on a downhill slope (mowing, etc), it sometimes becomes difficult to maintain even foot control on the HST pedal, and the result is a jerkiness that can only be resolved by taking foot off pedal. It's sort of like when you're learning to drive a stick, and you let the clutch out too fast.
Is this the problem being described ????? I've assumed it was just my own inability to apply even pedal pressure.
jim ....

JD 4400 HST problem

View my Photos
brentb

2002-03-21          36596

The jerkiness problem I had was the inability to creep forward at a snails pace. I could do it when I got the tractor but then noticed a lunge. ....

JD 4400 HST problem

View my Photos
dwilson

2002-03-22          36607

Jim and Brent. These symptoms sound like they could be HST transmission problems similar to what the rest of us encountered. You should consult with your dealer right away. ....

JD 4400 HST problem

View my Photos
The other WI Doug

2002-03-22          36610

As the other Doug mentioned, it could be. I had what might be considered a surging problem when moving forward on a downhill slope. The most noticable and annoying part for me was trying to back up to an implement to attach it. Before I had the problem I could inch along as smoothly as I like and position to the arms of the three point. Once I started having problems, It would move several inches at a time - the fine control was no longer there. Like the others I had it fixed at JDs expense even though it was out of warrenty. The dealer cleared it though the regional rep. It is a major operation because they split the tractor in two at the point where the engine meets the floor board. JD made it none too convenient to do. The hydro itself was surprisingly small. I saw the bill and it was in excess of $3,000. I would have your dealer check it and push to have it fixed at JD's cost, if that is the problem. It may be like the "secret warrentys" that the auto industry gets into trouble for from time to time where it does not get fixed unless you complain loud enough. Good luck. ....

JD 4400 HST problem

View my Photos
TomG

2002-03-23          36637

My comment is an operations tip and not about the HST issue. I always have jerkiness backing up to an implement. I have gears rather than HST.

Most of the time I can put at least one lower link in the bracket the first try. I used to get on and off the tractor trying to line up the pins better and lever the implement around with a pry bar. Now I point the loader bucket down and dig it in. I can move the tractor a few inches back and forth with the loader curl. If an implement isn't quite square to the hitch, I put in the closest lower pin and then push the tractor back with the curl. Most times it squares up the implement.

I may still have to align pins using the 3ph leveler sometimes and occasionally a pry bar, but I virtually never use the TX to make fine position adjustments anymore.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login