Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD790 Battery Woes - Cont

View my Photos
Rob Munach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-02-25          24671

I called my dealer and John Deere regarding what I considered excessive corrosion in a short time on the battery of my 790. JD, of course, knew nothing about it. My dealer said it was happening to 790's on his lot but JD had not given him a solution. Last Friday, my dealer called and said to bring in my battery and he will replace it with a better one. Apparently, JD had contacted him and said they ARE having problems the 790 batteries and replacing it with a different model seems to fix it. I'll keep you guys posted.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Glen Schattner

2001-02-26          24732

Rob,

Yes...please keep us posted...Maybe there will be some nation wide battery replacement program. Chance to get a better battery,

How long have you had your 790/ original battery? ....

View my Photos
Jim Warrell

2001-02-26          24741

I have a JD 4300 year 2000 that has original battery. I weeps or leaks out the vents and or caps. I called the local JD dealer. He could only warranty the battery and replace it with an identical replacement. I went to a local parts store and ordered a Delco-Freedom battery. The two I have in my diesel truck don't leak so one should work well in a JD tractor. Jim in Middleton, Id. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-02-27          24746

The battery in my Ford 1710 bit the dust. I replaced it with an automotive battery. The main reason was that my dealer is two hours away, and batteries can't be shipped. The automotive battery works fine. However, tractor specs should be checked to make sure an automotive battery has adequate cranking amp as well as amp-hour capacity. Even small diesels take a lot of cranking amps. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-02-27          24751

Am I missing something here? Why not just junk the battery and replace it with something like an Optima round cell or any other 12 volt sealed automotive battery? Batteries are cheap. As far as I know there is nothing special about the JD battery....nor any other compact tractor battery. Every car battery that I know of has more amp capacity than any of the compact tractor batteries, and electrically there is no problem in replacing a battery with another of the same voltage. ....

View my Photos
Rob Allen

2001-02-27          24753

I have a 1999 JD4300. It would not start over the weekend, I could not believe how much corrosion was on the battery. It also seems to be leaking, rusting the mounting plate. The dealer states that the battery is a "special" one and I will have trouble find one. The also stated that an automotive battery plates are only mounted on the top and for off road use I will need a battery with the plates mounted both top and bottom. I would like to find a HD sealed battery that will fit. I would put the optima in but it is to large. Jim which battery did you order from Delco? ....

View my Photos
Rob Allen

2001-02-27          24755

Note: the JD part number that will fit 4300 is TY24395 $70.88 ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-02-27          24791

Rob, the information you are getting from your dealer is not correct. Most of the older tractors I've seen in the last 50 years are running automotive batteries and doing just fine with it. Since your dealer has probably seen more tractors than I have, he knows this better than I do.....and no matter which way I try to pursue this line of thought I keep ending up at an upleasant conclusion, so I'll stop there.
It does seem that it will be up to you to fix the problem. If you elect to do so via the dealer it may help if you gently point out that it is his "special" battery that is causing the problem in the first place. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-02-27          24792

I with you, Roger. I don't see the big deal about changing batteries. ....

View my Photos
Jim Warrell

2001-02-27          24797

Rob, I bought a Delco Freedom battery, mod.# 35 6 yr. Took it home and decided that it was too big. 6 3/4" deep, 8 3/8" long and 8" tall. The tabs that keep the battery away from the radiator have to be bent down out of the way for this battery. The battery I ordered was not a sealed unit but one with the same oozing vent caps. Looked identical to JD. Group 22nf. I will take my 35 6 yr back and look for a smaller sealed battery and get back to you. Jim ....

View my Photos
Jim Warrell

2001-03-04          25034

After checking out different batteries, I found a Delco Freedom battery the same size as the JD for my 4300. It only had 470 cranking amps! Back to the 35 6 yr Delco! My dealer said I would need about an inch of clearance away from the radiator. I made a petit frame from angle iron with a hold-down bracket for the top and 2 j-hooks from an auto parts store. Looks great and it works fine. An experienced person at an auto-electrical repair shop said that the little 5"x8 3/4" battery I took out{22nf} was identical to one made for the 67 Mustang! Jim in Middleton ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login