Go Bottom Go Bottom

Expensive Day on the 790

View my Photos
Rob Munach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-08-06          18551

Went to go clear some trails today with my 790, Bushog and chainsaw. I put the chainsaw in the bucket and went on my journey. I was carrying a pair of branch cutters on my lap so I could cut some annoying branches that overhung my path. While i was reaching to cut a branch while seated in the tractor with the Bushog running, I must have accidently un-curled the loader bucket and dropping my Stihl 026 chainsaw in my path. The next thing I know I heard a loud banging from the bushog and I thought, "that's funny, I don't remember a stump in this trail" I quickly raised the bushog and witnessed my 026 come flying out from under it. I think the engine may still start, but it is a total loss. I guess I now have one for parts. No harm done to the Bushog SQ600.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Expensive Day on the 790

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-08-06          18552

Rob, I've learned a lot of things that way myself. I believe the more expensive the lesson, the better you learn and remember it. ....

Expensive Day on the 790

View my Photos
Mike

2000-08-07          18578

Rob,I recently experienced an expensive day on our 2710,my wife and I had just completed burying 2500 ft. of wire for a dog containment fence.I got onto our tractor when I noticed a shovel behind me on the ground,when getting back off to pick up the spade,I managed to step from the tractor platform into a small depression in the yard.I had my full weight on my left foot when I stepped off.Well,I went down like I'd been shot,my first thought was that I had broken my ankle,my wife was close by,and also thought it was broke.Turns out it was a major-league spain,with a lot of damage.I felt lucky it was'nt broken.By the time I can get back to work,I will have lost several hundred bucks,if not in the thousands.This will be one of those expensive lessons,learned the hard way,and will soon not be forgotten.Just a reminder that things can happen very quickly,and the majority of accidents can be prevented when your heads in the game. ....

Expensive Day on the 790

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-08-07          18579

Mike, I've twisted an ankle just a little bit a couple of times stepping down from the tractor, but fortunately never enough to be worse than a little soreness for a day or two, but your message reminded me of a neighbor who has an Oliver 1755 (two step "ladder" down from the platform) and a couple of years ago, he had to go through a gate, putting out hay, and didn't want the cattle to get through, so he got down, chased the cows away from the gate, opened it, hurried to get back on the tractor and through the gate, then hurrying to get down and back to close the gate, he fell off and twisted a knee very badly. Not only did the cows all get through, but he was laid up for a week (so I got to take care of putting out the hay for awhile for him). Just a reminder; be especially careful getting off if you're in a hurry. ....

Expensive Day on the 790

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-08-07          18580

Mike, I've twisted an ankle just a little bit a couple of times stepping down from the tractor, but fortunately never enough to be worse than a little soreness for a day or two, but your message reminded me of a neighbor who has an Oliver 1755 (two step "ladder" down from the platform) and a couple of years ago, he had to go through a gate, putting out hay, and didn't want the cattle to get through, so he got down, chased the cows away from the gate, opened it, hurried to get back on the tractor and through the gate, then hurrying to get down and back to close the gate, he fell off and twisted a knee very badly. Not only did the cows all get through, but he was laid up for a week (so I got to take care of putting out the hay for awhile for him). Just a reminder; be especially careful getting off if you're in a hurry. ....

Expensive Day on the 790

View my Photos
mbjacobs

2000-08-07          18604

Rob, thanks for posting your story, I thought I was the only one who did things like that.

My loader control has a little gizmo that can be flipped down to lock out roll-back and dump. I never understood why it was there. You can bet that from now on when I carry tools in my bucket that little gizmo will bw flipped down ....

Expensive Day on the 790

View my Photos
Alan L. Lewis

2000-08-07          18608

I carry my chainsaw in my loader all the time. I have forgotten about it and dumped it out before, but fortunately I haven't run over it with the cutter.

As for the ankle sprain, I thought that story was going to result in 2500 feet of wire being cut up. Count your blessings it was only an ankle.

Speaking of safety I seem to have particular problem getting my lever handles caught under my britches leg when I get off the tractor. Its too dang hot to wear long britches, but they are safer. I have landed on my shoulder before, but with no injuries. ....

Expensive Day on the 790

View my Photos
TomG

2000-08-08          18612

Yes, I think that happens more than anybody would like to admit. Not long ago, I was using chain and grab hooks with my 3ph pallet forks to haul and dump some earth filled 55 gallon drums out of the bush. I had some septic stone in the loader for ballast and carried the chain on top of the gravel. On the way back, I though 'Oh yeah, better dump the stone in the leeching pit I was building.' Parked the tractor and thought: 'Where did that chain get to.' Searched all over before realizing I had dumped it into the pit and covered it with stone. Now I had wonder exactly where the chain was and dig for it with a shovel while making myself late for dinner. Not expensive, but very aggravating. Digging septic stone with a shovel isn't a good time. ....

Expensive Day on the 790

View my Photos
jeff cochran

2000-08-08          18622

Since we're all fessing up here's one for you. I have an electric automatic gate on my driveway up near the road. Since it's such a pain to always have to get on and off the tractor I started driving up real close to it so I could lean way over and flip the power on and off. To get close enough I have to raise my front end loader higher than the gate. So one day I pull up real close to the gate, throw the tractor out of gear and lean way over to reach the power switch on the gate. Unfortunately my big ole belly leaned over with me and pressed against the joystick on my loader sending it downward with full force onto my gate burying it about 3 inches into the ground and twisting the hinges and pins all to heck. I spent about 2 hours fixing the thing. Didn't take that long to install it. ....

Expensive Day on the 790

View my Photos
Stan

2000-08-08          18629

After reading this conversation, I felt I have to add something. I work for a state highway department, and this subject comes up quite frequently, being trucks, tractors, or any equipment. First of all, there are more minor injuries (including broken bones) from people getting out of or off of equipment than anything else. So, our rule is this (and is strictly enforced): Get out of the machine the same way you got in - or get off the machine the same way you got on. In other words, back off the machine. Also, use 3 points of contact at all times - 2 feet and one hand, or 1 foot and 2 hands. It will feel uncomfortable and ackward at first, but it does work. I've fallen off the fuel tank step of a truck, and was lucky not to get hurt. Take your time, and get off the same way you got on. ....

Expensive Day on the 790

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-08-08          18636

Stan, I, for one, appreciate the comments. Having been a safety officer several years ago, I should have remembered that policy (but hadn't thought about it in several years), and it's a good one, very good advice. ....

Expensive Day on the 790

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2000-08-09          18666

Thank you Stan, that's good advice. I'll have to try to remember and use it. I'm one of those who has ripped more than one pair of shorts and/or taken a tumble getting on and off the tractor because they get hung up on the levers. It makes you feel such a fool to get caught AGAIN and AGAIN but it is nice to know that I'm not alone. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login